PDA

View Full Version : tommydvd

tommydvd
07-10-2007, 16:54
Hello I am new to straight bourbon I like to tip a few mostly Jack and Jim Beam but I have a question about something I found in a antique shop. Decanters of a bourbon called Lionstone. The decanters are stamped 1969 and aged to 8 years old. They were opened but pretty full. The corks I just pushed in, didn't think I could get out in one piece. I put through coffee filter into a glass container with a cork. I drank half a shot it seems okay. The color is clear and a dark amber. Is it possible for this to be good after 30 years? I hope so. Don't know if this was a popular bourbon could not find alot of info except for decanters being sold on ebay. I hope its good enough to enjoy with friends!

ratcheer
07-10-2007, 17:32
Welcome aboard, Tommy! I don't know about your bourbon, though.

Tim

wadewood
07-10-2007, 19:45
I never heard of Lionstone, but the decanter market in the 60's and 70's was big business; often buyers were buying the decanter and not the whiskey inside. Ebay keeps the decanter collectors alive today.

Bourbon does not age once it is bottled. Pending this was kept in normal conditions over the 30 years, it should still be good to drink. The question is was the whiskey any good when it was put into the bottle 28 years ago?

tommydvd
07-11-2007, 16:18
Nobody seems to have heard of Lionstone, it was brewed in Lawrenceburg Kentucky. If this isn't for sippin I can always use it for mixed drinks. It maybe was a cheaper brand and probably average. Maybe that is why it's no longer made.