Do you sometimes just plain enjoy a good old fashion Macro Beer better then anything

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well Last night I was drinking Reading beer which was brought back after all these years by a couple of People taking a chance and I drank some Narragansett which also returned the same way back a couple of years ago and I have many kinds and types of beer on hand yet for me there are times when nothing but one of eiither of these two or a Iron City will Do.

There something about a Old Time regular macro style of beer that just hits the spot and I find more than offten I am going for one of them instead of my fancer beer! I am wondering am I one of few or is this something very common today with there being so few good Macro beers around anymore, Back when I was young there were so many choices. So I wanted to pick your Brains about this.

Dave Z

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

I enjoy a good craft brew, right now I have Troegs Hopback Amber in the kegerator at home. However, there are certain times when I need a ice cold Bud in the can.

Now matter how many premium beers I enjoy, and I enjoy a lot of them, the ice cold can of Bud will never be replaced.

the ice cold can of Bud will never be replaced.

Yeah, I cannot relate to that sentiment at all.

However, if you said, "the ice cold bottle of Budweiser Budvar will never be replaced", I might be able to feel you a bit, despite it being a lager and all.

Back when I was drinking on an almost daily basis, I would occasionally take a blue-collar break. During one such period I resorted to drinking a bottle of Bud along with a generous pour of Evan Williams. It was pleasant to rediscover the pleasure of drinking products that I could drink without worrying that I should be recording tasting notes.

Recently I tried the fairly new Michelob Pale Ale. To my taste it's either an excellent, well-hopped macro, or a mediocre micro -- neither fish nor fowl as my old professor used to say. I probably won't buy it again.

Even so, I probably won't be able to resist trying the Bud American Ale.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Back when I was drinking on an almost daily basis, I would occasionally take a blue-collar break. During one such period I resorted to drinking a bottle of Bud along with a generous pour of Evan Williams. It was pleasant to rediscover the pleasure of drinking products that I could drink without worrying that I should be recording tasting notes.

Recently I tried the fairly new Michelob Pale Ale. To my taste it's either an excellent, well-hopped macro, or a mediocre micro -- neither fish nor fowl as my old professor used to say. I probably won't buy it again.

Even so, I probably won't be able to resist trying the Bud American Ale.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave the Bud American Ale is a very Nice Ale! I was shocked at how nice it was as I do not Drink Budweiser but The day I got it I was at my Beer Distrubers and The Baseball Hall of Fame Player Richie Ashburns son John works for a large beer Distriibuter that sells Bud in Norristown Pa and he was such a Nice Guy giving Samples of Bud American Ale and a Hot Dog and I told him about meeting his dad. When I went in I bought a case as the sample He gave me tasted very Good! Give it a try!

Dave Z

Beer Its Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

Well, I can enjoy the plain old "macro" beers, very much. I still occasionally buy Bud and right now I have whatever's left of a six-pack of Michelob. I enjoy Yuengling very much, too.

Tim

My friends often bring macro beers over when we have our summer parties and I've found that the leftovers work great for catching slugs and as a surfactant in my pump sprayer for weed killers that require a wetting agent.

I did get a small sample of the Bud American Ale and the flavor profile favors the original Samuel Adams.

When I do drink beer, my favorite is Killians Red. It is a little more potent than some of the other regular beers but has a great taste!

Thomas

yuengling lager is about as macro as i can go...but i admit, i don't mind a basic Miller ... and when i want something light and thin with a touch of flavor, i might accept a free Budweiser or Coors (no lights!):rolleyes:

give me a basic hoppy sam adams, sierra nevada any day

In my case? Never.

I do like a beer now and then, but I drink much stronger stuff like Stone Pale Ale. I really like Double IPA's and beers like Pliny the Elder.

On a trip back east I had a Harpoon Leviathan IPA that I liked, as well as a Harpoon Winter Warmer. I did have a Yeungling, which is something I can't get on the west coast, and I thought it was ok even though it was much lighter than what I usually drink.

The other "lighter" beer I like is Genesee Cream Ale, but that's not macro either. Bud Miller or Coors? Never drink 'em. Used to, can't stand them anymore.

Joel

I had a FOSTER's a few days ago. Amazining, it seemed to disappear after taking the glass to my mouth only 3 times.

Whereas, all my crafts beers, I linger. I think. I admire. I respect. And I enjoy.

