PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bourbons

TimmyBoston
06-22-2006, 15:54
I was wondering what people favorite bourbons are?

Not the Holy Grails, or what they think is the best bourbon but what do they actually enjoy drinking the most. At least for me this is a big difference. I love watching "Dumb and Dumber", but I wouldn't call it one of the greatest films of all time.

I'd say my favorites are in no particular order:

Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B
Wild Turkey Tribute
A.H. Hirsch !6 - Gold Foil (Only one I've had)
George T. Stagg Fall 05 (Again only Stagg I've had)
Sazerac Rye 18 (Not bourbon, but still great)

jeff
06-22-2006, 16:44
Some of my casual favorites include:

Weller 12yo
Buffalo Trace
Ancient Ancient Age
Elmer T Lee
Old Forester

On the higher end I really enjoy:

Pappy 20 & 23
Eagle Rare 17yo
Rock Hill Farms
Elijah Craig 18yo
Black Maple Hill 16yo

Nebraska
06-22-2006, 18:07
I'm thinking this is the kind of thing that changes with time too.

At the beginning,

Virginia Gentleman 90 (the fox)
ORVW 10/107

Earlier this year,

Old Weller Antique 107
EWSB 1995
Pappy 20

Currently,

Rittenhouse BiB 101
Bulliet
WT Rye

Some of what my favorites to reach for is based on availability as well, if I know I have to stretch my Pappy 20 out because of price and availability, then it becomes not one of the first line grabs because I know I have to savor every drop.

scopenut
06-22-2006, 19:07
Top favorites are the usual suspects:

Hirsch 16 gold foil (only one I have)
Pappy's 20
Pappy's 15
VW Lot B
WTRR 101
WTKS
(Looks like I'm a Van Winkle kind of guy)

Everyday pours:

Eagle Rare 10 SB
Old Charter Classic 90

Kevin

mythrenegade
06-22-2006, 19:43
My favorite everyday pour is Eagle Rare 10 year old.

I also frequently pour Elmer T. Lee and Maker's Mark, and keep those restocked when they run out.

Joel

TimmyBoston
06-22-2006, 23:24
A couple more I'd like to add:

WT Rare Breed
Black Maple Hill 11/16 Depending on my mood

One thing I'm curious about if anyone would also like to add, their least favorite bourbons.

scopenut
06-23-2006, 07:24
Oddly, my current least favorite is Black Maple Hill 11 yr. Don't know why, there's a taste of damp leather/chemical. Maybe I got a bad bottle. I think it will be a while before I revisit it.

Kevin

smokinjoe
06-23-2006, 08:05
Evan Williams Single Barrel 1994
Elmer T. Lee
AAA 10yr
Ezra Brooks 7yr 101
Old Heaven Hill 10yr BIB
Weller 12yr
George T. Stagg (any year)
Maker's Mark (Simply for it's mind numbing consistency)

JOE

Whiskey Willie
06-23-2006, 11:53
Hey gang. Here are my 3 faves...

1. Wild Turkey 101
2. Buffalo Trace
3. Knob Creek

Ambernecter
06-23-2006, 12:26
Fave Bourbons due to regularity of consumption/value for money must be:

WT 101
Maker's
BT 90 (These 3 are all around the £18 - 20 mark and wonderful everyday pours.)

A step up in price by around £10 involves:

Lot B
VWFRR 13YO
ETL
VW 10YO 107

Around £40 is RHF, which I love above all else but don't drink that often, due to wanting it to remain a special treat and respecting the value of money.

TimmyBoston
06-23-2006, 14:17
Oddly, my current least favorite is Black Maple Hill 11 yr. Don't know why, there's a taste of damp leather/chemical. Maybe I got a bad bottle. I think it will be a while before I revisit it.

