PDA

View Full Version : Evan Williams: A Bourbon that's Charcoal-Filtered?

robrent
03-06-2007, 14:21
Hello All!

This is my first post, and I joined the site with a very specific question in mind. As a bourbon lover who's long on enthusiasm but short on cash, I'm always looking for a good bottle at an even better price. I recently switched from Jim Beam White Label to Evan Williams, which is cheaper here in Chicago. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I like it as much, if not more than, Jim Beam White!

One thing I don't understand, however, is that Evan Williams is a charcoal-filtered bourbon. I always thought that charcoal filtering is what distinguishes Tennessee whiskey from bourbon.

Maybe this question was already answered in some thread that I just can't find...

Thanks!

ILLfarmboy
03-06-2007, 14:33
Welcome robrent.

the explanation can be found here http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6835

In short it is a different kind of charcoal filtration, activated charcoal. Done just before to bottling.

melting
03-06-2007, 14:53
Don't be afraid to try some Old Grand Dad. You can get the 100 proof BIB for less money than Jim Beam. Good deal since I think it's twice as good.

Chris

robrent
03-06-2007, 22:09
Cool! Thanks a lot for the info. Now I can have a drink without all the preoccupation in my mind.

Maybe I'll continue posting on the other thread once I've had a look.

I don't think I've tried Grand Old Dad, either, so I'll have to give that a shot.

I also think some of the Old Weller's are of excellent quality for the price. I recently tried Evan Williams Single Barrel for the first time. Really a steal considering what a magnificent bourbon it is (albeit at a much higher price than Evan Williams)!

-Rob