PDA

View Full Version : Elijah Craig 12 Year - Wow!

mythrenegade
03-24-2006, 00:04
On the recommendation of the group here I picked up some Elijah Craig 12 Year Old. First off, I was stunned at how cheap this was. I paid $15.99 for a 750ml. I was thrilled to find it for that, and at that price I will buy it again. I also picked up a bottle of Pappy Van Winkel, at the other end of the spectrum. That's for another time.

In short, I really like this Elijah Craig. It has a very rich flavor, with a nice sweet finish. I tried it neat first, and then on the rocks, my preferred style. On the rocks this drink really opens up and offers a wonderfuly collection of flavors and smells.

Thanks to all of you who recommended this bourbon!

I almost bought the 18 year ($30.99) but decided to stick with what was recommended. How is the 18 year?

Joel

PS - Yeah, the Pappy is fantastic, but I can't afford to drink that all that often (nor will I remain married if I were to try...), so it's going to stay in the cabinet for special occasions. The rest of the time I will bounce between the Elijah Craig, Maker's Mark and Elmer T. Lee.

T47
03-24-2006, 07:17
I think your in for shock with the EC 18. For me it was nothing like the 12 at all, the extra 6 years makes it a different Bourbon. Check out the post here (http://WWW.Straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads-6.5/showthread.php?t=5102) in Tasting about EC 18.
:toast:

Edward_call_me_Ed
03-24-2006, 09:14
As others have noted, I don't really think of these two bourbons as being, well, siblings. They are entirely different animals. Both are excellent, IMHO.
Ed

Tank415
03-24-2006, 17:18
I tied EC12YO for the first time yesterday, and like you was impressed. I think it tastes it's best over ice. Very smooth..... I like it alot!

Ambernecter
03-24-2006, 19:21
Wow was the 1st word across my lips on the two seperate occasions I tried this forum fave.

I seriously don't think there will be a 3rd time. YUK!!

elkdoggydog
03-24-2006, 19:52
I like it on the rocks. I try to keep a bourbon around to have on ice, since my mood often calls for it. Good bourbon, great price.

Sijan
03-24-2006, 20:49
The 12yo is not my favorite, but a lot of people seem to like it. The 18yo is like an entirely different bourbon - much woodier, more astringent. I'm not real fond of either, actually.

elkdoggydog
05-26-2006, 12:05
Bump. This bourbon came up in a couple of threads recently, and I picked up a bottle yesterday. Had a little, neat, uncut last night, and I think this may now be my favorite "budget bourbon." I love the sweet finish with the more matured flavor, and enough bite to remind you that it's bourbon. The classic Heaven Hill flavor profile remains a favorite for me.

Clearly this is not a bourbon for everyone, but I think it's one everyone should try. If you like it, it's a steal.

jburlowski
05-26-2006, 12:43
I agree, when its good its very good and a terrrific value.

My issue is the variability from bottle to bottle... the taste profile seems to vary considerably.

elkdoggydog
05-26-2006, 12:51
This may require further research...

Nebraska
05-26-2006, 13:01
In my bourbon cabinet there is one bottle that does not have a back up bottle behind it, and most likely will remain that way. Oddly enough while the other bottles I tend to have an evaporation problem with (the level always seems to go down), I have no such problem with my one, lone, non-evaporating Elijah Craig 12yo.

While I try to keep an open mind about selections, this is stretching my boundaries a little bit further than I want to be stretched. I will try it again periodically, very periodically. For years I didn't like the hot mustard you get at Chinese restaurants. But every year, once a year, I'd try it just to make sure. Low and behold one year I decided all of a sudden I liked it.

I have more hope for Chinese mustard though than I do Elijah Craig 12yo.