PDA

View Full Version : Help me refill my cabinet

mythrenegade
04-14-2007, 19:58
Next week I will be at Hi Times in Costa Mesa (www.hitimewine.net) which is quite a ways from where I live. I am down to only a few items in my cabinet: EWSB, KC, PVW20, ER10, and Bookers. My favorite bourbon is EC18.

So, assuming I will spend between $50 and $100, and don't want to buy a single bottle of bourbon, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Joel

SBOmarc
04-14-2007, 20:29
They stock all of the Weller line, OGD 114 is also plentiful. Try the Rittenhouse Rye BIB and last time I was there they had Saz JR. You should be able to get 4-5 bottles and stay at $100.

Warning...it may be difficult to resist spending the same dollars on one or two bottles also. Happy Hunting!

RedVette
04-15-2007, 08:23
In a reversal of what I would normally advise, I would go for quantity over quality. Hi Time has a lot of stuff, but they are usually both expensive on the rare stuff, and cheap on the bigger names. For $100 you could buy 5 decent and diverse bottles from the following list; ETL, Ridgemont, MM, KC, Corner Creek, WT101, Beam Black, Woodford.

Jazzhead
04-15-2007, 08:51
For my money, and based on what's listed on the website (there are no Weller brands, unfortunately), I'd my C-note thusly:

Old Fitzgerald BIB - $16: This is great for the price; the current version from Berheim is very respectible - I enjoyed a pour of it last night.

Old Forester Signature - $15: This also can't be beat for the price. OF is my everyday pour, and the 100 proof version is tough to score in these parts

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit - $41: Of the higher priced bourbons, this is my favorite.

Old Charter Proprietor's reserve - $31: I've never seen this stuff before, but I'd love to try it.

That's a little over the $100 limit, so maybe ditch the OC in favor of a Rittenhouse Rye 100, and you'll have change left over for a six pack of Genny Cream.

SBOmarc
04-16-2007, 14:45
...by all means skp the genny. Now if they have yeungling lager...

ThomasH
04-16-2007, 15:38
I would definitely get a wheater of some kind as well as a rye. the other 3 should be something you either really like or really have a strong desire to try!

Thomas

mythrenegade
04-16-2007, 17:53
Well,

Today was the trip. I ended up with a nice selection of bourbons that I haven't tried before. Here's what I chose:

(1) Old Van Winkel 10 yo - I wanted to try lot b, but this is nearly half the price. The only Van Winkel I've had is PVW20, so I wanted to try another.

(2) Old Forester 100 - Jazzhead suggested this, so I went for it.

(3) Russell's Reserve - I've never had this, and it was on sale so I decided to go for it.

(4) Ridgemont Reserve 1792 - On sale, another bourbon I've never had.

and then for good measure I picked up a bottle of Crown Royal. I know there are better Candians out there, but I like this one... I also picked up a couple of bottles of Stone Russian Imperial Stout. Great stuff that!

The total was $114 + tax including the Crown Royal ($17) and the stout ($5 each). Not too bad... My wife was with me and we are still speaking, so I guess it was a successful trip! :-)

Joel

NewBob
04-17-2007, 14:05
Excellent choices (Stone Imperial Stout, yum..confusing this with North Coast, should try some).
If you ever see it, give Forty Creek a try...that's some smooth Canadian.