PDA

View Full Version : Numbers, Please! (Akin to 'Show Us Your Stash')

TNbourbon
06-10-2005, 12:32
I passed the century mark last week, stashing away my 100th different bourbon in my bunker. Including non-bourbon American whiskey, Canadian, and Scotch, I now have more than 125 different choices nightly. About 25 of them are open right now, and I finish 2-3 bottles a month (which is why they've accumulated so -- my inflow is outpacing my intake!).
Now, I know some of you have have even far more extensive lineups than that. So, give me a goal -- how many you got?

One storage 'bin':

gr8erdane
06-10-2005, 13:39
Well, for my part I have 125 different bourbons (most open), 22 second bottles bunkered, four Scotch, three Canadians, two Irish, and a partridge in a pear tree. Some of my differences though are the same label but from different years (ie Stagg, EWSB) and eras (current vs 70's vintage decanters). I consider a bottle of Old Commonwealth I bought from Binny's last year as different from my 1977 decanter for some odd reason.

TNbourbon
06-10-2005, 13:51
See, I knew there'd be some big numbers.
As for different labels, I counted 'em that way, too, Dane. The Stagg '03 and '04, for example, ARE different, and my 80-proof Old Commonwealth decanter is NOT the same as the later 90-proof "Small Batch" bottling.
It strikes me that it would also be interesting how many different bottlings we all have cumulatively, but that's probably not possible to ascertain. I'd bet we could put together a pretty good whiskey-history museum, though.

gr8erdane
06-10-2005, 13:57
Tim, you tend to have more of the museum pieces that are actually bourbon history. I have mostly current bottlings. But then I guess that means I have the Y2K era of bourbon history well represented for posterity.

Hedmans Brorsa
06-10-2005, 14:59
Bah, a paltry 119 bottles! And there I was, with pulse racing, counting frantically, hoping to grab an early lead. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, out of these there are 38 bourbons, 6 ryes, 3 Tennessees and a lone corn whiskey.

Unfortunately, I have no possibility of displaying them all in one picture.

dgonano
06-10-2005, 17:05
I am afraid to count the number of bottles in my collection. The wife might see me and start ranting about the impending fire. Anyway, I will post the tally.

Tallica
06-10-2005, 17:15
91 & going up with 17 opened & another 28 bunkered for a rainy day.

robbyvirus
06-11-2005, 00:23
A photo like that is guaranteed to bring a smile to one's face! And Tim, it looks like you have a different glass for each bottle of bourbon!

AVB
06-11-2005, 06:26
153 of which 140 are opened

37 different bourbons
114 Scotches
1 Canadian
1 Japanese

Rughi
06-11-2005, 16:04
My wife being the structural engineer that she is, she suggested I count bottles up in Excel. Oh...so much easier! (???)

The total was:
52 Bottlings:

46 Bourbon
5 Rye
1 Blended

86 Bottles Total:

38 Open Bottles
48 Unopened

I didn't count the few odd Scotch and that one verflixter Canadian "whiskey" (which shall remain nameless)

That number is far from impressive in these lofty surroundings, but what Excel made easy to do was count things in other, interesting ways, such as:

Of the 86 bottles:
17 are current production (4 of which were bought as a joke)
16 are limited production
53 are out of production (12 of these recently out of production)

My definition of "limited" was a bit arbitrary, as I counted Elmer T Lee and Old Charter Proprieter's Reserve as limited, but not Bulleit or Ezra Brooks 12.

I guess what the number crunching says about my personal profile is that I just won't buy standard product in any significant amount.

I notice that I only keep enough standard product in the house for today's drinking, but will stock up on anything I like that has some mechanism that creates scarcity (even leaving out the dusty ol'bottles part), such as depletable stocks (VW and Wathen's), "vintages" (Birthday Bourbon and Stagg), and limited availability (McKenna Bond, at least around the Bay Area).

It also means that if future bourbon enthusiasts tend to have buying habits like mine that a business model such as BT would thrive, where Makers Mark would wither.

Roger - give me Variety, or I'll buy Scotch - Hodges

P.S. - Not Really

musher
06-11-2005, 19:07
My wife being the structural engineer that she is, she suggested I count bottles up in Excel. Oh...so much easier! (???)

Not me. Mine is in an Access database! I mostly did that because I already use an Access database to track my green coffee inventory (as well as roast dates, etc.).

According to the database, I have 32 different whiskies, 31 of which are open. Four are rye whiskies, the rest are bourbons. Of course, I cheat a little and count each Evan Williams vintage separately ('92, '94 and '95 currently). Subtract two from my total if you must.

My overall total number of bottles is 54. The most I have of anything is three bottles (one of which is in the open bottle count).

I thought I was getting carried away until I started seeing some of the numbers that some of you have reported here! I still say I have one of the best bourbon selections in Minnesota. Certainly better then every restaurant I visit.

Most of them have one, maybe two bourbons that I could consider. One actually has three or four good choices. Some I visit, though, my choices are JB white label or JD. If those are my choices, I switch over to the beer list. If that sucks, I just get iced tea.

I hate it when I ask the waitress/waiter/bartender what they have for bourbons, and they tell me to name it, and they probably have it. I usually say "Don't go there, because you probably don't. I have over 25 different bourbons at home." That usually gets them to just tell what they've got (usually just the aforementioned JBw and JD!). Most often I just order Wild Turkey, and most of the time (not all of the time), they at least have that.

dgonano
06-11-2005, 19:54
This is more than I expected. And many of the Bourbons have replacements in the bunker.

So far...112 Bourbon

22 Rye

6 Tennessee

5 Canadian

2 Irish

87 Scotch

clayton
06-11-2005, 21:36
22 bourbons
3 ryes
1 Canadian
1 Japanese
1 Tennessee
1 corn whiskey
3 Irish
13 Scotches

Almost all opened. The only thing I have bunkered is a few bottles of Stagg.

gr8erdane
06-12-2005, 01:05
I use an Excel spreadsheet as well, having copied and pasted the database from this site into one. Was a good start. Then I color in the lines for bottlings I own and added two columns in front, one for bunkered bottles and the other for those on display. I keep a running sum at the bottom of the sheet so I can have something to shake my head at after checking my bank account.....

I have had to add lines on occasion for the specialty bottlings such as Van Blankle as well as some dogs and cats.

BourbonJoe
06-12-2005, 15:41
I just put my 50th different bourbon in the bunker. That makes me even with the Bourbon House in New Orleans. Maybe I can stop collecting now........Right!!!
Joe http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/usflag.gif

doubleblank
06-13-2005, 11:43
I have 50 different bourbons, 6 ryes and 2 Tenn's in the collection.....about 10 open at a time. If its not a regular pour for me, I don't keep readily available bourbons in "inventory".....I let my liquor store do that for me....ie WT 101, MM, Old Grandad, Old Forrester, EW, JB Black, Beam's Small Batch collection, etc, etc. Lot's of backup bottles for the hard to replace items too.

Randy

camduncan
06-14-2005, 15:07
There are currently 22 bourbons (21 unique bottles), 4 Ryes, 2 Tenn's and 1 bourbon liquor in the collection.
Of these, only 3 bottles are unopened and 10 are not available locally.
There are still approx 10 local bourbons to be added to the collection over the next few months, as well as at least 3 or 4 more from an upcomming overseas trip.

Chaz7
06-15-2005, 14:37
Whoa! As a relatively new (less than 2 years) bourbon afficianado, I've got a long ways to go. I think I need to visit St. Charles

gr8erdane
06-15-2005, 22:13
Always happy to have visitors. Let me know when you're in the area! http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/toast.gif

AVB
06-16-2005, 05:55
An update since my first post.

156 of which 141 are opened

39 different bourbons/ryes
114 Scotches
2 Irish
1 Canadian
0 Japanese (I finished it yesterday http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

RedVette
06-16-2005, 14:39
45 unique, 40 opened.

luv2hunt
06-16-2005, 15:26
72 different bourbons, plus
1 Rye

42 are open
143 total bottles

I shouldn't have counted.....no more bourbon hunting for me!
Dawn http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sharkman
06-18-2005, 21:15
Dave,

Could you send me your list of 22 ryes? I want to know more about what is out there.

Thanks,

sharkman
06-18-2005, 21:18
OK, here it is:

80 different bourbons (all opened!!!!)

and a BUNCH of other stuff equaling 242 bottles!!!

All opened and indulged in!!!

Except for some collectable JD bottles that I didn't count in the above figures...

dgonano
06-19-2005, 10:05
Could you send me your list of 22 ryes? I want to know more about what is out there

Distillery releases (8):

Jim Beam

Old Overholt

Wild Turkey

Rittenhouse 100

Pikesville

Sazerac 18yr

Old Potrero Single Malt Whiskey 2yr

Old Potrero Single Malt Straight Rye 3yr

Julian & Preston Van Winkle bottlings (5):

Van Winkle Family Reserve 13yr

Old Rip Van Winkle Old Tyme 12yr

Black Maple Hill 15yr Lawrenceburg

Hirsch Selection 13yr

Michters 10 yr Lawrenceburg

Even & Drew Kulsveen bottlings(5):

Michters 10yr Bardstown

Michters US1 Rye 3+yr

Black Maple Hill 18yr Bardstown

Classic Cask 15yr

Classic Cask 22yr

Old bottlings (4):

Pikesville Maryland Rye distilled in 1970's

Sherwood Maryland Rye distilled in 1950's

Mount Vernon Maryland Rye distilled in 1921

Old Overholt Pennsylvania Rye distilled in 1930's

halpap
06-19-2005, 10:55
28 bourbons (only 12 open right now http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)
4 ryes (1 open)
29 single malt scotches (6 open, I guess I have gotten more into bourbon of late) http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
1 rum (open and excellent)
4 brandies (open)

I guess I don't like to have too many bottles open at once and there are some bottles that seem to be worth more closed than open (like Hirsch 20 and W.L. Weller 19), but over time as bottles get finished I keep trying the new stuff.

sharkman
06-21-2005, 21:11
Cool! Are the Older bottlings opened??? The Old Overholt 1930 would be a treat I would guess...

Thanks for the reply!

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/thankyousign.gif

dgonano
06-22-2005, 19:20
Are the Older bottlings opened??? The Old Overholt 1930 would be a treat I would guess...

Only the Pikesville . I brought 2 bottles to the Sampler.

The Old Overholt is an uncut single barrel, 113proof, 6 1/2 yr old,

distilled and bottled at Broad Ford, Pa. It was bottled in

1940, so the distillation occured just after the end of

Prohibition. The contents remain sealed.

barturtle
09-11-2005, 19:48
Wow, these are some huge numbers.

I finally got my Excel file done (since my memory faded and I started bringing home duplicates..."Oh, darn! Guess I'll open that one!")

I rolled in at 70 different whiskies including

12 rye
4 irish
3 tennessee
1 scotch
1 corn
1 canadian

I'm looking forward to adding to the rye count here soon as the new Saz should be out shortly (both the Antique and the younger version).

bourbonchef1189
09-12-2005, 16:58
Damn guys, Makes my six bottles of half open bourbons look sick. I envy all of you. May I ask a dumb rookie question?
Where do you find old unopen bourbon? I know there isn't any around these parts. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

ratcheer
09-12-2005, 19:04
How far are you from Atlanta? There used to be lots of little mom-and-pop (or so they seemed) liquor stores all over the area. Those are the places where I would think you could make such finds.

Tim

BobA
09-12-2005, 21:29
Particularly, you might check out some south suburb neighborhoods whose character has changed a bit in the last several years. I had a little luck finding some old SW products in stores up by Buford Highway, tucked behind the expanded tequila section. Usually, the store just changes its ordering when the tastes of its customers change, and some old inventory can linger.

Bob

bourbonchef1189
09-13-2005, 16:58
ratcheer and BobA thank you I would have never thought of that.

lakegz
09-15-2005, 05:51
I just got into bourbon last year and in that year (a very poor year), i managed to amass a measly 11 bottles hehe.
I took one bottle of Stagg with me to Japan and since i moved here 3 months ago, ive bought 6 other bottles

Spring 05 Stagg
Wild Turkey 8
Wild Turkey 12
Bookers
OGD 114
Blantons
Elijah Craig 18

patience, patience, my numbers will grow. (but reading all of your numbers makes me want to give up. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

barturtle
09-15-2005, 07:13
It might be a small selection, but it is a selection that I could live quite happily with for a long, long time.

