BTAC 2008 fact sheets

jinenjo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Up until a few years ago, Buffalo Trace was pretty big in the contract distilling business. They are a big distillery with plenty of capacity. As pointed out in the Sazerac-Constellation sale thread, the distillery itself isn't running at capacity, even now, but the warehouses are full and the bottling house is overtaxed. So even after they stopped selling bulk and stopped doing contract jobs that required maturation, if somebody (another producer, for example) needed some white dog that was easily accomplished. There were some times in there when Stitzel-Weller was running intermittently, or during the transition from Stitzel to Bernheim, when United/Diageo bought wheated bourbon white dog from BT. Does that mean some whiskey believed to be SW is really BT? Yeah, it does, but when they were using whiskey from both distilleries they undoubtedly mixed it together, so you might get something believed to be SW that is partially, but not entirely, BT.

What was the rye destined for, originally? Was it Cream of Ky? I don't remember COK being available in the late 80's.

This is what I've been wondering. Did any of this rye white dog ever hit the shelves? As what?

I believe they were making rye all along, not for any brands marketed by Sazerac, but for non-distiller producers. They probably also used it in their blends. They were making rye about two days a year back then, now they're up to four or five.

In 2003, Mark Brown told me that the original Saz 18 was a batch of Cream of Kentucky made in 1981, that they had lost in inventory. I don't know how long that cache lasted but the Saz release is never very big and always 28 barrels, so I'm sure that represents what they have in the pipeline that will allow them to sustain the brand at at least that level.

Now I'm confused...Cream of Kentucky was advertised as a 90 proof straight bourbon in the late 1930s. When did it become a rye?

So far as contract distilling goes, I think BT has done it all. Jim Murray has written that Buffalo Trace did some wheated bourbon distillation for pre-Diageo UD, perhaps in the interim between Stitz and Bernheim. Murray also wrote that it was not uncommon at all for the Wild Turkey distillery to augment their stocks with BT whiskey when it was necessary to buy in.

Cream was, I believe, a "family" of brands that included bourbon, rye, possibly blends, etc. One thing we forget is that a lot of the rye made by various distilleries is used as a component in their blends and, in some cases, goes to Canada (along with bourbon) for use in their blends too.

Apparently, according to Mark Brown, Cream had its own DSP.

One thing we forget is that a lot of the rye made by various distilleries is used as a component in their blends and, in some cases, goes to Canada (along with bourbon) for use in their blends too.

I can see your next blog entry now: "Rye: The True Backbone Of American Spirits"

I'm joking, but yet somehow I don't think that's too far from the truth....there's at least a small percentage of rye in just about every American spirit except for rum and wheated bourbon....

• 3 weeks later...

Found a bottle of ER17 for less than $60 in NoVa! Sorry, I just had to tell someone and my wife was less than impressed.:lol:

Very nice find.

I found some ER 17 from 2006. It was hiding in with the 08 batch. It was $80 though.

Apparently, according to Mark Brown, Cream had its own DSP.

It had it's own DSP while being made at DSP 113?

This is a fascinating subject.

It had it's own DSP while being made at DSP 113?

This is a fascinating subject.

That's not really all that surprising, I wouldn't think. They were part of the Schenley Empire at the time, it seems there was quite a bit of cross distilling done by that group, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were capable of operating under multiple DSPs, much like HH could do now, Bernhiem being both DSP 1 and DSP 2, IIRC.

Well, the only thing I can come up with would be...that AA had a DSP set up for their light whisky still, later used for Rain.

Does anyone have the Spring 05 info sheets? Or really 2000-2005.

The others are on the site in various places.

Does anyone have the Spring 05 info sheets? Or really 2000-2005.

The others are on the site in various places.

The only old one I have is 2001 ER17...

The only old one I have is 2001 ER17...

We might need a BTAC thread that holds all of the data sheets that can be added to as needed.

Any thoughts?

We might need a BTAC thread that holds all of the data sheets that can be added to as needed.

Any thoughts?

i second the motion.

Something like this?............

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.