PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Holland

Dutchie66
06-11-2008, 08:48
At last it worked.
My name is Bas and i have been enjoying bourbon for several years now.
I want to learn more about the history of bourbon and the way it's been made. I recently started collecting mini's again and because of that collection i probably will ask you questions about how to determine the age of a bottle and learn more about the distillery.
I won't ask about the value because i usually already have the bottle and damage is already been done:grin:.

My favourite brand is Jim Beam but i recently tried some really good other bourbons as well. I found some stores overhere and in nearby Germany with a lot of different brands.

i've been trying to visit this site for several months and i couldn't. :hot: There seems to be a problem with the server not recognising my IP. I use a router for internetting and phoning over the net and for that service there are new IP adresses created which are not recognized by every server.
But with a proxyserver it finally worked.

J.W.
06-11-2008, 09:21
Hello Dutchie66. Welcome to the board. The websight below might be of intrest to you. If you can try the Jim Beam Black or any of the Wild Turkey
products.

Regards
J.W.

http://home.netcom.com/~cowdery/bour5.html

mozilla
06-11-2008, 09:22
Hey Bas,

Welcome to the board. I am glad that you made it over all those hurdles and finally crossed the finish line.

What labels are easily obtained in your area? Are they mostly from one distillery or is it at random?

There are great threads here on most labels available in the U.S. Also, lot's of opinions, pro or con, on each age variation within the label family. Do you also drink rye and is it available in you area?

scratchline
06-11-2008, 09:34
Welcome aboard. I had a similar problem getting to the board when I was in Germany. Have to say that as good as we have it bourbonwise in the USA, I envy you your genever gin in Holland.

Best.

-Mike

Dutchie66
06-11-2008, 10:28
Thanks for the welcome.
@JW.
I wasn't familiar with this website of him but i have his book.

@Mozilla
What you usually can find here at regular liquorstores is Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Four Roses, Wild Turkey and that's it. The better ones have a larger sortment. ( Ex. Click here (http://www.whiskyworld.nl/prices/WWprices_bestanden/sheet003.htm). Also in Germany there are several good liquorstores or online stores. I tasted recently the Old Overholt and i liked it BUT, i like bourbon better :grin:.
But this was just one brand of which i tasted rye so perhaps there are other brand which i like better.

@scratchline
You really should try Ketel 1 (Kettle 1)

mozilla
06-11-2008, 10:39
Bas,
From the list on that website....I really like the Ancient Ancient Age 10yr and the Wild Turkey Rye.

BTW, there is a really good representation of labels on that site.

Dutchie66
06-11-2008, 12:37
Ok, i will try those two and i let you know what i think of them.

fishnbowljoe
06-11-2008, 15:49
Hi Bas, and welcome to SB.com. It's nice to have a person from another country (other than Michigan:slappin: ) join the website. Your point of view and input will be new and interesting. As you have already seen, the people here are always willing to help and give advice. Again, welcome and hope you have some fun. Joe

ACDetroit
06-11-2008, 16:55
Bas, welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay. It's a great place to grow and learn. Looking at the link you posted you can get some great stuff. Enjoy the journey and if you ever need something from this side of the pond let me know!

Cheers!
AC