PDA

View Full Version : Over the weekend I purchased (at Julio's Liquors)...

NickAtMartinis
06-18-2007, 06:15
...a bottle of Weller Centenial. On the bottle it obviously says 10 years, but bellow is a sticker from the the liquor store I purchase the states the followin:

Julio's Liquors
Hand Selected
Aged 13 years

I did not see this until after I left the liquor store. Anyway, I will contact them today to see if they can fill me in. But, does anyone know what this is about? Was this a barrel that was purchased by Julio's - which is a large liquor store - just for their own bottling?

There is someone that is familiar with Julio's, maybe he knows.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Mark

jwrussell
06-18-2007, 06:41
Quite possible. From their website:

In fact, several of us make a pilgrimage in early fall to Kentucky to buy specially selected barrels of bourbon only available at Julio's.

BTW, might help if you fill in your location.

heatmiser
06-18-2007, 07:03
Beverages & More out here in southern California has done this as well with Weller Centennial...

ggilbertva
06-18-2007, 07:28
Does the bottle indicate Louisville or Frankfort?

NickAtMartinis
06-18-2007, 08:29
Does the bottle indicate Louisville or Frankfort?

The bottle indicate Frankfort, I believe. I'll have to check when I get home.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

NickAtMartinis
06-18-2007, 09:35
Here's an email I received from Julio's Liquors (only took them 5 minutes to respond):

"Hi,
Yes, that is our select barrel from Buffalo Trace aged longer. Also, we will be selecting a new and different barrel this Fall.

Best Regards,
Sondra"

MikeK
06-18-2007, 09:51
Julios has been picking barrels for the last 3 years I think. They usually get BT, ER (at around 13yrs), Centennial (at aroud 13 yrs), and often Pappy-15. They are generally pretty good. Last years Centennial was 14yo and obviously S/W. It was marvelous. This years is BT wheat, and very nice.

A very good store for whiskey.

Cheers,

melting
06-24-2007, 07:31
Yes, Julio's is a good place for spirits in general. They usually have a great selection although the prices are generally about 10 to 15 percent higher than what I can purchase locally or a short distance to the New Hampshire stores. I limit my buying there to only the items I can't buy elsewhere.

They are quite informed about what's available however and will spend the time to answer questions or make recommendations. Always a plus.

The last time I was there, about three months ago, they had two different versions of Buffalo Trace. The standard bottle priced at $22.99 and the Julio's selected bottling priced slightly higher. I think it was $2.00 more. I figured it was just a marketing ploy and bought the cheaper version. Not dissapointed but I don't think that Buffalo Trace is worth $25.00 when I can buy Eagle Rare for $19.99.

Chris

MikeK
06-24-2007, 12:40
I agree, the store is huge and they have a great selection. But they are priced slightly higher than what you can find if you look around. The gems are their single barrel picks.

Several times a year they have a 15% off sale. Keep an eye out for that and you can do well.

Cheers,