View Full Version : "Nosing" glasses

09-15-1999, 10:54
While touring several of the distilleries earlier this year, I noticed that the Quality Control departments all used what are referred to as "nosing" glasses. In construction, not unlike a wine glass, but more extruded like a champagne flute to concentrate vapors at the top. If memory serves correctly, these glasses had a fill line on them as well.
I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to find same. I don't have a problem with purchasing an entire case if need be. Does anyone know of a source for these?


Jim Butler
Straightbourbon.com Staff

09-15-1999, 19:22
I don't have a source, but I believe these glasses are also known as copita glasses, which may help in tracking them down. Try restaurant supply houses and ask to see their glassware catalog from someplace like Libbey's.

Lew Bryson
Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

12-03-1999, 20:05
I don't know this for fact, but I recall seeing those on a Reidel crystal chart, in the Sommelier series. Could be wrong, though...

Life's too short for bad music!!

12-05-1999, 19:44
I believe I have seen them advertised in The Malt Advocate.

- chuck

Theron Volkman
12-06-1999, 15:03
I stopped into my favorite liquor store earlier today to pick up a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle's bourbon they had ordered for me
and while I was waiting for the clerk to fetch my bottle I noticed a gift package of some kind of liquer(sp?). It had two nice
looking nosing glasses and the bottle of liquer for $18.00. I decided to purchase it, I will put the glasses on my shelf, throw
the box away and wrap the bottle for my sister-in-law for Christmas. You might look for something similar. I have also seen
single malt scotch packaged this way before, especially during the holidays.


02-11-2000, 10:37
Sellers of "scientific" wine and spirits glasses are all working on Barnham's first law of economics. Forget it.

Some inexpensive champaign glasses with fairly vertical sides are all you need. Inexpensive and easy to find.

Learned to appreciate Bourbon when I was a student in Chicago in the 1960's

02-11-2000, 10:45
It's already long forgotten. I found some glasses that fit the bill to a "T" in the clearance section at a Mikasa factory outlet store. About a buck apiece, and they work flawlessly.
I was mostly curious as to where these people were finding this graduated glassware.


Jim Butler

10-15-2000, 10:50
If you don't mind a little advertising,
you can get some fine glasses which bear
the name of The Glenlivet on them for about
50 cents apiece. Work fine for Scotch, and
I assume they'd do just as well for Bourbon
and Tennessee whiskies


Richard Block

10-16-2000, 09:55
It isn't advertising if you don't tell us where and how.

--Chuck Cowdery (http://cowdery.home.netcom.com)

10-16-2000, 16:43

> I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to find same. I don't have a problem
> with purchasing an entire case if need be. Does anyone know of a source for
> these?

Well, unless you're making beaucoup bucks off this site, I don't think a case of these is realistic; hell, even the minimum order of two will set you back more than pocket change. But you can get similar nosing glasses at http://www.maisonduwhisky.fr/mwf/index1.htm. Not the stemmed champagne type you're thinking of, but I have both varieties and these are far and away the better of the two. Blow the extra ten bucks and get the 30cl large version instead of the small; the difference is bigger than you might think, with much more all-important surface area in the large glasses.

If you need a glass with fill lines for proof dilutions, check eBay. A lot of really nice ones show up, some are even quite old distillery souvenirs. I have Old Fitz and Old Charter varieties, and both were relatively cheap (~$3.00, shipping not included).