PDA

View Full Version : Born with bourbon in my blood

KyWoman
12-27-2007, 09:50
Hi to all! Happy to be here.

I was born and raised in Frankfort KY and woke every morning with the sweet smell of sour mash hanging in the air. Maybe this is why I love bourbon?

I went through my wine and 'frou-frou drink' phase and have now permanently returned to the good stuff.

I look forward to chatting with y'all!

smokinjoe
12-27-2007, 09:57
"I love the smell of sour mash in the morning...It smells like....Victory..."

Welcome to the Community KyWoman. I know you'll have a great time!

:toast:

JOE

OscarV
12-27-2007, 12:15
I have been to Bardstown three times.
The last time when I smelled the mash in the air from the Barton Distillery it felt like someone saying "Welcome back".

Glad you found the site KyWoman, SB.com could use more of a Woman's touch.
Right Bettye Jo and Dawn?

KyWoman
12-27-2007, 15:25
Hey guys....it does seem like the women are outnumbered on this site. Alot of my girlfriends are afraid of stronger spirits - for whatever reason. I have converted a few, but for the most part they are still into wine and frou frou drinks.

We have a local liquor store that carries every brand of bourbon imaginable. It can be overwhelming....plus you don't want to spend $40 on a bourbon that you don't like. So I stick with the ones I know (Woodford, Beam Black and Makers) although I like Four Roses that the WildTurkey folks produce. I hope to get some good tips on some of the others to try.

I tried a small sample bottle of the Booker's and it was good and strong....definitely something for special occasions.

Growing up I knew people who worked for National Distillers and Ancient Age. The first alcohol I every tried was Ancient Age...! Needless to say I ended up talking to Ralph on the big white phone. People in my home town bought the used whiskey barrels and planted flowers in them - the smell of the whiskey lingered for about 6 months. It is ironic because alot of these folks were straight laced Baptists...

TNbourbon
12-27-2007, 15:59
...although I like Four Roses that the WildTurkey folks produce...

Four Roses Distillery (owned by Japan's Kirin) makes Four Roses Bourbon, not Wild Turkey. I guess even Kentucky folks don't realize there are TWO distilling companies in Lawrenceburg.:skep:
But, you're right -- Four Roses is fine bourbon, by Jim (Rutledge, that is, not Russell)!
http://www.fourroses.us/

smokinjoe
12-27-2007, 18:15
"...I ended up talking to Ralph on the big white phone." :slappin: (BTW, I wish I knew how to quote only a part of a previous post :frown:) That's a new one for me, I love it! That will now officially replace "Praying to the porcelain God" in my vernacular. Almost makes me want to start a new Off Topic thread: How many ways can you say "Barf"?

Cheers!

JOE

pepcycle
12-28-2007, 08:04
http://surveycentral.org/survey/20303.html

You started it.

:shocked:

ACDetroit
12-28-2007, 08:56
Welcome KyWomen, and I hope you enjoy your stay. That coming from another Northerner. Maybe try some Weller 12yr. if you get a chance, I really like it for the money.

Cheers!

You started it.

Now that's funny Mr. Ed, but I did not see blowing your Groceries on the list :lol: ! No not the Grocery list!

Tony

luv2hunt
12-30-2007, 20:23
Welcome!!! Glad to have another gal in the ranks :grin: Don't let the boys intimidate you....they're not that tough!! LOL!!

Dawn

bobbyc
01-03-2008, 10:53
It is ironic because alot of these folks were straight laced Baptists...My forte, thanks for counting me in........

I'm on a crusade to dispel what I can of this lingering issue. Fermentation is Gods immutable law, when the Bible says Wine it means Wine and not Grape Juice. Stopping fermentation would have been a challenge way back when. I did find a reference to using mustard seed to cease it,I didn't read on to see if that merely was a matter of faith or if it really worked.:slappin: The churches took sides on the alcohol issue before prohibition, that lingers to the present and it was only a political issue of the day prior to 1920.

Welcome here!

TnSquire
01-08-2008, 13:11
Welcome!

yodeling in the porcelain canyon