Vange
09-15-2005, 12:53
I am new to bourbon so all I have thus far is:

1 bottle of Pappy 20
14 bottles Hirsch Reserve 16 (saving these for a rainy day!)
6 scotches
2 blended
2 irish

what i plan to do with the above bottles is what i have done with my tequila collection (i am talking about GOOD tequila, not JC Gold and the crap normally found in bars). since some tequilas actually have an aroma and taste like bourbon, it was what got me into bourbons in the first place. check out the link below for my tequila collection and how i plan on keeping track of all my bourbons/scotches.

https://67.85.199.137/em/tequila.nsf/pgOwn

Isoflex
09-16-2005, 21:52
Don't know what is wrong with the link you have in your message but it raised all kinds of alarms with my firewall!! But I do have a very tight computer.

I have about 26 bourbons and have only been "collecting" for about a year and a half. Nothing special but sure like most of them very much. My favorites are probably Elijah Craig 18yo, RR 101 (wish I didn't like it though), OGD 114, and Fighting Cock - which probably makes some of you cringe. Worst Whiskey - Jameson Irish. That has got to be the worst stuff in the world.

barturtle
12-19-2005, 21:15
Finally finished updating my Excel file so it's time to update my count:

90 individual labels including

16 rye (seems high but I count releases of Saz individually)
1 wheat
1 corn
1 Canadian
4 Irish
1 Scotch
3 Tennessee

Also added in a calculator for average proof(not counting multiples)-94.5 and average age(not counting multiples and using approximate ages for NAS) -11.2

AVB
12-20-2005, 15:55
134 Scotch
50 bourbon/rye
2 Tennessee
1 Canadian
1 Japanese
2 "other"
2 Irish

Nebraska
05-17-2006, 16:15
Hey I just hit the century mark!

I hit 100 bottles even yesterday, and with today's purchases I'm safely over a hundred with the up coming couple of dead soldiers looming on the shelf.

I have a paltry 34 varieties with newest being fighting cock, WT 12yo, Wathen's SB 98 and the remaining Cabin Still 1990's I picked up.

Mark/Nebraska

ProofPositive
05-18-2006, 01:06
14 bottles Hirsch Reserve 16 (saving these for a rainy day!)

It is supposed to rain here late tomorrow afternoon or early evening. I could help with airfare!

Vange
05-18-2006, 07:08
My new breakdown, individual bottles that I currently own. my hirsch case counts as 1 type of bourbon i own. when i first posted this i didnt have much bourbon varieety, but i ramped up since then.

Absinthe 3
Amaretto 1
Blended Scotch 4
Bourbon 17
Metaxa 2
Cognac 4
Gin 3
Grappa 1
Irish Cream 1
Irish Whiskey 4
Liqueur 22 (sour apple, chambord, etc)
Ouzo 2
Port 2
Rum 17
Sambuca 1
Single Malt Scotch 14
Tennessee Whiskey 2
Tequila 40
Vermouth 2
Vodka 13

for complete breakdown and to "see" the bottles, i keep them in an online inventory.
www.liquorhunter.com

TomH
05-18-2006, 18:54
My current inventory consists of 129 total bottles of whisky/whiskey which includes:

20 different bourbons
4 different rye
2 different Irish
2 different Japanese
57 different Scotch (includes blends, vatted, single malt, and single grain)

Tom

ProofPositive
05-20-2006, 00:01
At last count, I had around 50-60 bottles on hand in total. My collection is still a baby compared to most of you guys. I can say though that my entire number is all bourbon to the best of my knowledge & memory.

The queer (uh-oh, can we still use that word in today's politically correct world?) thing is that of all those bottles, I probably have less than 10 which are open. So, in terms of numbers, I have only 20% at most of my bottles in the open position. It sounds like most others here have 50-75% of their total stash already opened.

barturtle
05-20-2006, 06:37
Hmmm, I guess I'll update

103 labels
133 total bottles

18 ryes
1 wheat
1 corn
4 Tennessee
3 Scotch
4 Irish
1 Canadian

Only 12 are open at present, but it tends to be a quickly rotating selection, as I never open the same thing I just finished. Plus when I'm in Louisville, there is enough of a variety in bars that I can drink a much larger selection than I have open.

OscarV
05-20-2006, 19:24
124 bourbon
8 Rye
2 Tennessee
2 Irish
2 Scotch
1 Wheat

7 are opened and 43 are empty
Some I want to drink, but I can't bear to see them go,...

Whiskey River
05-22-2006, 14:54
Just getting started.

8 bourbons
2 ryes

Bookers
EWSB 96
MM
WTRB
KC
OGD 114
WT 101
GTS fall 05

WT rye
Old Overholt

TimmyBoston
06-29-2006, 02:45
I've spent the last few minutes reading through this posting and boy am I impressed. I knew everyone here is serious about their bourbon, but jeez. I am so jealous. I may take it upon myself to stop by all of your houses to sample the wares.
I've only been collected for about three months and I have:
26 Bottles Total

8 Single Malt Scotch
1 Calvados
1 Tequila
15 Bourbon
1 rye - Sazerac Spring 1984

Open Bourbon:
VW Lot B
Pappy 15
Pappy 20
Hirsch 16
Stagg Fall 05
Black Maple Hill 11
Black Maple Hill 16
Eagle Rare 10 SB
Rare Breed
WT Tribute
Bulleit
OGD 114

Bunker:
ORVW 15
2 WT Tribute

And I'm always looking to add to my collection, if anyone ever wants to sell or trade.
See my collection's small enough I can list the whole thing :slappin:
Any ideas on what I should get next?

jeff
06-29-2006, 04:37
You've got the high-end covered quite nicely, so I would suggest exploring the mid-shelf range. If you can find Weller 12yo, AAA 10yo, VOB 100, Old Forester 100 or Old Fitz BIB, I would try those.

doubleblank
06-29-2006, 11:02
I looked at my last post here and it was over a year ago....so I updated the excel spreadsheet and here are my current numbers. I added 21 new bourbons to my bunker in a year.

71 Bourbons
6 Ryes
3 Tenns
3 Irish
3 Scotch
3 Canadians
2 Japanese
1 Indian

235 total bottles in all (Stagg duplicates, cases of SB purchases we've done, etc)

If I don't regularly drink it and it's available ay my local store, then it's not in my bunker (ie Makers, Old Forrester, Beam Small Batch Collection etc.....I let my local retailer be my bunker for those). I've also picked up a few Michters and other decanters and don't have those in the total. Approximately 25 bottles open right now

Randy

wadewood
06-29-2006, 11:48
1 Indian
Randy
Indian? What is this? plus I thought it was always two little indians...

doubleblank
06-29-2006, 11:56
It's Amrut Single Malt Whiskey from India. Given to me by a friend who travels there frequently. Not bad....fairly light....but there won't be two little indians in my liquor cabinet.

Randy

bluesbassdad
06-29-2006, 12:01
I've been serious about bourbon for about five hears and have tried and/or accumulated just about everything I could find. Even so you have bottlings that I've never had, the BMH's and the WT Tribute.

Taking a longer view, so far you've averaged five bourbons a month. Keep up that rate for a year or two, and you'll be a contender for the championship (not that we really compete around here). :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

FlashPuppy
06-29-2006, 16:13
i would really like to see DOUGDOG chime in on this topic...

TimmyBoston
06-29-2006, 23:27
I really like this thread, it's great for newbies like me to see what you professionals stock your bars with.
We discuss what we are drinking very often, but I'm very curious to know what you aren't drinking. What do you keep unopened in your bunker?

BourbonJoe
06-30-2006, 06:55
I recently checked my Access Database and came up with the following:

151 Individual Bourbons (Bourbon bunker is over 300 bottles)
10 Ryes
2 Michters
4 Canadian Whiskey
2 Tennessee Whiskies
Did not count them but many bottles of Gin, Vodka, Tequila, Mezcal, etc., etc.
About 1/3 of the bottles are open.
I have now actually run out of room to store any more, so my acquisitions will now be few and far between. Special stuff only.

Joe :usflag: