BTAC 2008 fact sheets

jinenjo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can somebody upload the fact sheets for this years Buffalo Trace Antique Collection 2008?

I'm curious to see how old the WLW is this year. I passed on last year's because 10 (or 11, whatever it was) years seemed too tame for me, and too similar to their regular offerings--at least from what was posted.

Salut!

Can somebody upload the fact sheets for this years Buffalo Trace Antique Collection 2008?

I'm curious to see how old the WLW is this year. I passed on last year's because 10 (or 11, whatever it was) years seemed too tame for me, and too similar to their regular offerings--at least from what was posted.

Salut!

The 2008 WLW is from the same stock bottled as 2007 WLW. Like the barrels dumped last year, the bourbon in these barrels was distilled in the Spring of 1997, came off the still at 130 proof, entered #4 char barrels at 114 proof, and was stored on the 9th floor of Warehouse I.

The 40 barrels dumped for the 2008 WLW clocked in at 125.3 proof. They were 11 years, 2 months old at bottling.

The 2008 WLW is from the same stock bottled as 2007 WLW.

So it's just one year older. That's interesting. Has other BTAC--from one year to the next--been like this before?

So it's just one year older. That's interesting. Has other BTAC--from one year to the next--been like this before?

There was a Stagg that was 16yo with the previous one being 15, but I don't know if they were from the same stock.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the fact sheets for '08 Stagg and '08 Sazerac 18 in PDF form if anyone's interested.

2008 Stagg

Front

September 21, 2008

Dear Friend of Buffalo Trace,

Many thanks for your purchase of George T. Stagg, our uncut and unfiltered Kentucky

Straight Bourbon Whiskey. This bourbon was awarded the 2008 Double Gold Medal at

the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

We hope you and your customers are very pleased with the whiskey contained in these

Mg bottles. Our George T. Stagg bourbon has been produced in response to consumer requests

for a well-aged and barrel strength whiskey. This offering is comprised of barrels more

than 15 years and 6 months old. After years of aging this bourbon is 141.8 proof.

The glass bottle chosen for George T. Stagg is designed to showcase the whiskey’s dark

and rich color. The back label provides a full product description. Every case has been hand bottled and labeled to ensure the highest quality finish. The tissue paper has been added to protect the finished package.

On the reverse side of this letter you’ll see a fact sheet about the barrels selected for this particular release. Hopefully you and your customers will find the intricate details of these particular barrels interesting.

In closing, thank you again for your purchase of this very limited supply of George T. Stagg. If we at Buffalo Trace Distillery can be of any flirther assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at the following numbers or e-mail addresses:

Mark Brown Kris Comstock Websites:

(502) 696-5978 (502) 696-5936 www.buffalotrace.com

mbrown@buffalotrace.com kcomstock@buffalotrace.com www.greatbourbon.com

With best regards,

Mark Brown

President and CEO

Buffalo Trace Distillery

DISTILLING TRADITION SINCE 1787

Back
GEORGE T. STAGG

KENTUCKY STRAIGHT BOURBON WHISKEY

Distiller

Buffalo Trace Distillery, Franklin County, Kentucky

Age Profile

Year of Distillation: Spring of 1993

Release: Fall of 2008

Release Brand Name: George T. Stagg Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Proof for release: 141.8 proof

Recipe

Large Grain: Kentucky Corn; Distillers Grade #1 and #2

Small Grain: Minnesota Rye

Finish Grain: North Dakota Malted Barley

Cooking / Fermentation

Milling Screen: #10

Cook Temperature: 240 degrees Fahrenheit

Water: Kentucky Limestone with Reverse Osmosis

Fermentation: Carbon Steel I Black Iron fermenter

Mash: Sour

Distillation & Aging

Distillation: Double Distilled; beer still and doubler

Proof off still: 135 Proof

Barrel: New, White Oak; #4 Char; Charred for 55 seconds

Barrel Maker: Independent Stave; Lebanon, KY

Barrel Entry Proof: 125 proof

Barrel Size: 53 liquid gallons; 66.25 original proof gallons

Warehouse: Warehouses I & K

Floor: 3rd and 5th

Evaporation loss: 50.07% of the original whiskey lost to evaporation

Bottling

Barrel Selection: 83 hand picked barrels

Filtration: None

Product Age: 15 years and 6 months old at bottling

Tasting comment: “Dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans and mature oakâ€

2008 William Larue Weller

Front

August 18th 2008

Many thanks for your purchase of William Lane Weller, our uncut and unfiltered

Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. This wheat-recipe bourbon was awarded a Gold

Medal at the 2008 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

We hope you and your customers are very pleased with the whiskey contained in these o Sb bottles. In distilling and aging these products, we have attempted to make some of the

finest American whiskey ever made.

Our William Larue Weller bourbon has been produced in response to consumer requests

for more well-aged mid barrel strength whiskey. We filled these particular barrels at 114.0 proof back in 1997, but after years of aging the whiskey is now 125.3 proof.

The glass bottle chosen for William Larue Weller is designed to showcase the whiskey’s dark and rich color. The back label provides a full product description. Every case has been hand bottled and labeled to ensure the highest quality finish. The tissue paper has been added to protect the finished package.

On the reverse side of this letter you’ll see a fhct sheet about the barrels selected for this particular release. Hopefully you and your customers will find the intricate details of these particular barrels interesting.

In closing, thank you again for your purchase of this very limited supply of William Lame Weller. If we at Buffalo Trace Distillery can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to make contact at the following numbers or e-mail addresses:

mbrown@buffalofrace.com kcomstock@buffalotrace.com www.greatbourbon.com

With best regards,

Mark Brown

President and CEO

Buffalo Trace Distillery

Back

WILLIAM LARUE WELLER

Distiller

Buffalo Trace Distillery, Franklin County; Kentucky

Age Profile

Year of Distillation: Spring of 1997

Release Brand name: William Larue Weller Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Proof for release: 125.3 proof

Recipe

Small Grain: North Dakota Wheat

Cooking / Fermentation

Milling screen: #10

Fermentation: Carbon Steel / Black Iron fermenter

Mash: Sow

Distillation & Aging

Proof off still: 130 Proof

Barrel maker: Independent Stave; Lebanon KY

Barrel entry proof: 114 proof

Barrel size: 53 liquid gallons; 66.25 Original Proof Gallons

Warehouse: Warehouse I

Floor: 9th

Evaporation loss: 52.05 % of the original whiskey lost to evaporation

Bottling

Barrel selection: 40 hand picked barrels

Product Age: 11 years and 2 months old at bottling

Tasting comment: “Dried fruit sweetness, soft vanilla and cinnamon spicesâ€

2008 Thomas H Handy Sazerac

Front

August 22nd 2008

Many thanks for your purchase of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac, our uncut and unfiltered Straight Rye Whiskey. This whiskey was awarded the “Double Gold Medal†at the 2008

San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

We hope you and your customers enjoy the unique whiskey contained in these bottles.

Our Thomas H Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey has been produced m response to consumer requests for more well-aged and barrel strength whiskey. This offering is

comprised of barrels over 6 years and 5 months old. We filled these barrels at 125 proof

back in 2002, but after years of aging the whiskey is now 127.5 proof.

The glass bottle chosen for Thomas H. Handy Sazerac is designed to showcase the whiskey’s dark and rich color. The back label provides a full product story and description. Every case has been hand bottled and labeled to ensure the highest quality finish. The tissue paper has been added to protect the finished package.

On the reverse side of this letter you’ll see a fact sheet about the barrels selected for this particular release. Hopefully you and your customers will find the intricate details of these particular barrels interesting.

Thank you again for your purchase of this very limited supply of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac. If we at Buffalo Trace Distillery can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to make contact at the following numbers or e-mail addresses:

mbrown@buffalotrace.com kcomstoek@buffalotrace.com www.greatbourbon.com

With best regards,

Mark Brown

President and CEO

Buffalo Trace Distillery

EDUCATION

PAYS

Back

THOMAS H. HANDY SAZERAC STRAIGHT RYE WHISKEY

Distiller

Age Profile

Year of Distillation: Spring of 2002

Release Brand name: Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey

Proof for release: 127.5 proof

Recipe

Large Grain: Minnesota Rye

Small Grain: Kentucky Corn; Distillers Grade #1 and #2

Cooking I Fermentation

Fermentation: Carbon Steel I Black hon fermenter

Distillation & Aging

Barrel entry proof: 125 proof

Warehouse: Warehouse M

Floor: 5tb Floor

Evaporation loss: 30.08% of the original whiskey lost to evaporation

Bottling

Barrel selection: 22 hand picked barrels

Product Age: 6 years and 5 months old at bottling

Tasting comment: “Christmas cakeâ€

2008 Sazerac 18

Front

September 4, 2008

Many thanks for your purchase of Sazerac 18 Year Old Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey.

This whiskey was named ‘Rye Whiskey of the Year†in Jim Murray’s 2006 Whisky Bible and “2005 American Whiskey of the Year†by Malt Advocate Magazine. We hope you and your customers are very pleased with the whiskey contained in these bottles. In distilling and aging this product we have attempted to make some of the finest

American whiskey ever made.

The glass bottle we’ve chosen showcases the whiskey’s deep and rich colors with a classy look. The, back label even provide a/full product history and description. Every bottle has been hand bottled and labeled to ensure the highest quality finish. The tissue paper has been added to protecting finished package.

On the reverse side of this letter you’ll see &fact sheet about the barrels selected for this year’s vintage. Hopefully you and your customers will find the intricate details of these particular barrels as interesting and compelling as we do.

