The Fine, Aged Rum Thread

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll post on a spirit that seems, at least to me, to be a natural progression in spirits taste from bourbon, and that is aged rum.

One of my favorites has been Angostura 12-year (Trinidad), but I recently purchased a bottle of Mount Gay Extra Old (Barbados)-- a collection of batches aged up to 17 years. I got it at the State Store for $45/btl.

IMHO, this is one of the better aged rums. While it does still have a gentle burn to it (which most bourbon drinkers should be accustomed to), it is quite refined, with ample notes of vanilla, caramel, nutmeg, and allspice. There is also definitely a hint of butter toffee in the nose-- in fact, the nose of this rum has a unique "buttery" quality that I haven't experienced in any other rum as of yet.

I have gotten into Rums a little and found a few that I enjoy very much. My favorite at this point is Ron Zacapa Centenario Reserva, followed closely by Zaya Gran Reserva. I find they both have wonderfully rich flavors. I have enjoyed most of the others I have tried (Mount Gay Extra Old, Appleton Estate V/X, Angostura 1824 and Barbancourt 15) but the flavor just does not seem as rich or deep to me. The only one I have not enjoyed is Pyrat XO. I found the orange flavor over powering, one friend described it's flavor as like an orange liquor...and I think I agree. I won't give up on the bottle, its OK just not what I was looking for.

I am a personal fan of the Flor De Cana 7 year. For a $20 bottle, it is excellent.

As cheesy as it looks, the Sailor Jerry is some really good stuff, too. Don't know if it qualifies as fine, aged rum, but it's a damn good beverage.

I have gotten into Rums a little and found a few that I enjoy very much. My favorite at this point is Ron Zacapa Centenario Reserva, followed closely by Zaya Gran Reserva. I find they both have wonderfully rich flavors. I have enjoyed most of the others I have tried (Mount Gay Extra Old, Appleton Estate V/X, Angostura 1824 and Barbancourt 15) but the flavor just does not seem as rich or deep to me. The only one I have not enjoyed is Pyrat XO. I found the orange flavor over powering, one friend described it's flavor as like an orange liquor...and I think I agree. I won't give up on the bottle, its OK just not what I was looking for.

The Ron Zacapa and Zaya Gran Reserva are going to be my next two purchases-- they were right next to the Mount Gay XO, which I have been wanting to try for ages. The Ron Zacapa looks particularly-interesting, since the batches are married in a Spanish Sherry Solera, with batches aged in bourbon, sherry... and some other type of cask I can't quite remember...

I've been trying to learn more about rum lately, too. I've really loved my bottle of Appleton Extra (aged 12 years and somewhat bourbon-like; I can really pick out wood/barrel characteristics). I also have bottles of Matusalem Gran Reserva, which has a nice flavor but a finish that's too short, and Pusser's, which has a smoky flavor that I really like, that I've been enjoying. I've got a Mount Gay Extra Old, but I haven't cracked it yet.

I'm with T47. The only thing I've bought that I haven't really enjoyed is a 375 ml bottle of Pyrat Pistol. It's by no means a bad drink, and if you think about it as an orange liqueur and have a little cordial glass of it, it's pretty tasty. As a neat drink in a tumbler, though, it's got such an overpowering sweet orange flavor that I can really only drink 25-30 ml of it.

I like El Dorado 12 and 15 years. I actually like the 12 better. Rum is a wonderful drink and almost ever Carbi island and central American country has its own. I hope to try them all.

The good ones I've tried are El Dorado 12, Flor de Cana 7, and Angostura 8. Appleton's Reserve is pretty good as well, more of a rich taste than the others.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried some of the aged rums, but "bang for the buck" is Gosling Black Seal for me. Most of the aged rums were good, as was S. Jerry's & the Flor de Cana but I mostly buy the Gosling these days for summer drinks.

I agree a good aged Rum is a wonderful pour. There are so many Rums that I like a lot;

Zacapa 23 Anjos - I find it more complex than the current 23 solara

the previous iteration of Zacapa XO is really special too - I haven't tried the new US version.

El Dorado 15, 21 and 25.

Mt Gay XO, Cruzan Single Barrel, Monte Christo 12, Cubaney 15, Both Zaya's - Trinidad and Guatamala, Barbancourt Reserve Dumaine 15yr all deserve a spot on the shelf.

I loved the Pyrat from a few years ago and thought the older Cask was really special - but none of the current offerings get poured any more. They all taste like "flavor infused" cheap liquor to me.

I just tried some Depaz Blue Cane and thought it was really good and different than the previously mentioned mostly dark Rums.

YUM!

I like El Dorado 12 and 15 years. I actually like the 12 better. Rum is a wonderful drink and almost ever Carbi island and central American country has its own. I hope to try them all.

