JD Black Vs. Green

Buffalo Bill
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Palletized is the term used for this type of warehousing. It was an experiment at JB and is being phased out per my understanding. I can say with absolute certainty that JB has mostly rickhouse storage, buildings with average of seven to nine floors, 3 barrels high each floor. Old school storage methods, metal sheeted buildings that are pretty much at the mercy of the elements.

Thanks for educating me.

Proof and age is correct about the palletized warehouses at Jim Beam, an experiment that successfully proved palletized warehouses -- at least as Beam was doing them -- don't work. I don't know if they plan to decommission the ones they have but the new warehouses they're building are rackhouses, not palletized warehouses. They probably haven't built a new palletized one in 15 years or so.

JD Green is a profile, as is JD Old No. 7, not a set of specifications. But safe to say the Green profile is less mature than the Old No. 7. It's always funny when people get all worked up about JD Green because the most true thing you can say about JD Green is that it's not good enough to be JD Old No. 7.

I don't know if Proof and Age was talking about the JD or JB distillery, but I don't thimk either have 200 warehouses. Back in 2005, while touring JD, They had 70 warehouses and number 71 was being built. The tour guuide said they average construction of one new warehouse each year to keep ahead of brand growth!

Thomas

I think the most recent number I've heard for JD is 75 warehouses. That has to be the most. Beam might come close if you include the Maker's Mark warehouses. Next would come Sazerac and Heaven Hill, though I'm not sure which of them has more. All four of them together might exceed 200.

The warehouses at Jack Daniel's are interesting because except for two or three, they aren't on the main 'campus' and tourists never see them. The dumping and bottling operation, except for the single barrel, is similarly off-campus.

The last time I was there they had recently dug trenches and berms around all of the warehouses, a precaution against fires. They did them very roughly. Everything off-campus at JD is very utilitarian and ugly, unlike the charming and beautiful campus.

The only JD warehouse I was in was the one out front of the distillery, Which I think is the smallest and oldest one. I know JB has a lot of warehouses in different locations in addition to Makers Marks warehouses. I'm sure that fire prevention measures have come much more to the forefront since 1996 and the fires at HH, Beam and WT!

Thomas

Good term, off campus, I had off premises in mind but that's not as colorful. The work horse part of JD is not for public view but it's not a big secret either.

Just after making my last post the History Channel started a program on whisky and the first distillery visited was Jack Daniels. The warehouse manager stated in the interview they had 77 rack houses and racked about 1000 barrels a day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.