PDA

View Full Version : Sale on Binny's Hand-picked Rendezvous

Alphanumeric
01-04-2013, 22:58
I was just looking at Binny's site tonight and noticed a Sales link. Followed it and lo and behold, Binny's Hand-picked Rendezvous was there at the other end. Staring at me. Tempting me to buy it.

Now, I try to limit my alcohol purchasing (scoff away) and my upcoming purchase was supposed to be a bottle of Maraschino. However, this sale Rendezvous is five bucks cheaper than standard Rendezvous, and 100 proof (versus 92) to boot. So I guess I'll have to wait on that Maraschino.

Anyone tried this Binny's version? Any remarks?

Anyway, I'll be off to purchase a bottle tomorrow. I'm not sure how long this has been/will be on sale, but I thought I'd give all you High West fans a heads-up.

Edit: I'd like to clarify that I am not purchasing this solely because it is on sale. I've only heard good things about the regular Rendezvous and it's been on my whiskey list so I figured this was a good opportunity to finally get a bottle. For those interested, it's normally $59.99 and is currently $49.99. And Double Rye! Binny's HP is going for $36.99 instead of the usual $44.99.

ChainWhip
01-04-2013, 23:26
Too bad they don't ship to WA State. I love the regular Rendezvous & that 100proof version would be right up my alley!

tanstaafl2
01-05-2013, 12:56
A local store here in Atlanta alslo had a "hand picked" 100 proof HW Rendezvous rye available. I picked one up but haven't opened it. The local one was supposedly given additional aging of about 2 years in the barrel as well.

Of course it also was given a higher price here as well. I am curious if it is a similar bottling. Hard to tell as there is not much info on the Binny's website about it that I see.

TheRod
01-08-2013, 16:11
Im a huge High West fan. Would love to see a pic of the bottle if you pick it up...or any info on whether the labeling is different.

AaronWF
01-08-2013, 16:56
The Binny's Rendezvous was re-barreled and aged for a time (can't recall how long) in a barrel previously used to age HW's barreled manhattan, 36th Vote. Their Double Rye! Was re-barreled in a Four Roses barrel. I tasted both and was disappointed by the Rendezvous. The re-barrel seemed to mute the more subtle notes of the 16yo component of the whiskey, leaving behind the minty, dilly influence of the younger LDI.

It's been a few years since I've had regular Rendezvous, but I used to be a big fan.

I thought the re-barreling improved the DR!, the regular bottling of which I am not a fan. The young waxy notes I remember from the bottle I had a few years ago were washed away with the barrel influence for a sweeter, fuller whiskey, but not something I need on my bar at the price it goes for.

TheRod
01-09-2013, 10:13
Thanks for the review. I'm intrigued by the higher proof, but not excited about the finished barrels. I'll pass for now.

Lost Pollito
01-09-2013, 10:17
The Double Rye is the one that was finished in the Manhattan Barrel. The Rendezvous was in the Four Roses barrel.

AaronWF
01-09-2013, 11:22
The Double Rye is the one that was finished in the Manhattan Barrel. The Rendezvous was in the Four Roses barrel.

Whoops, got them reversed, thanks Joe.

trumpstylz
01-17-2013, 09:58
Alpha, have you cracked it open yet? What did you think (i guess it is hard though, having no basis for comparison if you've never had regular rezendevous).

Alphanumeric
01-17-2013, 19:14
Well, I went out the next day and purchased a bottle. Aaron's comment disappoints me a little, but I'm sure it'll still be worthwhile.

Trump: I have yet to crack it open, so I can't provide a review. There are far too many open bottles languishing on my bar already. I'll be sure to post back here when I do end up opening it though (probably in March). Hopefully some regular Rendezvous will have passed my lips by that point.

DaveOfAtl
01-17-2013, 19:23
Yep, that is the same stuff a store in Atlanta (Holeman & Finch Bottle Shop) is selling down here for MUCH MORE more. I posted about it on the "What Rye Are You Drinking" thread. I like it a lot, a good bit more than the regular Rendezvous. I loved the additional proof and actually found less of the dill pickle juice component I normally get from Rendezvous. I also thought there was some additional sweetness imparted from the refill bourbon barrels.

Now, with all that said, the fact that you guys are paying $49.99 and I paid $70 makes me sick.

ChainWhip
01-17-2013, 19:57
Now, with all that said, the fact that you guys are paying $49.99 and I paid $70 makes me sick.

Does Binnys ship to GA?

DaveOfAtl
01-17-2013, 20:02
No, my understanding is that TPS is the only one that will ship here.

Dolph Lundgren
01-24-2013, 12:10
I could taste a bit of the Manhatten barrel (I think). I only had the DR, but I thought it was amazing - sweet and spice (maybe allspice?). I brought the bottle to a friends and it was gone by the time I left. Bought another the following day. I was at a Binny's location last night and all of the select HW barrels were gone. It was def worth it.

Jono
01-24-2013, 13:07
Binny's has a 15% off coupon this weekend.

OscarV
01-24-2013, 14:02

But what's the password?

Jono
01-24-2013, 14:16
Just sign up for their newsletter. The coupon came as something to print off via email

Valid 1/26 - in store only.....you need a Binny's card too.

squire
01-24-2013, 14:49
If I spend enough do I get a Gold Binny's card?

Jono
01-24-2013, 15:41
Lost Pollito will have to answer that one!

Alphanumeric
01-24-2013, 23:08

Damn you. I'm already past quota for this month's purchases. I hold you accountable if my liquor shelf gives out.

Jono
01-25-2013, 13:56
Think of it this way, Feb is a short month so you would just be borrowing a few days from Jan to even things out.

squire
01-25-2013, 16:01
Oh that's a good one Alpha, I usually rely on the 'my liquor bill doesn't match your shoe purchases' retort.

Jono
01-26-2013, 13:19
Well, I pulled the trigger an snapped up a bottle...the last in the case...of Rendezvous Rye from my local Binny's and decided to grab
a JW Green as well (just due to the supposed ending of the line and word of mouth).