PDA

View Full Version : Bottle that kick started your bourbon obsession?

geereg
06-03-2013, 07:52
For me, it was a bottle of JPS18. I had enjoyed bourbon before and sipped some delicious offerings, but I went through a bottle of JPS18 quickly a few years back and my wallet has never been the same since.

Lazer
06-03-2013, 07:54
It was probably PHC 1st ed.

callmeox
06-03-2013, 07:56
Plain old Four Roses single barrel started it all for me.

whiskeyagonzo
06-03-2013, 08:11
For me it was a couple of Ryes. Whistle Pig & Handy. I was hooked and then migrated to bourbon. The first bourbon that gave me the fever was a private Willett offering and Angel's Envy CS.

michaelturtle1
06-03-2013, 08:14
Lot B at a friends house, which led to purchasing Mckenzie Bourbon during a visit to Finger Lakes Distilling...

Wryguy
06-03-2013, 08:15
BT and Rittenhouse BiB.

Yeti
06-03-2013, 08:19
Lagavulin 16 led me to chase the Scotch dragon for a while. The cost brought me to bourbon, and the flavor kept me here. If I had to nail down one particular bottle that heralded the transition it would probably be William Larue Weller or George T. Stagg.

portwood
06-03-2013, 08:22
Glenlivet 12yo was the first "serious" whisky.
From there, a wide range of Scotch
From there, some Canadian whisky - the vast majority of which don't do anything for me - even as a Canadian!
From there, a wide range of Bourbon & Rye - the first of which was EC12

squire
06-03-2013, 08:40
Drinking Old Grand Dad with the men who reared me.

wadewood
06-03-2013, 08:54
I always liked bourbon, but what started me collecting and bunkering was ORVW 15/107 ordered from Binny's around 2001.

ChainWhip
06-03-2013, 08:55
Ardbeg 10 started it all but I got into bourbon with the help of Baker's, FRSB, & Jefferson's Reserve. Rye introductions done were by Whistlepig, RittBiB, & WTR101.

HP12
06-03-2013, 09:00
Scotch and Highland Park 12 got me pulled in to whisk(e)y world. Transitioned to bourbon with the PHC line inspiring further exploration. And as they say... the rest is history.

docbible
06-03-2013, 09:06
Weller 19 was a favorite and always on the shelf. I gave a bottle as a gift to land owners who allowed me to hunt on their property and always had a bottle open at home. The next thing i knew, it was out of production never to return. I realized I should start researching and stocking up on bottles I enjoyed. I keep telling myself the duck and goose hunting was worth the $50 - $60 I spent on weller 19, hirsch 16, pappy 15, etc... Who could have predicted the insane prices and demand in today's market. tim

dustyj
06-03-2013, 09:16
Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. Got it home and my wife and I thought it was the best bourbon we had ever tasted. So I went back to get some more and it was the only one they had. The store Mgt. told me she could order some more. Well it had long been a dusty at that point......so the HUNT WAS ON!!!!!!! Still haven't given up.

squire
06-03-2013, 09:17
Who indeed Tim, a decade or so back we were estimating when Julian would run out of the stock he was using for his Old Commonwealth and Van Winkle brands.

SMOWK
06-03-2013, 09:27
Stagg, ORVW 15/107, OGDBIB

Variable
06-03-2013, 09:28
Late last year, I bought a bottle of ER 101 purchased on sale at my local liquor monger. I was quite saddened to find out later via this forum that particular juice is no longer being made. I have since cleaned him out of his last bottles. I am not a dusty hunter, but I must admit I always keep an eye out for ER 101 :)

Kalessin
06-03-2013, 09:28
In the spring of 2001, I was laid off from my full-time computer job. By 2003, I was working in theater doing sets and stage lighting, and little bits of computer consulting if I could find it, but money was super-tight and I had slowly consumed most of my stash of scotch. When out looking for less-expensive scotches, I passed by the American whiskey section, thought of my grandfather (who liked bourbon and blended scotch), and bought a bottle of EC12 on sale for $15.99.

It was a very good choice. I've found variation in the EC12, but the first few bottles that I bought were all just sublime... :)

VT Mike
06-03-2013, 09:30
ORVW 10yr 107, it was the one that made me realize there was more out there than Maker's Mark and Knob Creek back in 2003 or 2004.

stiffchainey
06-03-2013, 09:37
OGD, back in 2000, I guess. I was 22-23. Before I just had JB and JD ...

ChicagoFlyer
06-03-2013, 09:42
My first project on the road sent me to Bardstown for the summer of 2008. A couple of my teammates and I took in a number of the tours that summer and enjoyed pours of Buffalo Trace and Four Roses. In the last week of my stint I went into Liquor World and asked for something that would be a good souvenir and wasn't available in Chicago. I walked out with 3 bottles of Willett Family Estate bottled for the store, one for me and 2 for my buddies as gifts. I got home, opened that bottle and the rest is history. The two friend bottles never made it out of my house but they were always available for sharing. To this day I still always have a Willett open for sharing and story telling.

qman22
06-03-2013, 09:42
Blanton's at a cigar event. Didn't really know what I was drinking at the time, just knew that I liked it. My bourbon drinking snowballed from there.

Trey Manthey
06-03-2013, 09:43
I used to drink MM and Jameson and didn't think it could get much better. A friend gave me a taste of Saz 18 back in 2005 (he was WAY ahead of the rye revival), right before Katrina. When I was displaced in Jackson, MS afterwards I started looking for the Saz 18 and found WLW instead. I remember savoring the hell out of that bottle and wondering if things just tasted better for some psychological reason or if it was just the best whiskey I'd ever tasted. I think it was a little bit of both.

tigerlam92
06-03-2013, 09:51
I always liked bourbon, but what started me collecting and bunkering was ORVW 15/107 ordered from Binny's around 2001.

Same here. I started with the Blanton from Costco, but started collecting and bunkering because of the ORVW 15/107.

boneuphtoner
06-03-2013, 10:24
For me, it wasn't a bottle per se, but the visit to the Woodford Reserve distillery for me that really kicked started my habit. Then a year or so later and I tried FR Single barrel. And life has never been the same!

Old Dusty
06-03-2013, 10:28
Believe I have told this story on here, but the short version is a side by side tasting of PVW 15 and 23 shared by a generous SBer ( is there any other kind) at a Christmas party in 2011. Been hooked since.

gblick
06-03-2013, 10:32
It was a bottle of Lot B that sealed the deal for me. Shortly after that, I tried some ORVW 10/107 and OWA, and decided that I prefer the 107 proof over the 90 proof.

petrel800
06-03-2013, 10:51
4RSB, typically had bourbon in the house before that, but it was usually Woodford Reserve or Makers Mark to put into Coke. I started weening myself off the coke and started drinking the Woodford and Makers on ice, I quickly began to dislike the Woodford, so I tried a 4RSB because someone told me it was good. It was so good I started drinking it neat and then it all went downhill from there.

nivto
06-03-2013, 11:54
Bookers made me realize bourbon was interesting. Four Roses Single Barrel made me realize bourbon was more than just interesting. That's probably the bottle that sent me over the edge.

savagehenry
06-03-2013, 12:36
I was hooked from the first sip of Blanton's that I took.

stiffchainey
06-03-2013, 12:55
Interesting that so much Blantons is mentioned here. Blantons is probably the Number-One-Bourbon-Insider-Tip right now in Germany.

black mamba
06-03-2013, 13:20
I used to be a complete Scotch drinker, but the quality to price ratio of ETL and EC12 changed my mind.
Now that I'm more affluent, I enjoy both Scotch and Bourbon.

Restaurant man
06-03-2013, 13:32
Bottle of PVW 15 around 2007. It was just sitting on the shelf. There is one pour left.

BigRich
06-03-2013, 13:47
Whiskey in general was Bushmills white label back in 1999. Bourbon was Wild Turkey 101 a few months later.

Dolph Lundgren
06-03-2013, 14:14
Glenmorangie 10 opened the door to whisk(e)y, and the bourbon that broke the camel's back was an amazing bottle of ER10.

omgmarclol
06-03-2013, 14:22
my dad drank white label beam, so that's what i gravitated to first.

unclebunk
06-03-2013, 14:48
Drank nothing but Beam and Jack back in my college days but Elijah Craig 18 is what really opened the door for my bourbon obsession and I still love the extra woody stuff.

Phil T
06-03-2013, 15:03
Shortly after my divorce almost 3 yrs ago, I went to Louisville for a friends graduation party. After dinner, my friend Thom, asked if I wanted to join him in having a bourbon (I have always been a craft beer or Belgian beer drinker and never much of a liquor drinker). So I said "sure". You learn to do lots of things that are outside of your comfort zone after a divorce.

Anyhow, it was Woodford Reserve, and I really enjoyed it. I mean I really enjoyed it. The quest for knowledge about bourbon brought me here to SB, google can be a wonderful tool. Looking back I don't know which was more exciting, being single after almost 30 yrs, or discovering bourbon..:woohoo:

ramblinman
06-03-2013, 15:29
Probably ETL when the lightbulb came on and I started getting the sweetness and some of the nuances of the flavors, and in general wanting to expand my exposure to those awesome bits.

Alden
06-03-2013, 15:49
Maker's Mark, followed immediately by Buffalo Trace. I was amazed at how affordable good bourbon is when compared to good scotch.

I now drink both.

dohidied
06-03-2013, 15:54
It happened quickly when I was 25. I bought my first (and last) bottles of Beam and Beam Rye. Then a few weeks later I got an Eagle Rare SB and it really took off. A few weeks later I bought GTS and registered here. My life has never been the same since.

MauiSon
06-03-2013, 16:07
I remember it well, it was a bottle Canadian Club (gate style bottle) that I bought cheap ($5.99) years ago and sent to the Philippines in 2011. I was told it was horrible (I had never tried it, but assumed it was a 'good' 6yo whiskey). Humbled by the experience, I did some research and started buying and trying bourbons [EWB, JBB, Old Crow Reserve] with the intent of sharing the good ones. They were all pretty good, so I tried some more and it just snowballed. I'm not much of a drinker, but my collecting inclination drove me to buy bottles that were disappearing and to buy more of those I had tried and liked. So, here I find myself - with a value-priced collection of which I have only tasted less than half the variety, silly me.

Rationalization - I'm supporting the economy at a critical juncture and spending dollars for goods prior to an inevitable inflationary incursion. ;) [My heir(s) will salute me]

JB64
06-03-2013, 16:08
Mine started with a bottle of KC I picked up to take to a friend's party. I really liked the flavors I was tasting and decided to do a little research on bourbon which ended up leading me to SB.

Enoch
06-03-2013, 16:27
After buying and, tasting, and giving away a handle of JBW about 10 years ago I swore off Bourbon. In 2009, my wife went to Kentucky to work on a series of special elections for about 6 months. On my first visit up, her boss suggested I try Blanton's at the Dragon Pub on the river in Franfort. I was hooked. I drove back with several boxes of Bourbon thinking surely it was cheaper in KY than SC. I was wrong about it being cheaper but been buying ever since.

tanstaafl2
06-03-2013, 16:27
After a pretty long period of casual whiskey drinking I think what got me (re)started was a combination of the cocktail revival which got me interested in cocktails with something other than gin and the seemingly near simultaneous rebirth of Irish whiskey, which had long been my favortie whiskey, and the increasing availability of single pot still Irish whiskey in particular, starting with Redbreast. Oddly, I never dabbled much with Scotch although that has changed some of late as well.

From there it was probably the PHC Cognac finish and the CEHT series that attracted me to add bourbon as a primary interest.

The rest, as they say, is history! Very expensive history...

:cool:

ebo
06-03-2013, 16:34
I came to bourbon from scotch because of the price difference. The first bourbon I bought was WT 101. I've been on the bourbon train ever since..... and I'm very happy to be riding down the tracks.

WAINWRIGHT
06-03-2013, 16:50
My father was always a WT drinker and this wasmy gateway to the world of bourbon and it has only progressed from there.I was introduced to SB through a friend,a trip to Whisky Fest and Binny's and since then there has been no turning back.

393foureyedfox
06-03-2013, 16:51
I got started with bourbon as a stress coping device due to school. I hate beer (rather be punched in the face), dislike wine, and since I like in KY, bourbon seemed the place to start. I started with bottom shelf stuff.....KY tavern, HH cheapies, VOB......they helped with the stress, but cant say I overly 'enjoyed' them. But as one who lives in KY and one who has a history degree from way back, I started trying other bourbons, as there is a vast array of them out there, and theyre all so different. Id have to say it was a shot of Booker's I tried in a bar while my wife and I were taking a few days in Cincy that got my interest, and made me realize what was out there. On the same trip, I ordered a 4R1B barrel proof, and reconfirmed my find. Then, soon after, I got a bottle of KC 120. Love that stuff! I just got some 4R1B, but havent opened it yet.

Im probably 9 months or so in since trying my first bourbon, and am enjoying the history, the tasting, and just learning about all this stuff. Most of what you guys mentioned I havent had yet. I tend to like barrel proofers, and stick to 100+ proofers, but theres still plenty of that to try!

JLH3
06-03-2013, 17:15
I'd been a tequila and Irish Whiskey drinker until till I read an article by Wright Thompson (amazing writer btw) about Pappy Van Winkle. I then had a glass of PVW 23 at a resort. After that came a bottle of Lot B. And it's been all bourbon since then.

SBOmarc
06-03-2013, 17:27
My father drinking OGD and Wild Turkey. I have never wandered.

MyOldKyDram
06-03-2013, 17:32
Honestly not sure. Think it was actually Woodford Reserve. Was given as a gift to us groomsmen and just started branching out from there. Found this place and here I am.

Clavius
06-03-2013, 17:47
Tough question.

I began drinking MM. But it was probably my first bottle of PVW15 several years ago that made me go, "Wow!"

But still to this day my favorite bourbon is the 2011 WLW. That stuff was simply sublime.

amftx
06-03-2013, 17:58
Four Roses small batch was my first "ah-ha!" Pour.

PaulO
06-03-2013, 18:06
The first bottle that really wowed me was some JW Dant B.I.B. back in the 1990s. I think it must have been from the whiskey glut era. This stuff was deep red colored and had all kinds of flavors going on like fresh baked bread, carmel, and fruit. It went down much easier than most of the lower proof whiskies too. Sadly the current Dant is just ok. Anyway this encouraged me to hunt the bottom and mid shelf. Then I eventually discovered OWA.

darylld911
06-03-2013, 18:26
Buffalo Trace was one of the first that opened my eyes (before that, it was Jack Daniels and Crown Royal), and I think the one that pushed me over the edge was a tasting at Chapeze House which included GTS and WLW. I never could imagine how anyone could spend more than $50 on a bottle of alcohol unless they had more money than sense. Then, I tasted GTS and WLW, and when I got home I relentlessly hunted both :lol:

mbroo5880i
06-03-2013, 18:44
Honestly not sure. Think it was actually Woodford Reserve. Was given as a gift to us groomsmen and just started branching out from there. Found this place and here I am.

Similar story. Occasionally, I drank whiskeys like JD. A friend turned me on to Woodford and the rest is history. It's funny. He is a Manhattan maniac and wine drinker. He is still stuck on Woodford. I have moved on. I still like Woodford but the more I experiment the less it is my go-to-pour.

JLH3
06-03-2013, 18:51
I'd been a tequila and Irish Whiskey drinker until till I read an article by Wright Thompson (amazing writer btw) about Pappy Van Winkle. I then had a glass of PVW 23 at a resort. After that came a bottle of Lot B. And it's been all bourbon since then.

WhiskyRI
06-03-2013, 19:21
It started with Beam decanters tasted illicitly from my parents liquor cabinet as a teenager, switched to Maker's in college. Continued along haphazardly for a long time with the Small Batches and kicked into high gear after deciding to buy PVW20 and PVW12 just to see what the fuss was about. Needless to say tasting them was revelatory. Now I've expanded across the entire Whisk(e)y spectrum.

Don_Draper
06-03-2013, 19:34
Started with Old Fashioneds then started sipping the bourbon. Buffalo Trace really got me into bourbon bc of their experimentation. I was able to see that bourbon is just as sophisticated as scotch and wanted something uniquely American.

Old Dusty
06-03-2013, 19:49

Think it was called "On Pappy and Grease" and I read it as well. Then had the encounter I posted a page or so back. Looks like we had a similar path to bourbon appreciation.

mosugoji64
06-03-2013, 20:07
I was an EWB drinker for years. I also drank some EWSB, Bushmills, Jameson, JB Rye, & JBW, but mostly EWB and all on the rocks. I never gave it much thought until a couple of years ago when I was trying to come up with something fun to do on Spring break. A friend of mine was an EW drinker, too, so I thought, "Let's go see where they make this stuff!" We ended up doing the Bourbon Trail in 3 days and had a blast. I brought home several bottles including M46, FRSB, HH gold BIB, and ERSB. The doors were thrown wide open for me. A short time later, I discovered this forum and OWA. My life has never been the same. :grin:

DaveOfAtl
06-03-2013, 20:12
Was given a bottle of Lot B a few years back as a present at a "stock the bar party" before my wedding. I was always a bourbon drinker before that (mostly Makers), but that Lot B opened the can of worms that brought me here. Still one of my favorites.

theglobalguy
06-03-2013, 20:49
MM was what started me drinking bourbon, a bottle of Parker's Heritage last year which launched me off the cliff of obsession. Flavor just floored me.

Had always snickered when i saw higher priced bottlings, quickly came to realize there's a tremendous amount of choices in the $25-75 range all year long and some really knockout product when Fall releases roll around.

JLH3
06-03-2013, 21:00
Was given a bottle of Lot B a few years back as a present at a "stock the bar party" before my wedding. I was always a bourbon drinker before that (mostly Makers), but that Lot B opened the can of worms that brought me here. Still one of my favorites.

It's interesting to read how many of us got our start not just from PVW, but from Lot B in particular.

smknjoe
06-03-2013, 21:26
Jim Beam for regular stuff and Jefferson's Reserve 15yr. for a premium bottle. Right around 99 or so that was the only Jefferson's that was available and I thought it couldn't get any better than that. I usually only bought a "good" bottle a few times a year and last year I decided I wanted something different and started reading these forums. Now, I think it's perfectly normal to have multiple bottles of stuff I like (ETL, OGD, OWA, 4R...) on hand "just incase".

Pikesville
06-03-2013, 22:46
Always liked and drank whiskey, mostly rye and some bourbon. I would call the tipping point when I splurged and bought a $80 bottle of Handy. And liked it so darn much, the "wow that's expensive" barrier had been broken, and I was off to the races. Still enjoy mainly everyday pours, but am more willing to crack open the bank for a 4RLE SmB or Saz 18 now that I have tasted the forbidden fruit.

RocknRoll
06-04-2013, 01:03
I was "hooked" by my first bottle of EC12. Still a favorite.

JKLS
06-04-2013, 14:20
Jefferson's Very Old Very Small Batch. Got a bottle for Christmas from my GM, actually had a friday night off from the restaurant while my Aunt was having a christmas dinner. Brought it along, decided to just drink it neat and it just clicked. Down the rabbit hole ever since.

Crowes
06-04-2013, 14:47
Bookers for me. I bought a bottle for my boss for his birthday and we sat and had a few pours. Man, what a flavor bomb that was at the time. Probably the reason half the bottles I have open right now are barrel strength.

weller_tex
06-04-2013, 15:20
After break of many years of drinking whiskey, I fell in love with Single Malts around 2005-2006. One time while working in New Mexico in and in a place where I could only buy Scotch blends, JBW, JD, and WT 101 I took a try on the 101. I had liked it back in the 80's but that was mixed with Coke. I had a real epiphany that WT 101 (at least what you could buy then) was certainly equally as satisfying as Single Malts for a whole lot less money. I have liked WT 101 less and less over the last two years, but that's what got me started.

HighInTheMtns
06-04-2013, 16:03
I originally had the idea that I just wanted a well-stocked bar, and started buying an assortment of liquor. Before long, all I was drinking from the collection I compiled was bourbon, and I ended up wanting to try a variety of bourbons... And as we all know, THAT decision leads to a slippery, slippery slope. I can't name a particular bottle that was a prime motivator, but it was several mid-shelf pours all around the same time.

AaronWF
06-04-2013, 17:38
Just like Bob Parker, it was a TV show that drew me to bourbon, namely Deadwood. I went out and bought a bottle of Basil Hayden, like they drank on the show. Lots of experimenting followed, and in '06, my whiskey monger introduced me to Pappy 15. That made me a brand fan, but whiskey still wasn't a hobby. I started spending real money with the '10 BTAC and started a blog at the end of that year.

But it was the mid-70's OGD86 and the handle of OFitz BiB '68-'74 I found locked away in my grandfather's basement that drove me into research and this site that really lit my fuse. The OF especially.

tigerlam92
06-04-2013, 17:53
that drove me into research and this site that really lit my fuse. The OF especially.

Yes, for me it's also and always SB.com that lighted and fueling the obsession.

Like I posted before, the more I come on this site the more I drink, the more I hunt, and the more I bunker. :)

Cheers
Hugh

RWBadley
06-04-2013, 17:59
Not counting the Old Crow guzzled down in the '70's?

In the 80's and 90's I would go on homebrew beer judging trips with some friends. After a hard day of judging beer it just seemed right to divert off into Scotch, Tequila, Cognac, Mezcal, Bourbon etc... I guess I got into it bigtime in the mid 90's when you could still buy Port Ellen, Pappy, Hirsch and 20 some year old Ardbeg and Highland Park for 50-75 bucks

tylermke
06-04-2013, 19:32
A bottle of Eagle Rare 10yr back in 2008 set off my curiosity. After that, my pocketbook has always seemed a bit lighter. :)

bllygthrd
06-04-2013, 19:53
A bottle of EC18 ... turned me from a primary scotch drinker to a bourbon drinker.

Tucker
06-04-2013, 20:01
I was a content Weller drinker (SR or 12, whatever was on the shelf) until I happened upon the 2005 William Larue Weller. It would still be a few more years until I started obsessing (bunker, spreadsheet, SB.com), but I can point to that bottle as the beginning.

Bourbon Boiler
06-04-2013, 20:39
First trip on the trail, trying EC18, first sip of Blanton's, and discovery of this website, all within a month. It was a pretty steep curve.

Yeti
06-04-2013, 23:02
My original answer was definitely the beginning of the "obsession", but reading some of these deeper origin stories got me thinking. I drank a good bit of JW Black in my mid 20s, and have a distinct memory of drinking it on a work trip in early 2009. The trip ran over a week long and the client commented on how high-end my taste was. Thats a laugh in retrospect. The last night of the trip the boss and I worked the casino and I won big, around a grand. I asked the bartender what a gentleman at the end of the bar was drinking. It was an indistinct label with a lot of handwriting I had never seen. It was Booker's. I celebrated my winnings well into the morning and had a disposition for the powerful stuff ever since.

MoltenLava
06-04-2013, 23:13
My first Bourbon was American Honey last year after watching the commercial with girls in hot pants. :bigeyes:

DBM
06-05-2013, 02:11
Elijah Craig 18, poured at a friends house when I was a devout scotch drinker, led me to the world of bourbon.

drunk
06-05-2013, 13:45
I can't sit here with a clear conscience and blame an innocent bottle for my tasty obsession. But I can point a few fingers at Jason Pyle! Look it's right there at the top of his blog - manifesto. He intentionally set out to enlighten me on the history of Four Roses (and their delicious, delicious juice) and the American heritage of bourbon. He had the nerve to make my mouth water with his wonderful tasting notes, and point me in the direction of some early favorites that got me hooked - I think it was EWSB 2000 that did it. So Jason, I just want to say, thank you.

sutton
06-05-2013, 14:51
A bottle of Baby Saz I bought to replicate a Sazerac cocktail I saw someone order in a bar. It wasn't long before I left out the other ingredients and found SB.com

fishnbowljoe
06-05-2013, 15:15
My gateway bourbon was Maker's Mark. The first bourbon that made me raise an eyebrow and go, "Hmmmmmm :skep:" was Weller 12.

Jono
06-05-2013, 15:20
Buffalo Trace is probably the first bourbon that really caught my attention palate wise.

humchan2k
06-05-2013, 15:55
A 2oz pour of Ezra B 12 year at Liberty Bar in Seattle sealed my fate. From that day on, I was a bourbon addict.

Bmac
06-05-2013, 22:37
I had started out just wanting a full bar. I was a tequilla guy. I foolishly, and childishly, toiled on the internet to figure out which was the 'best.' There really wasn't a single product as everyone had a million different opinions. SO I went with Woodford Reserve. I liked some of the flavors even though the bourbon itself didn't impress me. From there I sought out different bourbons. After 10 or so, Four Roses Single Barrel was the first to 'WoW' me. It showed me what bourbon could be. Then I had my first Pappy and...55+ bottles of bourbon later...

bingstein
06-06-2013, 11:43
A taste of Old Charter 10 from the late 70s made me realize that bourbon has changed over the years among iterations of the same brand. From there is was on like Donkey Kong.

steeltownbbq
06-06-2013, 21:59
Makers Mark, fall 1979 we were at a family gathering in Jacksonville, AL and someone driving down from Ohio picked up a bottle of MM in KY with a black seal and told me it was the "good stuff" my evenings have never been the same since. many who were there that day are no longer with us -- I'll raise a glass in their memory tonite.

