PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon-gram for Mongo...

mongo
01-12-2008, 11:21
Howdy all, first post here. I'm a newly minted bourbon afficionado, and hope to learn alot from y'all. I don't have the knowledge or colorful adjectives to describe what it is I'm drinking, but I know when I like something. Here's what I've had AND liked: Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2006. These two I like straight up, with an occasional splash of water or cube. Bourbons I like as mixers but not quite good enough to drink straight up: Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark, Knob Creek. Others I've had that were decent enough straight up (but not as good as WTRB or OFBB2006) Buffalo Trace and Basil Hayden's.

That's pretty much the extent so far of my bourbons. I am of course excluding good ol' Jack Daniels... hasn't everybody gotten ripped on Jack as a teenager? Yuck! Not good bourbon (errr, excuse me... Tennessee sour mash). I'll go better for mixers.

I will be hitting the liquor store on the way home today... thinking Four Roses small batch, Bulleit, Pappy 15 as one or more of the next possibles.

Looking forward to doing mostly reading/lurking. If and when I feel knowledgeable to comment I will.

Cheers, Mongo

mongo
01-12-2008, 21:08
Well, I purchased a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. This is the best I've had yet! Absolutely no need for even a drop of water, very smooth and very complex to me. I am enjoying this immensely!

TNbourbon
01-12-2008, 21:15
Welcome, and you'll find little dissension here regarding FR Small Batch. But, additionally, you have much to look forward to, because it seems you have a sound palate, and there are a plethora of wonderful whiskeys you didn't note a familiarity with.
As you become familiar with those many, you'll more fully understand the passion of many of us here for this American spirit.

Dr. François
01-17-2008, 18:27
Welcome, Mongo.

OscarV
01-18-2008, 12:55
I purchased a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch.

Is FR in Chicago now or did you get it elsewhere?

mongo
01-26-2008, 19:59
I purchased mine at Binny's on Hwy 83, north of I-55. I'll stick my neck out and assume that the other Chicago land Binny's will have it too.

spun_cookie
01-27-2008, 11:13
Welcome Mango... I shall toast you with a little Four Roses Single Barrel...

"I get no kicks from champagne. Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all"

... but BOURBON does :yum: