PDA

View Full Version : First post and a Tasting Flight Order Question...

digamma
02-20-2008, 09:04
Hi, I'm new to the site. Originally from Georgia but now live in Southern California. I've enjoyed reading some of the background posts since finding the site a few days ago.

Anyhow, I have a guys trip coming up and would like to do a bit of a tasting as my contribution to the trip. We have a tequila afficianado in the group, so he is bringing several nice tequilas for a tasting on the first night. I need to do my part for the second night.

I have an unopened bottle of 1792 at home and will bring a bottle of Basil Hayden's as well. I am looking for suggestions of a few others (2-3 bottles) to include from across the bourbon spectrum, as well as any suggestions on order of tasting or other tips you might have.

Thanks very much for any help.

NickAtMartinis
02-20-2008, 13:51
I would suggest including Weller Antique or ORVW 10/107, WT Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit, and OGD BIB or OGB 114.

That way you have some nice wheated bourbons (Weller and VW) and some good rye'd (but not so overpowering) bourbon (WT) as well as a high rye'd bourbon in OGD (which also tastes very unique).

mozilla
02-20-2008, 16:09
I like Marks suggestions, but would go this way if I were to choose....Turkey Rye 101, BT or Old Charter 10yr and finally a Bib bourbon of your choice.
That way you cover Rye, heavy corn and standard bourbon at 100 proof.
Have a great time and "Hurray Bourbon".

digamma
02-24-2008, 14:17
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I took you up on some of them.

We did a warm up tasting last night, after our trip for this weekend got rained out.

We tasted Weller Antique, WT Rare Breed, Old Grand Dad BIB and Willett Estate Single Barrel Reserve.

There were four of us tasting. We were split between the OGD and the Willett as our favorites--two votes each. Interestingly, we all ranked the Weller as our second favorite. The WT was fourth for everyone--not as smooth as the others, very fiery.

I was one of the votes for the Willett. Very smooth, with a hint of vanilla.