PDA

View Full Version : Those Aussie 'binge drinkers'!..

TNbourbon
06-15-2008, 12:02
I see, Cam, Scott, et al, that y'all are about to be classified as 'binge drinkers':
http://www.theage.com.au/national/three-drinks-and-youre-out-20080614-2qng.html?page=-1
I think I'd start using a larger wine glass, if I'm going to be limited to fewer than three:rolleyes: ..

camduncan
06-15-2008, 17:14
Our latest govenment is really screwing with us! This is just another classic example. Who the hell considers three standard drinks binge drinking?
As an example, our federal guidelines declare a standard drink as 30 ml of Jim Beam White label at 37% ABV.

The following line really sums it up in my opinion:
"Mr Abbott accused the Federal Government of manufacturing a community frenzy about alcohol."

The whole thing reaks of fear mongering to justify their tax hikes on alcohol.

OldJack
06-16-2008, 17:32
So in the land down under, I guess I would qualify as an absolute lush! :drinking:

jackthewog
06-16-2008, 18:42
Im a 19 year old Australian and find the four beer/three wine 'binge limit' quite amusing. We must be the first country where you can be a designated driver and binge drinker at the same time.
Cheers Jack

ThomasH
06-16-2008, 21:30
If 3-30ml drinks of Beam at 37% get you guys classified as binge drinkers, what would 3 drinks of Bookers get you classified as, Australia's most wanted? It sounds like to government is hungry for more revenue. What an observation: 3 half drinks=binge drinker!

Thomas

ILLfarmboy
06-16-2008, 21:38
Perhaps this is the latest in the revising downward of serving sizes. (not just alcohol).

According to the label on a single 11 oz can of Campbell's condensed soup, it is supposed to feed 2.5 people. Who are they kidding?

I guess I'm a binge eater as well as a binge drinker.

Give me a healthy pour or give me death!

ThomasH
06-16-2008, 21:56
I find the same thing when reading the serving size on the packages of various foods. I think when some of the suggested serving sizes on some of these foods were being developed, the test subject must have been a squirrel!

Thomas

camduncan
06-17-2008, 01:14
3 half drinks=binge drinker!
Thomas

30ml has been the standard measure of spirits served in a bar for as long as I can remember. I much prefer the pours I got in New York - they were 50ml :D:cool: (But then, I wasn't having to consider driving over there... a whole other topic)