PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Opinion on Sam Houston

gr8erdane
12-10-2003, 01:33
I have perused the reviews but have not seen one on Sam Houston. Could some of you nice people give me your input on whether it might be a good or bad choice to add to my collection? Jefferson's Reserve was one of my first tastings and holds a special place with me but I have yet to taste or see a review on it's sibling. Thanks for your help.
Dane

camduncan
05-24-2004, 22:12
I found a bottle of this at one of the interstate stores I frequent. Likewise, I'd be interested in opinions from anyone who may have tried it http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tlsmothers
05-29-2004, 14:09
Of the three siblings, Jefferson's 8, 15, and Sam Houston, SH is not as rich as the 15, but at 10 years, it does have some mellowness wound up in a spicy rye backbone. I find a smokey, char in the nose that follows through on the palate as burnt caramel. The Jefferson 8 comes across as lighter than the SH. I think the barrels for Jefferson are lighter in char than the Sam Houston, but I don't know this for a fact. I think the SH is definitely worth adding to your stash.

I'm leading a tasting on all three of these next weekend so I'll have to post what I hear from folks later.