In closing, thank you again for your purchase of this very limited supply of Sazerac Rye 18 Year Old. If we, at the Buffalo Trace Distillery, can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to make contact at the following numbers or e-mail addresses:

mbrown@buffalotrace.com kcomstock@buffalotrace.com www.greatbourbon.com

With best regards,

Mark Brown

President and CEO

Buffalo Trace Distillery

EDUCATION

PAYS

Back

SAZERAC 18 YEAR OLD

KENTUCKY STRAIGHT RYE WHISKEY

Distiller

Age Profile

Year of Distillation: Spring of 1985

Release Brand name: Sazerac 18 Year Old Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey

Proof for release: 90 proof

Recipe

Large Grain: Minnesota Rye

Small Grain: Kentucky Corn; Distillers Grade #1 and #2

Cooking I Fermentation

Distillation & Aging

Warehouse: Warehouse K

Evaporation loss: 54.08 % of the original whiskey lost to evaporation

Bottling

Barrel selection: 28 hand picked barrels

Filtration: Chill

Tasting comment: “Spicy aroma with very mature notes of oak and molassesâ€

2008 Eagle Rare 17

Front

September 8, 2008

Many thanks for your purchase of our Eagle Rare 17 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

We hope you and your customers are very pleased with the whiskey contained in these bottles. In distilling and aging these products, we have attempted to make some of the finest American whiskey ever made. The glass bottle we’ve chosen showcases the whiskey’s gorgeous amber color with a classy look. The back label provides a full product description for you to read while enjoying a taste. Every bottle has been hand bottled and labeled to ensure the highest quality finish. The tissue paper has been added to protect the finished package.

On the reverse side of this letter, please find a detailed fact sheet detailing on the barrels selected for this year’s vintage. Hopefully you and your customers will find the intricate details of these particular barrels as interesting and compelling as we do.

In closing, thank you again for your purchase of this very limited supply of Eagle Rare 17 Year Old. If we, at Buffalo Trace Distillery can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to make contact at the following numbers or e-mail addresses:

Mark Brown Kris Comstoek Websites:

mbrownbuffalotrace.com kcomstoeka buffalotrace.com w w.greatbourbon.com

With best regards.

Mark Brown

President and CEO

Buffalo Trace Distillery

EDUCA11ON

PAYS

Back

EAGLE RARE 17 YEAR OLD

Distiller

Age Profile

Year of Distillation: Spring of 1991

Release Brand name: Eagle Rare 17 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Proof for release: 90.0 proof

Recipe

Small Grain: Minnesota Rye

Finish Grain: North Dakota Distillers Malted Barley

Cooking / Fermentation

Distillation & Aging

Warehouse: Warehouses K, Q, H, and I. Mostly on the l and 2’†floors.

Evaporation loss: 67.28 % of the original whiskey lost to evaporation

Bottling

Barrel selection: 62 hand picked barrels

Filtration: Chill

Product Age: 17 Years old at bottling

Tasting comment: “Almonds, caramel and leather notes with a dry finishâ€

His one stop shopping PDF works better than mine.

Thanks for the info, Timothy.

• 2 months later...

I was looking over these today and noticed there were 83 GTS barrels selected and 40 WLW barrels. Both lost an Angel's share of roughly 50% and both were bottled at barrel strength.

Here is my question. Does this mean there was over twice as many bottles of GTS released?

If two trains leave New York going 60 miles per hour...

Each barrel contained roughly 25 gallons and they were bottled without dilution so, yeah, just over twice as many bottles.

In 2004, there were only 40 barrels of Stagg released. There were two releases in 2005, a total of 175 barrels. In 06 it was 89, then 94 in 07, so 08 is a step back at just 83.

In 05, WLW was 41 barrels, then just 22 in 06 and 34 in 07, so 08 was a nice increase to 40.

How much they do is partly based on how much they predict they can sell, but also simply on how much suitable whiskey they have available.

What were the barrel counts for the 08 THHS, ER and SAZ?

With such limited bottlings of each of these, I feel privileged to be able to have a 7 bottles from the BTAC.

Funny my sheet says 51.94% lost...

Interestingly my 2001 ER17 sheet doesn't give a barrel count, but gives a bottle count of 3,600...

I got my numbers from the factsheet posted on this thread.

It's interesting to note what changes from year to year and what does not. Saz, for example, is always 28 barrels. Eagle Rare took a big jump this year, from 33 to 62. It's also interesting that Stagg is the biggest BTAC by far, yet always seems to be the hardest to get.

One thing I noticed about the fact sheets is...

Almost nothing has changed within their distilling process since, at least, 1985. At least that their willing to put on paper. Every sheet had almost identical variables in certain catagories. They lead us to believe that not one thing has changed in all that time. Were they using reverse ossmosis back then? Barrels always the same char and for the same amount of time. Always distill to 135(except for WLW). Is the assumption that nothing has changed correct? Seems funny they don't mention the yeast.

The sheet for WLW shows that BT was distilling wheated bourbon before they owned a label for which to bottle it. Seems more than a bit interesting to me.

What was the rye destined for, originally? Was it Cream of Ky? I don't remember COK being available in the late 80's. Was there some other label that was available for AA to put it in?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.