PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sweden and a quick question

Daneroo
08-13-2012, 04:00
Greetings everyone!

First of all, a short introduction of myself. My names Dan and I live in a small town in Sweden. My previous trips to USA opened the door for me to the world of bourbon. Unfortunately the selection here in Sweden is quite limited, to say the least. I have my own import business so hopefully I can increase the selection a bit in the future. You can buy online but the price per bottle is around 2-3 times what you pay in USA.

Next week Im going on a 5 week road trip along the west coast, from Seattle down to San Diego and up to Las Vegas. Spending the 6 final days in New York. Which leads me to my question: are there any shops along my route that is worth to pay a visit? Ive searched around on the internet but havent found anything useful. I might suck at google, I dont know. As Im fairly new to bourbon Im not looking for any "dusties" in particular. My favorites so far are OGD 114 and GTS.

From what Ive read, this forum seems like a very nice one and Im happy to be a (very small) part of it.

/Dan

sutton
08-13-2012, 05:19
Hello Dan and welcome ...

While in California, try K&L http://www.klwines.com/store_locations.asp

They have a good spirits selection and you can see their inventory online. Happy shopping!

Daneroo
08-13-2012, 06:37
sutton: thank you very much for your swift reply! I will definitely check out K&L. I will need a bigger suitcase.

unclebunk
08-13-2012, 06:40
Hello Dan and welcome to SB. That sounds like an interesting trip and you should definitely take in some quality beer while traveling the west coast. One thing to consider is how much whiskey you intend to buy and, more importantly, how you intend to get it home. As to selection and prices, that will vary greatly, even from one store to the next within the same community, so you do have to look around a bit. My experience has been that New York will generally be at the top end of the price range, so your best bet may be the larger stores in California including the one suggested by Mark in his post. I'm sure the many west coasters who regularly contribute will have some other suggestions, so you may wish to be more specific as to where you will be going during your trip in order to narrow down the best locations to shop. Have fun and good luck!

sailor22
08-13-2012, 07:40
These should keep you busy on Google and yield some juice you won't typically find in Sweden. Since your traveling perhaps some people could chime in with recommended well stocked bars that will let you sample a lot of different Bourbon while your on the road. My bar experiences are limited and dated but I think you might enjoy 7 Grand in LA and in New York Tailor, Brandy Library and Keen's. I'm sure local people in San Fan, LA and NYC will have more up to date recommendations.

Liquor stores--
West Coast -- K&L, D&M, Ledgers, Hi TIme, Beltramo's, Bev Mo
NYC -- Astor, Drink Up NY, Park Ave

Daneroo
08-14-2012, 06:55
Thank you all for all the suggestions! You guys are really helpful.

Unclebuck: Im going to visit North Coast Brewing in Fort Bragg and Anchor Brewing in SF. Perhaps I might convince my girlfriend to visit SLO Brewing Company as well. Ill throw in a few vineyards to increase my odds. Portland has a few interesting micro breweries as well. Cant wait!

sailor22: thank you! Ill check them out and hopefully I can visit most of them.

Bourbon Boiler
08-14-2012, 16:43
Silly question here, but I assume you're driving from Seattle-San Diego-Las Vegas and then flying to New York? If you're driving from Vegas to New York, your possibilities are nearly endless.

jtexaslonestar
08-14-2012, 19:42
Welcome to the forum and I hope your travels yield a full and bountiful suitcase!:cool:

Restaurant man
08-14-2012, 21:54
Please fill us in on the Haul and how it fares in the taste department. have a blast!

Daneroo
08-14-2012, 22:50
Bourbon Boiler: not a silly question at all. But yes, youre right, Im flying between Las Vegas and New York. Dont have the time to drive, unfortunately.

jtexaslonestar: thank you! I will try to buy some of my girlfriends luggage space for a few bottles extra :)

Restaurant man: Thanks! I will try to keep you updated along the journey.

macdeffe
08-15-2012, 00:24
Hi Daneroo. I have been holidaying a lot in that area. (I am from Denmark). Visiting more than 15 breweries and a few distilleries. Beer wise. Loads of great opportunities. I've been to North coast. It's a nice ares. Make sure you don't miss "Avenue of the Giants" Those redwoods are liking visitong another planet. And I found AotG to be the best part. I never managed to find Anchors visitor centre but I was driving around looking for it. My favourite brewey is Russian River in Santa Rosa. Beer just doesn't get much better. They have a pizza place at their brewery so it can be combined with a food stop. I particular like their Ipa's (Pliny anyone?). They also have a good selection of belgian styles and barrelaged beer. I have also enjoyed visiting Charbay in the same area and Las Vegas Distillery in Las Vegas and Saint George in Alameda. Shopwise I have often been to KL and Beltramo between San Jose and SF. They are quite close. You should also try visit WADE's just of the interstate in Westlake north of LA. Not the cheapest shop but fantastic selection. And for us Scandinavians the price difference will be nothing to concern :-)

Steffen

Daneroo
08-15-2012, 13:12
Hello macdeffe!

Anchor brewing requires reservation ahead via phone if you want to take the tour. But i guess anyone can go to the visitor center. Russian River sounds like a nice stop. Only problem is that we are going to stay in Fort Bragg and proceed to SF the next day. And I know that my girlfriend is not that keen on driving there. So, no beer for me :(

I will write down all your tips so I have a few shops to choose from. And regarding the price, you are quite right. Any bottle over there will feel like a bargain :)

/Dan

macdeffe
08-15-2012, 14:40
Don't listen to the girlfriend :-) Fort Bragg to SF will take you straight through Santa Rosa, and you need to stop a place and have lunch anyway :-)

Steffen

Daneroo
08-16-2012, 06:41
It is definitely worth a try :)

smokinjoe
08-16-2012, 06:53
Don't listen to the girlfriend :-) Fort Bragg to SF will take you straight through Santa Rosa, and you need to stop a place and have lunch anyway :-)

Steffen

Plus, the Bottle Barn liquor store is in Santa Rosa. Very nice selection of bourbon with good prices.

Heck Daneroo, just send us your calendar, and we'll fill in your itinerary for you! :D

Daneroo
08-16-2012, 07:01
smokinjoe: Haha! I might just do that. This place is more helpful than I could ever imagine.
My girlfriend is thrilled at the moment :)

Bourbon Boiler
08-16-2012, 10:42
...just send us your calendar, and we'll fill in your itinerary for you! :D

We might extend it by a week on each end, but we'll still keep it full.

smokinjoe
08-16-2012, 11:45
Wait a cotton pickin' minute!! The way I figure it, you're going to be in the USA during the week of the Kentucky Bourbon Festival. New Plans!!!!!! :D

Daneroo
08-16-2012, 22:39
"Honey! Come here for a sec. I just made a new route. Before San Diego well head for Kentucky. Sure, it might look like a detour, but its going to be worth it (for me)!".

Damnit smokinjoe, you just reminded me that Im in USA during the festival. I doubt Ill make it this year since my girlfriend has 51 % of the votes when it comes to bigger decisions. But next year Ill make a note in the calendar for september.

p_elliott
08-16-2012, 23:55
Welcome to the site, I hope you have a great trip! Make your reservations for the General Nelson this year for next year or you won't get a room.