I love this entire line. The 21 was amazing. I met the owner...I think, or at least a hancho last year, and I can tell you He was a super great guy. He sent me a mini of each and even wrote me a Thank You e-mail for my interest in the brand. Gotta love that.

I just tried Brugal Anejo and was pleasantly surprised with its depth, balance and reasonable price.

I just tried Brugal Anejo and was pleasantly surprised with its depth, balance and reasonable price.

Brugal Anejo, from the Dominican Republic (and identifiable by the yellow netting surrounding the bottle), is my favorite Rum to date. Inexpensive too. When I have it with coke, a 60/40 or 50/50 mix does the trick and goes down smooth and easy.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a personal fan of the Flor De Cana 7 year. For a $20 bottle, it is excellent.

Try the 18 yr Flor de Cana if you can find it. $40 in NJ, but absolutely worth the price. I like the sugar cane rum from the French speaking islands, this is the exception.. Fantastic!

My favorite has been the El Dorado 12yo. I often find the 15yo too sweet. The 21 yo recently showed up in Houston and it is first class. Much drier than either the 12 or 15 and lots of refined spice flavors bouncing around. Runs $65 +/-.

Randy

As a long time rum fan...try the following for sipping:

Diplomatico Reserva...very sweet but smooth,

Zacapa 15 as it is less sweet than the 23,

Matusalem Grand Reserva,

English Harbour 5 year,

Appletons Estate 12 year,

Zaya

Ron Barrilito 3 Star

FDC 12 or 18

Montecristo 12

For long time bourbon drinkers..try something heavier like Pussers, Sea Wynde, or Banks XM etc.

With the dearth of bourbons available to me I have been reading through this thread a bit more closely.

Not being much of a rum drinker I have put my toe in the water with a Very Old Mt Gay purchase. If I like it I'll be happy as rum seems to have much better availability here in Aus. I have seen the Pyrat XO, Matusalem range, Appletons etc on the shelf.

I also bought a local drop http://www.canefire.net/KRCbackburn.htm I recall it being quite pleasant when I visited the distillery.

Hopefully this rum caper is as enjoyable as my bourbon experience has been!

I have seen the Pyrat XO

This is my most disapointing bottle of any liquor I have purchased to date. Tastes like orange liquor to me...nothing I expected and unlike the other rums I have tried so far. Maybe one day I will find a cocktail to enjoy it in?

My favorite has been the El Dorado 12yo. I often find the 15yo too sweet. The 21 yo recently showed up in Houston and it is first class. Much drier than either the 12 or 15 and lots of refined spice flavors bouncing around. Runs $65 +/-.

Randy

Have you tried the 25yo?

I haven't tried the 25yo....nor will I be buying a bottle at the prices I have seen. Ouch! But I would try it at a bar if I ever see it in one. Anvil Bar and Refuge here in Houston carries the 21yo.

Randy

I haven't tried the 25yo....nor will I be buying a bottle at the prices I have seen. Ouch! But I would try it at a bar if I ever see it in one. Anvil Bar and Refuge here in Houston carries the 21yo.

Randy

Yeah, BIG price jump - I've been looking for a bar that serves it for the same reason...

Tried out the Mt Gay Very Old on the weekend and I enjoyed it. Much lighter bodied than I expected but with a pleasant enough nose and a surprisingly long finish.

• 2 months later...

Matusalem Grand Reserva,

Zaya

Just picked up a bottle of that Matusalem Gran Reserva today. I was initially interested in it because it followed the principle of my favorite cigars-- developed in Cuba, then moved to the Dominican Republic in 1959, following the Communist takeover.

The tobacco houses of Carlos Torano and Arturo Fuente are the most notable examples. Ron Matusalem can be added to that list.

Aged in French Oak, then married in the tradition of the Spanish Solera system, this is a nicely-executed rum-- much lighter than I expected, especially for a 15-year rum. Definitely has a light butteriness, with a few notes of vanilla and caramel, followed by a tinge of allspice in the finish.

Unfortunately, as I was expecting a heavier, bolder flavor, I paired it with an Ashton VSG cigar-- a very nice cigar, but too bold for the rum (probably would have gone better with my Mt. Gay Reserve). I would recommend an Ashton Cabinet Series, Torano Exodus 1959, or Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva as better pairings.

This became available in PA just a month ago, and I'm very glad I jumped on it at ~$25/bottle.

My favorite has been the El Dorado 12yo...

Seeeee, Dawn, seeeeee?! Here's a palate we both respect! (Aside: I sent this bottling to luv2hunt last year -- she is originally a rum drinker, and had never had it. Reports that I recall indicate she liked it!)

I have a bottle (not my first!) on the bar unopened just awaiting an excuse. Any excuse. Heckuva value-per-$ liquor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.