Kevin

I have a couple of bottles of Black Maple Hill, 11 and 16 and I notice that my palate has to be in the right stage to drink these, sometimes I taste them and they are bitterly astringent and sometimes they are slices of heaven, all from the same bottle. It all depends.

photogjunkie
06-23-2006, 14:38
As stated earlier, favorites tend to change with the seasons and the list seems to becomes longer as time goes by. This summer, the two bottles I reach for most often are Old Charter 12yo and Eagle Rare 101.

tgriff
06-23-2006, 14:59
I'm still too new to bourbon to have favorites...but I am impressed at the range of brands that folks have listed. Each post of the thread seems very unique.

wintersway
06-23-2006, 15:21
Hello all, first post here! Current favorite coming from a long time single malt drinker sick of paying the premium price for unnaturally manipulated products:

Old Weller 107

I just keep coming back to this bottle. Outstanding flavor, nose and body. My wife smells it and says "wow, that smells great!" that's telling me something!
As a bonus it's a 19.00 bottle. Caoul Ila was my favorite single @ $50 per.

I'm new at this Bourbon thing. I have quite a few bottles in the bunker and I'm really happy to have discovered the wealth of variety and quality that is Bourbon.

A big nod to this board for it's wit and wisdom. It is a spectacular resource for the American whiskey drinker!

-winter

Frodo
06-23-2006, 23:29
Living in Ontario means I'm restricted to buying what our state liquor stores offer, which is mostly BT and Beam products. Having said that, the ones which I have bought most often are Elmer T. Lee and Elijha Craig.

CrispyCritter
06-24-2006, 00:59
In the under-$25 "everyday pour" range, my favorites include:

OGD 114
WT 101
Old Fitzgerald BIB
VG90
BT
Weller (Antique or 12yo)Also, I can't forget the ryes!
Rittenhouse BIB
WT RyeWT 101 and Rye, and Rittenhouse BIB, are also my favorite choices for Manhattans, with the ryes also great for Sazeracs.

While Saz Jr. fits the "under-$25" category, it seems to have disappeared from the shelves around here. :( As such, I'm reluctant to open my remaining bottle just yet.

HBUSSELL
06-24-2006, 15:40
Woodford Reserve,
Buffalo Trace
Old Pogue
Bulleit
MM

Whiskey River
06-24-2006, 16:55
George T Stagg (fall 05)
WTRB
Eagle Rare 10yr (only one I've had)
Bookers
OGD 114

WT Rye

Nebraska
06-24-2006, 21:27
Hey Crispy,

I just had some Saz Jr. shipped from Binny's about 4 weeks ago. Although it does not show up on their website, Brett told me he had several cases still left.

Nebraska
06-24-2006, 21:29
Hey Winter,

Welcome to the board. I agree about the Weller Antique 107. It was one of my favorite pours early on and still remains in high favor with me.

gothbat
06-24-2006, 22:08
Favorites (no particularr order):

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old (Lot B)
Pappy Van Winkle 20
1792: Ridgemont Reserve
Wild Turkey: Rare Breed

Least Favorite:

Rock Hill Farms

I was going to add George T. Stagg to the list of favorites but it may be a while before I add it. I drank about 3/4 of the bottle I bought last January and while I enjoyed it I wasn't really too impressed by it. Then last week I poured myself a glass of it and was blown away, I loved it and have been thinking about pouring some more ever since. I try to make sure I have no taste in my mouth before I start sipping, I often have a glass of water before, but I always wonder when something like this happens if there was some smell in the air or a taste in my mouth (one that I'm unaware of because perhaps it's been there a while and I've gotten used to it) that complimented it. This has happened to me before, the first time I had Elijah Craig 18 I was raving about it but Iím convinced that I liked it so much because the house smelled like fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Although I still like this bourbon it has never tasted Ĺ as good any time Iíve had it since. I look forward to giving the Stagg another try and hopefully adding it!

jburlowski
06-25-2006, 16:29
Limiting my self to one (and only one): ETL.

contrarian
06-25-2006, 16:43
If money and availability weren't an issue, I'd drink much much more Stagg, Pappy 15, RHF, Wm Larue Weller and Rare Breed.

As it is, I almost get my fair share of these (for which I am thankful), but drink a lot more Weller Antique, OGD 114, Corner Creek, Rittenhouse and WT rye.

gothbat, given your EC18 experience, maybe there was some hinky smell floating through your neighborhood last time you had RHF? I can't find anything I DON'T LIKE about this one....

Jeff

gothbat
06-25-2006, 17:54
gothbat, given your EC18 experience, maybe there was some hinky smell floating through your neighborhood last time you had RHF? I can't find anything I DON'T LIKE about this one....

I thought about that but I don't think it's the case as I've had this one several times with the same result and whatever I had after the RHF tasted as good as it usually does. Who knows, maybe I just have a bad bottle or something. It doesn't taste bad, I mean it's drinkable and all but it's also just an odd tasting bourbon to me. If I am ever eating or drinking at a place that sells this by the glass I'll probably order it to test he bad bottle/cork theory since it's such a highly regarded bourbon around here. Maybe they will be sampling it at Whiskeyfest NYC, I'll be there so I'll definitely give it another taste if possible.

gr8erdane
06-26-2006, 03:37
Hmmm, the last three threads this question was asked in I think I was pretty consistant in saying the following are my favorite five:

1. Pappy 20
2. Lot B
3. Stagg (any)
4. WT Tribute
5. EC 12 (except my last bottle)

Maybe I should try using the search function to see what I answered the other times....

TimmyBoston
06-27-2006, 04:28
Like many people stated above, your favorites may change. I know mine do.

I'd also like to welcome Winter to Straightbourbon.com.

T47
06-27-2006, 12:32
My favorite is Bookers, followed by GT Stagg, Pappy 15, OGD 114, WT RB. Though due to $$ I find myself drinking OGD 114 and WT 101 more than anything else.
I still have so many more to try...I look forward to them all.

gr8erdane
06-28-2006, 02:28
Sorry to seem snippy Timmy, but bumping old threads is allowed and encouraged. It gets some of us old timers to go back and read just what you are saying, how our tastes have changed over time. Trying to be tongue in cheek sometimes leaves me with a taste of Nike.

wku88
06-28-2006, 22:50
Very Old Heaven Hill is the choice at the moment, but Weller 12, E.T.Lee, and Maker's also have a reserved spot in my cabinet/bunker at any time.

tritioch
06-29-2006, 21:51
Readily available
Eagle Rare 10yr SB
Elmer T Lee
VWFR 13yr
EC18
Noah's Mill 15

Less available
Eagle 17 :grin:
Stagg (Any)
Eagle Rare 13yr barrel proof (straight from the barrel)
WTRR 101 (just got bumped from the readily available locally)
Vintage Bourbon 17yr KBD

Still have yet to get into BMH, local availability just sucks. I love the PVW line but availability of anything but the 20 yr locally is terrible too.

tgriff
07-04-2006, 06:12
As is usually the case, the things I get interested in are on their way out:

Eagle Rare 101 is my current favorite, and at $20 ea, will probably be my "go to" pour for awhile as long as I can keep finding bottles.

EvanB
03-02-2007, 13:11
Makers Mark
Bulleit
Pappy Van Winkle 15yr
Basil Hayden's

ratcheer
03-02-2007, 16:03
I can't believe I haven't seen and responded to this thread, before. Anyway, here goes:

From Buffalo Trace, my favorites are Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's, and Elmer T. Lee.

From Beam, I like Old Grand Dad 114.

From Wild Turkey, I really like almost everything except the 80-proof. Most especially Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit.

I also love Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.

From Heaven Hill, my top choices are Elijah Craig 12-year old and Henry McKenna 10-year old single barrel BIB.

Tim

ggilbertva
03-03-2007, 08:00
Ok, no Holy Grails....Let's see,

VW Lot B (I go to this more than any other)
Wathens SB
VSOF

Nightcap
03-10-2007, 21:37
My regulars are Wild Turkey 101 and Buffalo Trace (when I can get it. Washington State Liquor Control Nazis don't regularly stock it, but there's one that special orders.) I experiment with other bourbons, and even Sc*tch, but these are my mainstays.

Never met a whiskey I didn't like, but I like some more than others. For the money, I think Buffalo Trace is one of the best values on the shelf. Smooooooooth, with real character.

whiskeyhatch
03-11-2007, 00:28
Well, here goes, my first post. I've learned so much here (Thank you). I love Bourbon and I love this website. There are so many Bourbons I have yet to try but so far my favorites are:

1) Old Weller Antique 107
2) Wild Turkey 101
3) Buffalo Trace
4) OGD 114
5) Maker's Mark (my standard during my earlier days of drinking Bourbon)

ThomasH
03-11-2007, 09:05
I much prefer to have a favorite from each distillery as well as a favorite rye and favorite wheater so here goes:

Jim Beam-I prefer the Black label as this was one of the first extra aged bourbons I drank and liked. If only it was 8yrs/90 proof.

Makers Mark-While there is basically a single product here, I am fond of the bottled mint julep. In fact, it is one of my favorite all time drinks, period!

Heaven Hill-I like the Evan Williams 1783 for not only the taste but also the price.

Barton-I haven't had a taste of all there brands yet, but do like the Ridgemont Reserve 1792.

Woodford Reserve-again this is mostly a single product producer but I will go on record as liking it. Have never had the four grain and by the looks of the price, probably never will either.

Buffalo Trace-this is the hardest decision of all as this place has a lot of good stuff. My pick is Elmer T Lee not only because of the taste but because it is easily attainable. I like Hancocks reserve nearly as much, but the price is mostly way up and it isn't as readily available.

Wild Turkey-Another hard decision. My first choice is Russels Reserve 101 but since it has been retired I will say the 8yr 101 from duty free. It is the same price for a liter as the regular 101 is for a 750 in Ohio.

Four Roses-I haven't had all there versions yet but do like the Bulleit that they produce. It isn't a bad price and has a decent taste.

KBD-Even though there whiskey comes from other distillers, they still have to age it and bottle it themselves. I like the old Bardstown 10yr 101. It isn't a bad price and tastes decent.

Van Winkle-Another great brand. I like the Pappy 15 not only because it is SW whiskey but also because it is half the price of the Pappy 20, which is also very good.

Rye-Rittenhouse BIB is the one for me. Its taste/price/proof ratio can't be beat.

Wheater-I like the W.L Weller 12. The taste is excellent and it isn't a bad price either.

Thomas

wskybnt
03-13-2007, 20:06
Fav's are:

WT101
Rare Breed
Pappy 15
Lot B
Bakers
Weller Ant/107
OC 12yr

These almost always get drank at least once a week....give or take.

full_proof
03-13-2007, 21:27
To this point...

Anything with Van Winkle on the label
WTRB
ER101
EWSB vintages
OF, esp. the Birthday bottlings

gothbat
03-13-2007, 21:56
When I first responded to this thread I was pretty harsh on the RHF when I labeled it as my least favorite. Since then I have finished the bottle I had and I am still firm in my statement of it tasting “odd” compared to all the other bourbons I’ve tried but it was never unpleasant nor was it un-enjoyable, in it’s own rite. I guess I was just put off by the fact that it was so different from everything else I’ve had. Even though it’s been a while since I’ve had it I still think it’s unlike any of the others I’ve tried so far and when I buy another, which I intend to do in the near future, I will be quite disappointed if it does not have the same unique (odd :)) taste.

I’d also like to add Old Weller Antique to the list, it’s probably the best value in wheaters that I have found so far. Also, George T. Stagg is now, and has been for a while, on my list of favorites. I’ve been astounded by it’s complexity and thought to myself “Wow, there’s a lot going on in here!” too many times for it not to be. I think the next time I have VWFR12 it may be replaced on my list by PVW15 but I will not jump to conclusions on that one.

Ubertaster
03-14-2007, 07:51
Of the bourbons my have to have in stock at all times is

WL Weller 12
Elmer T Lee

Non bourbons

Rittenhouse Rye BIB
Sazarac Jr.

bj