I enjoyed the FOSTERS. But, nothing compares to craft brews I've been drinking for the past year. I have similar sentiments regarding IPAs. I find that style to be my favorite. And immediately under imperial stouts. I'm just perplexed at times.

Speaking of Stone and Pliny, those are 2 I am unable to ever get my hands on in Illinois. I believe my store told me Stone does not distribute to Illinois. I have to do more searches about Pliny.

I had a FOSTER's a few days ago. Amazining, it seemed to disappear after taking the glass to my mouth only 3 times.

Whereas, all my crafts beers, I linger. I think. I admire. I respect. And I enjoy.

I enjoyed the FOSTERS. But, nothing compares to craft brews I've been drinking for the past year. I have similar sentiments regarding IPAs. I find that style to be my favorite. And immediately under imperial stouts. I'm just perplexed at times.

Speaking of Stone and Pliny, those are 2 I am unable to ever get my hands on in Illinois. I believe my store told me Stone does not distribute to Illinois. I have to do more searches about Pliny.

Based on this information, they are right. How close are you to Indiana?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Last Night I just wanted to drink more then one or two Beers so I brought out an old Favorite Iron City Lager. For all those who say it is Losey it may have been way back in the older days but since they have rebuilt the brewery it is a very nice Smooth Lager Beer, sat and drank 4 in no time without any bad effects I like to just sit sometimes and drink a bunch and it is a very refreshing Beer and even though its price has gone up hard to beat a 30 pack for $23.99! I hate the Ice Beers as don't want beer just because it is cheap and High Alcohol with No flavor. Iron City is very Flavorful!

Dave Z

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

I can't say "never", but I can't remember the last time. It's generally at some sort of event where there are no other options. I won't do it if given a choice, and at restaurants I'll drink iced tea first.

Last night I enjoyed my Favorite Macro Brewed Beer the new Narragansett it is Contract made for Narragansett Brewing By High falls and it is one awesome regular beer! If you have ever looked on the Beer Advocate You will see it is rated A Or A+! It is hard to get I get a friend that lives in NY to get me 4 cases about two times a year from CT. I gave one to a friend the other week and he said that it took him back to the really Good Macro made beers of years ago!

Dave Z

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

I was a beer snob long before I was a whiskey snob, but there's something about beer in the can -- my favorite is Ballantine Ale, but you might catch me with a PBR....

Short answer...no. At least not American macro brews. I simply do not enjoy adjunct beers. The Budweiser American Ale is passable, but like all Bud products attempt to appeal to the broadest of audiences, AKA: Bland.

Rarely if ever do I enjoy a macro beer and it is because of too much adjunct as Jeff says (use of corn, rice, unmalted barley or other cereals which are not barley malt). The other day on a plane I had a MGD for the first time in 10 years. I admired the technical ability to make such a clean-tasting beer but the adjunct level was high, in my opinion, and it ruined the taste for me. Plus the hops were kind of minimal.

I'm with Dave on the new Narragansett but we must remember it uses a very respectable malt spec, apparently derived from the original recipe. The hop rate is low but the yeast background is very appetizing. It really is a semi-craft beer now (IMO). So is Ballantine XXX, just had a can bought in New York a while back, excellent.

So the best of the old school is very good, yes, and I enjoy those. Wish we saw more of them (e.g., beers such as Andeker was, Horlacher Perfection, Prior Double Dark, Ballantine IPA, Augsburger, 1970's Michelob - or 1890's - and well I can go on).

Gary

I was a beer snob long before I was a whiskey snob, but there's something about beer in the can -- my favorite is Ballantine Ale, but you might catch me with a PBR....

So the best of the old school is very good, yes, and I enjoy those. Wish we saw more of them (e.g., beers such as Andeker was, Horlacher Perfection, Prior Double Dark, Ballantine IPA, Augsburger, 1970's Michelob - or 1890's - and well I can go on).

This was a Pabst brand. Jim Robertson praised it for its fine malt and hop flavor and said it was styled along German lines. He noted its high nalt character and fine bubble carbonation. I recall the bottle being attractive too.

Gary

Rarely if ever do I enjoy a macro beer and it is because of too much adjunct as Jeff says (use of corn, rice, unmalted barley or other cereals which are not barley malt). The other day on a plane I had a MGD for the first time in 10 years. I admired the technical ability to make such a clean-tasting beer but the adjunct level was high, in my opinion, and it ruined the taste for me. Plus the hops were kind of minimal.

