PDA

View Full Version : Side by Side - WT 101 Eagle Rare

New2Whiskey
06-25-2008, 07:49
Wild Turkey 101 vs. Eagle Rare Single Barrell

First of all, I'm new. These are my 3 and 4th bourbons. Had Old Grand Dad. And Buffalo Trace. I wish I didn't drink it all. But that's how much I enjoyed it.

WT wins. More "heat" upon the tongue. Or should I say once it was in the month, the heat arrived faster. ER seemed late.

But both don't 'entice' me to drink them like the Buffalo Trace. I wanted a pour every time. My speech is my judge. When the words, "Dang this is good!" constantly flow after enjoying a spirit or beer, then I know I like it.

Unfortunately, I am unable to give descriptive details of leather, oak, and all that jazz. Perhaps I'll learn. But right now, when my mouth utters those words, I know how much I like it.

OldJack
06-25-2008, 08:37
It is all about knowing what you like. I suck at the tasting jargon too- but it sure if fun to try a new bourbon.

Oh, and I'm with you on how good Buffalo Trace is.

spun_cookie
06-25-2008, 09:56
You need to get your hands on a ER 101... and retest... I think you may find the ER to take that round.

If you can, get some Weller 10/107... I thik you may fancy that as well.

New2Whiskey
06-25-2008, 10:16
Nice thing about Bourbon is that I haven't found any I don't like. I purchased 4 and all 4 are "Very Good" or better. Unlike Scotch and Brandy. I have tasted some Brandy I can't stand. I tasted a Scotch I deemed "Fair".

spun_cookie
06-25-2008, 12:09
You have not tried enough.. go get 200 ml of Yellowstone (the new stuff) - you might not like that one :D

In general you are right though, the vast majority are all very drinkable, probably has to do with the nice bourbon rules put into place so long ago...