Corsair Artisan Distillery (Bowling Green, KY)

kickert
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I too, am looking forward to trying your products when you get Illinois distribution. I look forward to trying both your aged and unaged rye.

• 2 months later...

Hey Folks,

It is has been 2.5 months since I first found out about Corsair and visited the distillery. Now, I am officially working with them. My first day was on Monday and I work a pretty sparatic schedule. Since it really is still a start up, there are plenty of random jobs I get pulled into: everything from bottling our spirits to cleaning the gin basket to keeping an eye on the still to doing tastings and tours.

We just got distribution in Kentucky and are in the process of fulfilling an order for our TN distributor. Right now Absinthe, Spiced Rum, Vanilla Bean Vodka and Gin are our major products, but there is more rye whiskey in the works and the bourbon recipe is being tweaked.

If you are ever in the area, let me know and I will show you around.

A couple questions, if you'll indulge.

You said another rye is in the works, are you no longer making the unaged rye?

For the unaged rye whiskey, since you call it whiskey, I assume it is stored in oak for some period? If so, for how long?

Also, is Corsair the only micro in Kentucky? I don't know of any others.

Lastly, I'm also interested in Absinthe, what herbs are you using?

Thanks.

A couple questions, if you'll indulge.

You said another rye is in the works, are you no longer making the unaged rye?

For the unaged rye whiskey, since you call it whiskey, I assume it is stored in oak for some period? If so, for how long?

Also, is Corsair the only micro in Kentucky? I don't know of any others.

Lastly, I'm also interested in Absinthe, what herbs are you using?

Thanks.

I will answer what I know.

Concerning the rye: when I first visited in January, they had a rye whiskey run that I did not try, I don't know much about that one. Just recently they did their second run. As far as I know, both runs are the 100% malted rye (I know that is the case for the second run). I don't know the answer concerning aging the Rye in oak. Honestly, I know the least about the rye because I haven't worked with it directly yet.

Corsair is not the only micro in KY. There are two in Lexington. There is Alltech Brewing and Distilling and Barrel House Distilling Co. The big organization for micros is Bill Owen's ADI - American Distilling Institute. Their website is www.distilling.com and there you can find a list of all micro distilleries. There are also some great resources there. I am reading Bill's book right now and learning a ton about the craft.

I don't know the full mix on the Absinthe. It is a red absinthe. The color comes from hibiscus and then of course there is the wormwood. I don't much else.

Thanks for the questions.

I have not seen any discussion on warehousing or yeast.

Is there a facility to store barrels there at the site?

What type or types of yeast are y'all working with. Are you employing a sweet or sour mash? Yeasting back or dipping back? Jug yeast or dry? What type of proof are you pulling off the still? How about the second still? Why no doubler or thumper?

Thanks for your comments.

I have not seen any discussion on warehousing or yeast.

Is there a facility to store barrels there at the site?

What type or types of yeast are y'all working with. Are you employing a sweet or sour mash? Yeasting back or dipping back? Jug yeast or dry? What type of proof are you pulling off the still? How about the second still? Why no doubler or thumper?

Thanks for your comments.

Right now the distillery is set up for just that... distilling. There is no warehouse yet and the mash is being made at a micro brewery and then brought in. The plan right now is to get the unaged spirits out the door so more focus can go to the aged whiskey. We are right on the cusp of that point now.

As for yeast and proof, I don't have the answers on that.

Right now we are using the new Vendome still exclusively. It is a pot still with 5 (I think) plates in the column that can be turned on or off. There is a bypass that allows the distillate to run through the gin head if we are doing a vapor infusion. The smaller still is 50 gallons and meets our needs right now.

The second still is a pre-pro gin still that has a 2-300 gall capacity (sorry I don't have the exact numbers). Once production gets up this still will be used for the first pass and then the smaller still will be used for the second pass.

I would have to think that if y'all are not sending, over to the brewer...distillery slop, then they must be making a sweet mash?

And...was that 2,300 gallons....or two 300 gallon pots?

I would have to think that if y'all are not sending, over to the brewer...distillery slop, then they must be making a sweet mash?

And...was that 2,300 gallons....or two 300 gallon pots?

I am pretty sure it is sweet mash.

As for pots... we have two stills. The first is a custom made Vendome pot with column. It is 50 gallons. The second is the pre-prohibition gin still (Saw some action in Canada and was later rescued from a barn). Its capacity is between 200 and 300 gallons, I just can't remember the exact numbers.

Just give us a shout and we would be more than willing to show you around and let you try the spirits we have on hand. Saturdays are usually the best days because staffing during the week can be a bit sparatic.

-bk

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to throw out a "personal" invitation. If you all are in the area (coming up I-65 on your way to Bardstown?) and want to stop by for a personal tour of the distillery and a tasting, just let me know and we can arrange it.

-bk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.