PDA

View Full Version : The best Egg Nogg?

NickAtMartinis
12-05-2007, 21:28
'Tis the season. What is the best Egg Nogg, store bought, you've ever had?

I've seen the Evan William and a bunch of others, just curious what your favorite store-bought is.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Mark Brown

ACDetroit
12-05-2007, 21:36
Dude Search!!! Know just kidding, I had a heck of a time finding it.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6400

NickAtMartinis
12-05-2007, 21:41
I love eggnog and bourbon.
I think Maker's Mark goes best with eggnog.
A local favorite here is Calder's eggnog. I don't know if it is a national brand or not.
Last weekend my sister-in-law came over and knowing my love of bourbon and it being "the season", she brought over a bottle of Evan Williams Original Southern Eggnog.
I was skeptical, but it turned out to be pretty good.
The label states that it has eggnog, EW bourbon, blended whiskey, rum and brandy. 30 proof.

I think I may make a run on this stuff.:grin:

NickAtMartinis
12-05-2007, 21:42
Dude Search!!! Know just kidding, I had a heck of a time finding it.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6400

Thanks, Tony, for the find. For whatever reason, I didn't even think of the search. And, I'm a guy who loves research. Go figure.

ACDetroit
12-05-2007, 21:46
Not sure how to send it but the Calder's is da bomb!!! You have to add bourbon to the bottle it comes in just to get it to pour :grin: . If I can send some on dry ice I will, just have to make the run down to get it.

Tony

OscarV
12-06-2007, 08:40
I scored on the Calder's not once but twice.
I got a quart in a generic plastic bottle for $5.99.
Then I got some in the old fasioned glass quart milk bottle with the 2007 Christmas label that is painted on for $9.59.
I still have last years bottle so I had to get this years, they make good vases for cut flowers. My wife is going to put some poinsettas and pine in them.

Dr. François
12-09-2007, 08:55
I know you suburb-dwellers are a bit far from the source, but Quality Dairy makes a damn fine egg nogg. It is made about a mile from my house here in Lansing.
The disadvantage? There's a really good chance you'll get mugged in the parking lot.

Of course, the character Fry from the show Futurama described his ideal Xmas:
"Every Christmas my Mom would get a fresh goose, for gooseburgers, and my Dad would whip up his special eggnog out of bourbon and ice cubes."

I tried this recipe. It was good!

CrashRiley
12-09-2007, 14:31
Does anyone here have any experience with the Pennsylvania Dutch Old Style Egg Nog (w/alcohol: rum, brandy and blended whiskey, 29.5%) or the Stirrings Egg Nog (no alcohol)?

We just started carrying both, but I haven't tasted them. Love to hear some informed opinions from those that have.

NickAtMartinis
12-09-2007, 20:17
Just to let you all know, don't try Old New England Egg Nogg!!!!

gr8erdane
12-15-2007, 17:29
Just to let you know, Evan Williams Egg Nog is NOT a good substitute for milk when making scrambled eggs for breakfast. Experience talking. The egg nogg taste drowned out my Jimmy Dean Hot sausage even. I guess if you like sweet eggs, it would do. Most of the alcohol seemed to have evaporated though.

cowdery
12-15-2007, 18:01
You paint a pretty picture, Dane.