PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

ATXWhiskey
02-28-2013, 15:55
Hello from Austin,

I'm a suburban housewife and I'm looking for where I can find a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle this month for my husband's birthday. He really likes to drink bourbon and coke so I'm looking for the BEST whiskey to give him to mix with coke!

Seriously, I'm just kidding. Figured you guys would appreciate that. My name is Tony and I'm a fellow bourbon nerd who lives in Austin and works at the Capitol. I've been reading the forums for about a year now and finally signed up so that I can post.

I've got a pretty good collection of bourbon at the house -- quite a few BTAC, some Pappy, some Jefferson's, some ... actually, its quite a bit so I won't go through it all. I have a bit of a buying habit. My favorites lately have been this year's PHC, this year's ER17 and a bottle of the FRSB 100th Anniversary 17 year OBSV.

I recently was inspired to do a little dusty hunting before session and found a bottle of WTAS (the mint notes are great) and some old UD bottles of Old Charter 8 but not much more other than that.

I'm hoping to make a bit of a pilgrimmage to Kentucky this summer or fall after the session. I went through Ky a couple of years back and visited the Maker's Mark Distillery but it was right as I was really getting into whisky and before I really knew anything. I'd much rather see Four Roses or Heaven Hill at this point.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I lover reading the forums. I'll share any interesting news or good finds.

wadewood
02-28-2013, 16:53
Welcome! If you are looking for old dusties in Austin, you probably will not have much luck. The WTAS is a modern dusty. We have a long time very knowledgeable member in Austin, Mozilla, but don't think he visits the site anymore. He loved his old bottom shelf dusty bourbons and I think cleared Austin out of that.

Tony
02-28-2013, 17:07
Good day and welcome from another Tony.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

ChainWhip
02-28-2013, 17:22
Welcome to SB! I lived down there for a bit during the Internet boom - lots of good people here to learn from.

Bourbon Boiler
02-28-2013, 17:25
Welcome. If you're looking to go to 4R, and you are really interested in the process, make sure they aren't on a seasonal shutdown. I've yet to see stills operating.

squire
02-28-2013, 17:27
Welcome aboard Tony, look forward to your contributions. Come visit us in the chatroom, the icon is located on the lower left hand corner of your screen.

ATXWhiskey
02-28-2013, 19:51
I just caught the end of the Twin Liquors dollar sale today.($5-$10-$20 discounts on everything.) I was blown away to find two bottles of OWA w the age statement. (I've had my eyes peeled for it for a while.) The bottle appears to be from '07. Obviously I picked them both up. I'd heard a lot about them and it isn't disappointing, especially at the discount.

I also decided to try the new Bulleit 10yr at $30. I'll share my thoughts on that one for sure.

ATXWhiskey
02-28-2013, 20:03
The Buleit 10 is pretty good. Very different. It has plenty of flavor, but its light and delicate; like a whisper. This is much better than I expected. I expected it to be a bit of marketing, but its a very unique product.

SFS
03-01-2013, 09:26
ATX, was the Bulleit 10 on sale for $30, or is that the normal price there? It's $45 here.

Tennessee Dave
03-01-2013, 12:58
Welcome to the gang Tony.

Special Reserve
03-02-2013, 06:35
Tony,

Welcome to SB. I liked your intro.

Will

fishnbowljoe
03-02-2013, 10:34
Welcome Tony. Hope you have a good time here.

I agree with Will. I liked your introduction too. :lol:

ATXWhiskey
03-02-2013, 18:26
ATX, was the Bulleit 10 on sale for $30, or is that the normal price there? It's $45 here.

It was Twin Liquor's crazy dollar sale. The price is normally around $45 at Spec's and closer to $50 at Twins. This isn't some promised land of low prices, just a good three day sale right before inventory day (I suspect).

Meruck
03-02-2013, 18:59
Tony, I recommend a Hill and Hill mid 70s bottling to mix with coke

redbear
03-13-2013, 05:22
Hi, and welcome. I'm in Austin too.

Mozilla did clean out the town. There are no real dusties left in Austin. I've brought back a couple from other parts of the country though. Let me know if you'd like a taste.

timd
03-13-2013, 11:17
Welcome aboard Tony! Glad to have more Texans here. As noted, most of the bigger cities have been more than sucked dry on dusties - and the outlying areas as well. But plenty of folks around here have great bunkers and are always happy to share.

Enjoy your time here - and welcome to the Whiskey addiction!

drunk
03-13-2013, 12:25
Welcome! If you do make the pilgrimage, I highly recommend visiting Buffalo Trace.

staplegund
03-14-2013, 16:28
Enjoyed your intro, ATX. I need to go down to the Specs in ELP soon. I hear they have a good variety.

LostBottle
03-15-2013, 13:34
Ha, best intro I've seen! Welcome to StraigthBourbon.