Waiahi
06-07-2013, 00:03
I was a refugee from the rising price of Single Malt around 2009....so I ordered a Makers Mark on the rocks at a bar. That loan drink of bourbon made me google it, and I came here. The rest is history.

RVTsteve
06-07-2013, 22:31
EC 12, the first bottle of bourbon I ever bought for myself and still a personal favorite.

Then life got busy and I pretty much put any leisure activities and purchases on hold, kind of forgot about what I liked.

After life settled down a bit, for the time being, I went to a big picnic where one person brought a bottle of standard Angels Envy, which I didn't really care for and another brought a bottle of Hirsch Small Batch Reserve which I put on ice and proceeded to polish off half the bottle. Something clicked that day about taste and preference and the options available. The timing took me to every store in driving distance trying different brands and distillery expressions. Now, with many thanks to SB and everyone here; with a decent taste for what I prefer and a healthy stash of bottles to go through I'm pretty happy with where I'm at, but always with room to learn and grow. Oh, and this was all over the past 3 years :-/

Meruck
06-07-2013, 23:20
PHC 1st. aka one shoe whiskey.

whiskeypig
06-08-2013, 10:42
Was way too much into JD SB then went to a buddies house who was gifted a Pappy20 which I enjoyed, we travelled on to Walthen's by the end of the night...then was gifted ORVW10-107. Now I'm an OGD 114 whore mostly due to SB, plus a side of weller 12 and OWA107. The wife loves BMH so she's on board with the bourbon obsession.

squire
06-08-2013, 11:39
Having the wife along often makes for a pleasant journey, welcome aboard.

cazolman
06-08-2013, 20:13
Bulleit Bourbon, while on a business trip to Washington, Missouri.

I have never been much of a drinker. Drank Jack & Coke about once a week. Decided to check out bourbon after seeing the distillery/bourbon trail signs along I65. Stopped by the liquor store and got sample bottles of Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve. Then I saw that big bottle of Southern Comfort for about 7 bucks. I thought the Maker's and Woodford were ok, but that Southern Comfort was something else! I poured it right down the drain after the first taste. I decided right then that you bourbon fans were a bunch of idiots. I went back to my Jack & Coke for the next 3 years. It was on a work trip when a co-worker suggested the Bulleit. It had a neat old style bottle and tasted pretty good in my Coke. I polished that bottle off over the next three nights and have really enjoyed bourbon ever since. Thanks to this forum and Chuck's book, I found out just what that Southern Comfort stuff is.

draiiinage
06-13-2013, 09:52
For me it was a Willett's Family Reserve 18 at a friend's house in DC. The "No Chemists Allowed" version. My first purchase after that was Whistle Pig and Eagle Rare, been hooked ever since.

suntour
06-13-2013, 10:46
Having the wife along often makes for a pleasant journey, welcome aboard.

This is true. Inversely, having the wife not along makes for an unpleasant journey. I'm having to watch it...she loves bourbon and scotch but adores beer, but with our child on-board, she's still got a few more months until she can partake again. I've got a few more months to enjoy big drams at night and full nights of sleep.

But man it wasn't easy to explain or justify the RR SmBSB and OWA I brought home the last two days...

matthewdc
06-20-2013, 11:50
I admit it, it was PVW15. I unfortunately (and ignorantly) had some misconceptions about bourbon in general, but a pour of this at a restaurant in Raleigh completely erased any discrimination I once had--I was just amazed/surprised by the depth and complexity of it. That coupled with my growing interest in whiskey-based cocktails, like Manhattans and Old Fashioneds, amplified my obsession.

zillah
06-20-2013, 13:11
I was a Jack Daniel's drinker for nearly six years before I had anything else. That was my only exposure to American whiskey. When it came to sipping whiskey, I drank scotch but couldn't find something I really loved. I was a bit curious about bourbon whenever I would walk down the isle, mostly because it was cheaper. Someone told me that Wild Turkey 101 was the real bourbon drinker's bourbon. Reluctantly, I bought it instead of Jack Daniel's. Never looked back.