The Fine, Aged Rum Thread

boss302
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just returned from a trip to London and Paris. Paris Duty Free had a Havana Club product I hadn't seen before (in addition to the white, anejo and 7yo anejo on the shelf). It was in a box that said something like "cask strength" and "special edition....limited release", etc which immediately caught my attention. Upon further reading it appears they select barrels and blend them, get the proof to 90 and then rebarrel them in "new" barrels to help meld the blend. Then bottle it "straight from the cask". They had a bottle open for tasting and it was quite good. More oak and vanilla than I get from their 7yo anejo. But I didn't pull the trigger on it as I had already bought enough things on this trip.

BTW......the current bourbon selections at CdG in Paris suck.

Randy

Sounds like the Barrel Proof to me. This is my choice when friends and family vacation in Cuba and are willing to bring me back something.

• 2 months later...
This is my most disapointing bottle of any liquor I have purchased to date. Tastes like orange liquor to me...nothing I expected and unlike the other rums I have tried so far. Maybe one day I will find a cocktail to enjoy it in?

I really like Pampero Anniversario, El Dorado 12 and the Zacapa 23.

I like your call on the Pampero Anniversario. It is my absolute favorite sippin' rum. :yum:

Quite the recommendation... So I just put in an order.... I'll let you know when she lands....

Anticipation....

Ken

I like your call on the Pampero Anniversario. It is my absolute favorite sippin' rum. :yum:

Agreed. Tasty, tasty stuff.

Really Todd? I know Pyrat XO isn't well liked on this board but I just don't understand why. I really enjoy it.

...Maybe a touch too sweet for some and I get it has that orange thing going on but it's a great tropical drink. I wouldn't see a need to mix it with anything, including ice...

For me, this rum is just too sweet - almost artificially so.

I have always found the Pampero to be one of my favorites. I still haven't figured out what to do with the leather bag. It is just made wrong to do much with but hold the rum.

For me, this rum is just too sweet - almost artificially so.

Oh, I get that. It's super sweet. It would never be a regular pour for me but there are times when it's just perfect. I always want a bottle on hand.

Currently working my way through a bottle of Diplimatico Reserva Exclusiva... Really tasty. I've read the PA is similar. I hope so.

Ken

I recently lucked into two very nice rums. Barbancourt 15yo for $28 at our local liquor store. I was standing next to a guy and we were talking about various booze related stuff when I saw two bottles on the lower shelf. I said at that price it was a no brainer so we both got one. If he hadn't been standing there I would have bought both of 'em.

The other is a pre embargo Cuban Bacardi Anejo from the 50's. Really delicious, one of the best spirits I have tried. I wish I had more of that one. I was selling some items for an estate and one bottle went for $440. Ouch, I was hoping to get the bottles for much less, now all the heirs just have dollar signs in there eyes.... sheeesh

Cheers,

RW

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've found a new favorite rum....unfortunately I can't bring it home.

I've started a love affair with Havana Club. Last night at a restaurant here is Aruba, I had a pour...don't know the age of it..... just to see what it was like. It was fantastic. Extremely smooth with a hint of the Pyrat sweetness that was tempered by a body that was closer to El Dorado. I plan on doing some Gillmanizing with my rums to see if I can get close to the taste when I get home.

Tonight, I picked up a barrel proof bottling of Havana Club which is also great. Hopefully I won't leave much behind when I leave in 3 days.

Tom

Tried a bottle of Pampero Anniversario. It's good but not quite up to the Diplomatico RE IMO. Tried blending it 50/50 with Pyrat XO... Hmmmm... Very nice!

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.