PDA

View Full Version : OGD BIB compared to Straight Rye

jbalchunas
08-25-2004, 07:39
Hey everyone,

I've been anxious for a while to try a rye such as WT's rye, which is one of the few available here in NC.

However, I worked my way through a pint of OGD BIB and am now wondering if I should rethink this. I'm not sure why I didn't care for the OGD, maybe it seemed harsher than other bourbons I have tried. I understand that it has a very heavy rye content, so is it likely I will draw the same conclusion about a straight rye?

Gillman
08-25-2004, 08:01
Good question but in fact the "rye" component of OGD is IMO quite different to how it tastes in straight ryes and indeed other rye-recipe bourbons. There are so many variables that each drink ends up being unique. Wild Turkey rye is a robust drink that has honeyed edges too. The rye taste comes out like a spearmint-like taste, which I don't get from OGD (there it seems more husky/grainy to me). It is good on its own, very good in Manhattans, and super also with ginger ale.

Gary

TNbourbon
08-25-2004, 15:02
Don't let it put you off. I find I generally like straight ryes (some more than others, of course -- VWFFR and WT being faves), but don't like high-rye bourbons (think the current Bulleitt) all that much.
You don't have to 'splain, just drink 'em.