PDA

View Full Version : Knob Creek: Yay or nay?

Eggman
05-25-2008, 23:46
Howdy,

I've been drinking Bourbon for less than a year now. I began with JBB and now it's my favorite. I'm not really as enthusiastic or experienced with Bourbon as most of you.
My bourbon consumption is done 85% of the time as a nightcap with 2 oz. of JBB or JBW in a small glass of Diet Coke. BTW, i drink Diet Coke all day!
I've also experimented with WT101 and liked it, but decided to sample a pricer Bourbon: Knob Creek. I'm disappointed with KC.
After going through most of a bottle ( 2 oz. w/ Diet Coke & ice), I've got to say that KC just isn't to my taste. The "nose" for JBW gives me corn flakes, some caramel..and Listerine. JBB: Char, corn flakes and some Licorice.
But with KC, I just can't get a read out of the bottle, nose-wise. Consumed in Diet Coke, KC just doesn't seem to pull it's weight-for the money. Anyone else?
I understand that KC is popular, but I wonder if I'm alone in failing to be impressed with KC. I vote "Nay". YMMV.

Eggman

fishnbowljoe
05-26-2008, 02:33
Yay! I Like it. When I want a good stiff bourbon and Coke, KC is what I have. I like it so much, I have enough bunkered away to last me quite a while. Joe

ratcheer
05-26-2008, 06:16
KC in not in my favorites list, but I like it just fine. It is a good, solid bourbon with loads of flavor. That said, I haven't bought any in several years, either.

Tim

ILLfarmboy
05-26-2008, 08:09
My sentiments mirror Tim's. I don't keep any at the house but I do occasionally have some at a restaurant or bar. I've never mixed it with Coke. I'm not a bourbon and Coke drinker. Incidentally, I'm a die-hard diet Coke drinker too. I like the occasional JD and Coke, but never with diet, it has to be regular. I've even tried Coke Zero, but it just doesn't taste right to me.

chilidawg7
05-26-2008, 09:31
I enjoy Knob Creek when out at a bar, mixed with Cola, or perhaps tailgating in the fall. It's not one of my favorite, go-to pours, but I don't turn it down, if offered. :)

callmeox
05-26-2008, 10:37
My scotch drinking friend keeps KC around for when non malt drinkers (like me) stop by. I enjoy it straight, on the rocks and mixed with cola, though I don't have a bottle of it around the house. My brother-in-law used to give me a bottle of it for christmas every year and this year he changed up and gave me some Blanton's.

ratcheer
05-26-2008, 11:26
My brother-in-law used to give me a bottle of it for christmas every year and this year he changed up and gave me some Blanton's.

Nice change. :yum: Blanton's is one of my top favorites.

Tim

mgilbertva
05-26-2008, 12:16
Nay. I only drink KC if there's nothing else available, or if the other choice is reduced to JB White or JD. But if it comes to spending $25-$30+ for a new bottle there are so many better choices out there.

dcb
05-26-2008, 12:34
I like it OK, but I don't plan on ever buying another bottle, considering what else can be had for the same price or less.

jburlowski
05-26-2008, 14:10
Yay but not at the premium price... Like others I'll drink it when out and it's the best available. But when it comes to buying a bottle: there are many better values available.

OscarV
05-26-2008, 15:05
Yeah, I'm with John B on this.
Dining out I will have a KC after dinner if that is the best they offer.
But that's it, I have been through 2 bottles and no more is necessary.

gothbat
05-26-2008, 16:35
Like most here, I'm not a big fan of this one either. It's not bad, I've bought it twice, but now I pretty much only drink it if I'm in a bar and it's the best they've got.

drunkenjayhawk
05-26-2008, 16:54
My bottle of KC sees visits from me only rarely anymore, just so much outhere anymore. All in all not a bad bourbon just not an outstanding one either.

PhilsFan
05-26-2008, 17:03
KC is okay, but I like Very Old Barton 100 BIB much better... and it costs much less than KC.

-Joe

OldJack
05-26-2008, 19:10
Eggman,

Like you, I'm sort of new to bourbon. I just tried KC for the first time over the holiday weekend. I quite enjoyed it on the rocks and I made a well-balanced "perfect" Manhattan which I sipped poolside with a nice murado cigar. It was a lovely way to watch the sun go down.

That said, I much prefer Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace, Weller Antique, and WT101- all of which are less expensive in my area.

In other words, I won't be buying KC, but I'll gladly take a free pour any chance I get.

Schpyder
05-27-2008, 20:35
I'm with most of the rest on this. KC was my introduction to "good" bourbon, several years back, and I appreciate it for that. But compared to most of the other stuff I've picked up since, it really can't compare on a value or flavor basis, as far as I'm concerned. It's better than the cheaper stuff Beam makes, I guess, but not better than cheaper stuff a lot of other distilleries produce. And certainly not up to things in its general price range.

SBOmarc
05-27-2008, 20:41
Yay. For me it is a question of numbers. 9 yrs old, a higher proof and in these parts near or at the $20 mark.

I have no complaints when I offer it to visitors and enjoy it very much.

TNbourbon
05-27-2008, 20:59
...near or at the $20 mark...

I keep seeing that. For God's sake, stop it! It's never less than $30 here, and more like $32, then tax!:frown:

Luna56
05-27-2008, 23:29
Like many here I regard the KC as being pretty good, but not a first choice. KC is about 26 bucks here and there are many bourbons (even with NH's limited selection) I'd pick before the KC. It's not bad, though and the $ to % ratio stacks up well in its favor. I had one recently in a hotel bar (the gal poured a big snifter 3/4 full! Thank God for inexperienced bartenders!) and enjoyed it.

The world of bourbon is full of options and I can't say that I've ever had one I would flatly refuse if push came to shove.

Cheers!

PS- Guess that means I give it a Yay!

Whiskey Willie
05-28-2008, 12:09
Yay. I bought a bottle last week. I pick up a bit of orange in KC and drink it as a change of pace.

BourbonJoe
05-28-2008, 12:46
It's OK. I drink it. Better stuff around for thr money though.
Joe :usflag:

CorvallisCracker
05-28-2008, 14:06
I keep seeing that. For God's sake, stop it! It's never less than $30 here, and more like $32, then tax!:frown:

Here it is $35.95, though no tax. Still too high. There is other stuff I like better at lower prices.

I like it okay. Actually, for a number of years after WT 101 went from 8yo to NAS (at least for the domestic market), KC was my standard pour.

Gillman
05-28-2008, 19:37
Okay, brass tacks, here's a taste note.

Nose: pleasant nose of florals and citrus, like one of those mango vodkas but with a deeper background informed by wood and smoke.

Taste: less smoke in the flavor, citrus still present, good round taste with some arak-like hints (the anise signature of modern Beam), and some sweetness. The proof is barely noticed.

Aftertaste: quite light but with hints of wood and anise.

A fine bourbon, sometimes less anise-tasting than this current sample. Like Booker's but lower proof. Good stuff.

Gary

scubie02
05-28-2008, 19:44
Not really a fan of KC myself--lots of others I'd take for the same money, and several for less. Give me Eagle Rare for about the same $ here, or Elijah Craig for considerably less. It's not as bad as some though, not really bad per se anyway, just not really that good either :lol:

blux
05-28-2008, 21:40
I like KC but have only had it at bars and have no plans to buy a bottle any time soon. With KC at $28.99 for 750ml's, I'll take ERSB (750) for a dollar less, EC12 for $19.99 (750) or OGD 114 (750) for $23.99 instead. The list goes on...

scopenut
05-29-2008, 14:32
It can still be had for $20 here, so I buy some now and again.

-Kevin

ratcheer
05-29-2008, 15:35
Like Booker's but lower proof. Good stuff.

Gary

I totally agree. I have always felt that KC and Booker's share a taste profile very closely. I believe that at some point I described Booker's as, "KC on steroids".

Tim

cowdery
05-29-2008, 15:54
I like Knob and always have, but I think the key to the brand's success has been its pricing. They then pretty much set the standard for that segment of the market, which is where most of the action has been for the last few years.

DowntownD
05-30-2008, 11:27
nay.

maybe, sometimes, if it were $18 a bottle.

scubie02
05-30-2008, 18:35
I actually go back and forth on it--i have a bottle on hand now and had some tonight and it didn't seem half bad, last time I had some, it didn't seem that great *shrug*

jwrussell
06-05-2008, 12:26
Yea, but I don't drink it with Diet Coke...well, not IN Diet Coke. I may have a Diet Coke sitting there to drink from, but I drink KC like I drink all of my bourbons, neat. It was my first love and is still a staple for me. As to premium price, I can get it for $20/bottle at some of the better stores around here and I think it fits that price just fine.

fog
06-06-2008, 11:28
I enjoy it and usually have a bottle upon.

kickert
06-13-2008, 07:42
I just got my first bottle of KC a few weeks ago. My initial impression was neither good nor bad. I found it had a very earthy taste. As I usually do with a new bourbon I set up a mini blind taste test and compared it to what I had on hand: 4 Roses Small Batch, 1792, WTRB, and VOB (86). It was easy to pick out the high proof KC and WTRB and between those it was the taste of dirt that set off the KC.

I am not an experianced bourbon drinker, but for me, the KC was the most distinct of all those poured.

JasonFalls
06-13-2008, 09:48
Thanks for this thread, Eggman. The Knob Creek peeps are just down the hall from me and it's good to hear all the different perspectives. Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Jono
06-13-2008, 10:04
It is a change of pace drink for me...it is bold in profile...can be a little rough..burn, sharp notes...but generally I like it well enough..a little ice helps.

CorvallisCracker
06-13-2008, 10:23
Thanks for this thread, Eggman. The Knob Creek peeps are just down the hall from me and it's good to hear all the different perspectives. Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

I would love to know why it costs $36 here in Oregon. Elsewhere in this thread I'm seeing that it can pe purchased in other locations for as low as $20.

If it was priced competively with BT ($22-24) I'd buy it more often.