Garrison Brothers Distillery

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I, too, am intrigued by this heart-of-the-heart idea. It was initiated by Donnis Todd, one of Dan's distillery hands, who is also the person executing it. They taste, and otherwise analyze and document each gallon of white dog before they add it to the cistern tank. Donnis noticed something he particularly liked about the spirit coming off at the very center of the run.

One unusual facet of their operation in Hye is the way every single thing they do is thoroughly documented. so mistakes can be corrected and happy accidents can be duplicated.

• 7 months later...

Here's the latest news from Garrison:

"Our flagship bourbon, Garrison Brothers’ Texas Straight Bourbon

Whiskeyâ„¢, will be on liquor store shelves throughout Blanco and

Gillespie Counties on Wednesday, November 3rd."

• 2 months later...

"Want to try something no one in Texas has ever done before? In February,

we’ll be bottling our largest bourbon release ever – more than 80 barrels of

our straight bourbon will be emptied into stainless steel tanks, married with

crisp, clean rainwater, proofed and entered into bottles. Each hand-numbered

and signed bottle is sealed with a cork, wrapped in deerskin lace, and then

dipped in hot wax. These bottles will be sold throughout the Hill Country and

a few hundred cases will be distributed to fine liquor stores, bars and

restaurants in the big cities. (We can’t say where just yet.)

We thought a few of you might like to come to Hye and give us a hand.

We’ll be bottling from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday thru Friday, the weeks of

February 7, February 14 and February 28. We need 8 people each day and

already have about 40 sensational volunteers. We provide meals, beverages

and plenty of bourbon throughout the day. (In fact, tradition holds that we

celebrate with a little “quality control†sample every time we finish 200

bottles.)"

More info at the GB blog.

Apparently they have already filled the 40 slots available. Was anyone from SB.com lucky enough to sign up?

I was thinking about doing this, but I saw this morning that all the slots have already been filled. Man, that was fast!!!

I was thinking about doing this, but I saw this morning that all the slots have already been filled. Man, that was fast!!!

GB plans to do another of these later this year - maybe

you could sign up for their mailing list if you aren't already.

GB plans to do another of these later this year - maybe

you could sign up for their mailing list if you aren't already.

Thanks for the heads up, silverfish. I guess when they annouce this again I will have to be ready to pull the trigger!

Like many micro-distilleries, Garrison Brothers has a supporters 'club' called The Old 300. I suspect they got first crack at this.

Meanwhile, I need to think hard about a business model in which people will work for me for free.

• 1 month later...
I, too, am intrigued by this heart-of-the-heart idea. It was initiated by Donnis Todd, one of Dan's distillery hands, who is also the person executing it. They taste, and otherwise analyze and document each gallon of white dog before they add it to the cistern tank. Donnis noticed something he particularly liked about the spirit coming off at the very center of the run.

isn't taking a middle "cut" of the raw distillate a common practice? during distillation there are higher and lower alcohols that evaporate before and after the "true" spirit is evaporated and harvested. these are commonly referred to as heads and tails i believe. Macallan and Corzo are two big brands that come to mind that brag of taking the finest cut of the distilled product.

Sure, but how much middle is middle? This, as I said, is the heart of the heart. It's probably not an original idea. But there has be be a difference between, say a middle that is the middle 80% of the run, and a middle that is the middle 5% of the run. But, yes, anybody who is pot distilling is taking a 'center cut.'

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.