PDA

View Full Version : Something Sweet

Taggerung
02-13-2008, 13:13
I find that I really like the sweeter vanilla, toffee, and almost maple syrupy notes in the BT. They are much more pronounced in the nose than in the taste but being as strong as they are when you nose the glass I want to taste a bit more when I take a sip. So the question is, if I were looking for a bourbon with this profile what should I get? I am leaning toward ETL or EWSB. Thanks in advance.

-Tim

T47
02-13-2008, 13:30
I have always found Weller 12 to be sweet, and ETL as well. A search should lead you Here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7114&highlight=sweetest+bourbon)

:toast:

Taggerung
02-13-2008, 14:05
Thanks for the link. Based on that thread the vote totals look like this...

ETL - 10
Fighting Cock - 4
Weller 12yo - 3
Weller Special Reserve - 2
Weller Antique 107 - 2
VW Lot B - 2
Old Fitzgerald BIB - 2
Bulleit - 2
JB Black - 2
VG 90 - 2

and several others mentioned only once.

I guess that means I was on the right track with the ETL and way off base with the Evan Williams Single Barrel (not even mentioned in the linked thread).

-Tim

Dr. François
02-13-2008, 15:10
Tim,
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but my favorite "sweeter" is the "new," split label Old Charter 10YO. It's cheap, too.

But man...ETL is great also.

ggilbertva
02-13-2008, 19:36
Tim,

I find the older Eagle Rare 10 year to be somewhat sweet. Old Rip Van Winkle and Very Old Barton are on the sweet side....to my taste.

For me, the ETL has been hit or miss. Binny's honey picks of ETL are very good. I picked up an ETL from my local ABC and not so good.

felthove
02-14-2008, 09:47
Rittenhouse Rye BIB is pretty sweet. I don't find ETL to be as sweet as some of the others that were listed in this thread.