PDA

View Full Version : New from Cincy

Mikede1285
12-18-2012, 21:46
Hello Everyone,

I've been a lurker on the site for a couple of weeks now and figured it was about time to introduce myself. I've been having a great time going through all the different old threads and can't believe how many new things I have already learned.

Bourbon has been my drink of choice since first coming to Cincinnati for college. Of course, like most college age kids, I really just started out drinking Beam, EW or MM with mixers and taking shots because it was a "man's drink." Finally, over the last several years, I've really started to appreciate good bourbon and begun to branch out and try new things (neat or with a splash of water now, in case you were worried). I typically drink ER10, Woodford and BT these days. I've been tasting my way through TPS FR SB selections since one of my friends introduced me to them last year and I think these are becoming my new favorites. I was also able to pick up a few of the 2012 FR LE SmB recently, and I can safely say this is the best bourbon I have yet to taste.

i look forward to getting to know more of you and learning more about everything that is out there. I think just reading through some of SB has already made my bourbon experience much better.

Any recommendations on some of the other bourbons I should try would be great. It seems that living right across the river from NKY has some great advantages for the bourbon drinker and helpful info on places I should go would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Mike

clingman71
12-19-2012, 07:39
Welcome. The NKY-Covington-Newport-Bellvue area is bourbon heaven. I live an hour away, but try to hit the area once a month or so.

Ejmharris
12-19-2012, 07:46
Mike welcome to the board from another Cincinnati Mike. There is a member trying to get a Rye tasting set up in early January, if you are interested. If you can not we could always try to get some of the local guys together for an informal tasting as well. Looking forward to your thoughts and comments on the board.

Mike

Tony
12-19-2012, 08:12
Howdy and welcome from up in Michigan.

Glad to have you here and agree with you about the FRSmB 2012, great stuff.

Best regards, Tony

Beer&Bourbon
12-19-2012, 08:59
Welcome to the board. I'm a graduate student at UC and I'm the one hosting a rye tasting in January: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?18795-Rye-tasting-in-Cincinnati-OH

I'm a big fan of 4R as well. If you can't make it to the January event, we can surely hold a more informal tasting some time in the new year. Cheers!

Roger

squire
12-19-2012, 10:51
Hello Mike, welcome aboard. Yes, you are indeed well located.

Mikede1285
12-20-2012, 08:16
Thanks for the invite to the tasting, guys. I'm not going to be able to attend this one, but if you are all getting together for another informal tasting some other time this winter or spring I'd love to join.

Roger, I am part-time in grad school at UC for finance. What program are you in?

Beer&Bourbon
12-21-2012, 09:58
Immunobiology. I'll try to host (or get someone else to host) another tasting - probably in the spring sometime.