Gary

I rarely if ever will drink a macro...just don't like the taste but out of politeness if offered I'll drink one at a party.

as far as adjuncts, what's so bad about them? Granted they are cheaper and that may be some of the reason they're in American lagers but it may also be because it delivers the taste the brewer desires, light and clean. I seriously doubt any of us have a discerning enough palate to taste the rice or the corn as they're used precisely because they add little or nothing to the flavor profile and function mainly as a sugar source.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but some seem to think the German beer purity law was the 11th commandment. It's been around 500 years...brewing with whatever was handy, from wheat, to barley, to corn, to sorghum has been around for thousands....makes you wonder the validity of the term "adjunct".

If you like Belgian beers many of them use adjuncts in the form of "candy sugar" derived from beets or even corn sugar. For me the final verdict lies in the taste, not the recipe.

I rarely if ever will drink a macro...just don't like the taste but out of politeness if offered I'll drink one at a party.

as far as adjuncts, what's so bad about them? Granted they are cheaper and that may be some of the reason they're in American lagers but it may also be because it delivers the taste the brewer desires, light and clean. I seriously doubt any of us have a discerning enough palate to taste the rice or the corn as they're used precisely because they add little or nothing to the flavor profile and function mainly as a sugar source.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but some seem to think the German beer purity law was the 11th commandment. It's been around 500 years...brewing with whatever was handy, from wheat, to barley, to corn, to sorghum has been around for thousands....makes you wonder the validity of the term "adjunct".

If you like Belgian beers many of them use adjuncts in the form of "candy sugar" derived from beets or even corn sugar. For me the final verdict lies in the taste, not the recipe.

There's nothing inherently bad about adjuncts. When used as an additional ingredient to a "normal" recipe, they can add complexity or other interesting character to the beer. Pumpkin comes to mind this time of year. My problem with American macro brewers is that they use the rice or corn as a cheap substitute for malt, with the intention of making not a better beer, but rather a beer that is the least offensive to the largest number of people; IOW, bland IMHO. Your example of Belgian candi sugar is not, in my opinion, similar to what American brewers are after. Belgian ales need the extra 100% fermentables that candi sugar provides to dry out the high gravity wort that would otherwise under-attenuate and leave the finished beer too sweet. Paradoxical for sure; more sugar = drier beer, but functional and appropriate for the style. Hey, drink what you like, that's my opinion, but adjunct use is a valid criticism of the modern day macro brewer.

:toast:

There's nothing inherently bad about adjuncts. When used as an additional ingredient to a "normal" recipe, they can add complexity or other interesting character to the beer. Pumpkin comes to mind this time of year. My problem with American macro brewers is that they use the rice or corn as a cheap substitute for malt, with the intention of making not a better beer, but rather a beer that is the least offensive to the largest number of people; IOW, bland IMHO. Your example of Belgian candi sugar is not, in my opinion, similar to what American brewers are after. Belgian ales need the extra 100% fermentables that candi sugar provides to dry out the high gravity wort that would otherwise under-attenuate and leave the finished beer too sweet. Paradoxical for sure; more sugar = drier beer, but functional and appropriate for the style. Hey, drink what you like, that's my opinion, but adjunct use is a valid criticism of the modern day macro brewer.

:toast:

I drink no macros at all, I'm more into everything from IPA's to all malt lagers to Belgian tripels, saison, and lambics so it's weird to find myself

somewhat "defending" them. I once thought like you did that the reason for adjuncts was only cost savings. While that may be part of it a friend of mine that works for AB and is a pretty upstanding guy claims that the use of adjunct in bud (rice) has as much if not more to do with a desired body and lightness of taste. He may just be drinking the AB Kool-aid but I'm inclined to give him some credit and like so many things the truth may lie in the middle.

You're dead on about the Belgian use of candi sugar but try telling that to a German brewer....I guarantee you they would consider candi sugar both an adjunct and a sacrilege. Pretty sure I remember reading some of the better known Belgians use corn as well...Not positive but think Chimay was among them.

I know what you mean by adjunct....and I agree about the goal being to make a beer that appeals to the lowest common denominator...much like wonder bread or velveeta....I guess I was just trying to make the point that there is no one right or pure way to brew and the history of brewing

has many and varied ingredients in the mix. If the sole purpose of the adjunct is to save a buck at the expense of taste, them I'm with you 100%. But as Bud doesn't really taste like a German lager or a pilsner and I don't believe they want it to there may be some validity to the claim that the adjunct is there for another reason other than cost cutting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.