PDA

View Full Version : Home from Iraq and becoming a bourbon man.

d_nelly78
03-12-2008, 23:17
I think for me whiskey is an inherited trait. My grandfather was a Jack and coke man, one of my uncles is a 7&7 man, and another uncle of mine likes the Canadian blends. Of course my father is a beer man and occasionally has a whiskey drink on special occasions. I was always a Crown Royal drinker for the obvious reason of it being so smooth and mellow. But during my recent deployment to Iraq, in between dodging mortars and rockets, I became very patriotic. Laying in my bed one night longing for a stiff drink I decided to become a bourbon drinker. There was no alcohol in Iraq but I had plenty of time to think about what I would be drinking as soon as I got home. I've been trying almost anything I can get my hands on. I am stationed in Alaska and many of the brands are hard to find or terribly expensive. Being an enlisted man I have expensive tastes but not so deep pockets. I think for the money Jim Beam Black is the best (around $20 a bottle here). My best pour so far has been Baker's or Rock Hill Farms (both between $40-50 here). I really want to try Buffalo Trace and George T Stagg which I can find nowhere here. But I am moving to Virginia and going on vacation to Florida this month so hopefully I can find them there. Okay, I've rambled on enough. All I have left to say is that this is a great site. Over and Out!!

Sijan
03-12-2008, 23:28
Welcome back to the US! Sounds like you are off to a good start!

JB Black is also a favorite everyday pour of mine - and was one of my most frequent pours during the thrifty days of law school. I have a post in the "New to Straightbourbon" section about other good values in bourbon/rye that you may find helpful. Here's a link: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142

RHF is outstanding stuff.

VA is a control state but the state stores have a very good selection of bourbon, usually at very good prices.

Virus_Of_Life
03-12-2008, 23:48
Welcome home, welcome to the board and most of all, THANK YOU for your service to our country.:usflag:

bluesbassdad
03-13-2008, 01:16
I echo Christian's sentiments. :usflag: :thankyousign:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Tracy Hightower
03-13-2008, 03:43
Yes, THANK YOU for your service.

Welcome Home!

Cheers!

ILLfarmboy
03-13-2008, 04:02
Welcome to the board, and thank you for your service.

I look forward to hearing your impression of Buffalo Trace and Stagg. Both are quality products that I always make room for on my shelves.

BourbonJoe
03-13-2008, 05:19
Glad to have you back and glad to hear you are now a "Bourbon Man". Enjoy the site, contribute when you can and THANK YOU for your service.
Joe :usflag:

T47
03-13-2008, 06:50
Welcome home, welcome to the board and most of all, THANK YOU for your service to our country.:usflag:

Can't put it better than that!

:toast:

spun_cookie
03-13-2008, 09:20
Can't put it better than that!

:toast:

HERE-HERE!!! :thankyousign: :usflag:

OscarV
03-13-2008, 11:41
Hey d_nelly78 glad you made it home safe.
That Rock Hill Farms for 50 bucks isn't a bad price at all at least compared to what it goes for here in MI, I think it is just under 60 here.
If you are going to up in Alaska for a while, PM me if you would like and I could send you something that you can't get up there.

d_nelly78
03-13-2008, 13:13
Thanks for welcoming me home and to the forum. Oscar I am PCS'ing/moving to Virginia this week so I should be able to get a hold of a better selection of bourbon's there. I appreciate you offering to help me out though. Thank's again you'll.

TNbourbon
03-13-2008, 17:50
For a toast or a drink en route to anywhere (Tennessee is alway on the way to wherever you go), stop in.
Welcome.

SBOmarc
03-13-2008, 19:42
For a toast or a drink en route to anywhere (Tennessee is alway on the way to wherever you go), stop in.
Welcome.

Same goes for Southern Cal, and we have beaches...I'm just sayin.

Tennessee Dave
03-14-2008, 12:41
Welcome home and THANKS for what you did for America. Great place here!:thankyousign:

bigtoys
03-14-2008, 15:09
Welcome home and to the board. Again, thank you. Glad you're safe.

Good luck with your bourbon quest and enjoy!

RM High
03-19-2008, 21:32
Like everyone else, thank you for your service!! You are a better man than I.

jburlowski
03-20-2008, 17:11
Thanks for serving all of us! Great to have you home. Have one (or a few) on me.

Sijan
03-20-2008, 19:45
Where in Virginia will you be? I'm in Arlington (Northern VA).

Jazzhead
03-20-2008, 19:54
For all you've done, my sincere thanks. Don't forget to try when in Virginia the "Fox", Virginia Gentlemen 90. I have business down in Vienna maybe twice a year and always make a point to bring back a bottle. The control stores have a lot of weird cheap bourbons I've never seen anyplace else.

SippinJim
03-30-2008, 15:36
Like others have said, "Thank You for your service and sacrifice" If you were in my neck of the woods (SoCal) I'd probably open my Van Winkle 20 year old or my AH Hirsch 16 year old and we'd have a sip.

DoubleT
04-01-2008, 13:39
First, welcome home and thanks for your service, from one BTDT to another.

As for bourbon, good choice. I found that I actually prefer bourbon over CR because of it's more intense flavor and aroma. Once you get your hands on Buffalo Trace I think you will really enjoy it. My brother brought me my first bottle a couple of weeks ago and I fell in love.

Once you are in VA you will find it easier to obtain what you want. For one thing you will be infinately closer to KY than your were in AK or Iraq. Of course, while you are sampling do forget my favorite, Maker's Mark. You'll find you own as you go. Now that you're home, take the time to enjoy them all. You earned it. Thanks again for serving from an old "Double" Vet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/ma2tucker/double.jpg

d_nelly78
04-15-2008, 18:13
Respect goes both ways here. Different times and sacrifices but all for the same reason. I'm glad to be here in VA and out of Alaska. I have only been here a week and have not been around a whole lot but I have yet to see a liquor store anywhere. I have just been buying from the Class IV Shoppete on post. They have good prices. Makers Mark is very good but for the price I think I like Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam Black, and Eagle Rare a little better. They all are between 20-25$ here. The thing I like about Maker's is it is carried in most bars. Thanks again