2009 Btac

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know when the KBF is and read Hansell's tweets, but was hoping for an early release in KY, looking for some insight. BTW, the tweets were an awesome read, exciting stuff!

Jay at the Party Source confirmed that the BTAC will be released in late October. But the FR 2009 Mariage and PHC 50th Anniversary will be released for the KBF.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at my receipts from last year's BTAC purchases and the 2008's didn't hit CA until November. I guess I have another 7 weeks or so until I see it out here. Looking forward to some more GTS and WLW.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I posted in the "purchase" thread that I just picked up a bottle each of the 2009 WLW and GTS. Not only were they my first BTAC purchases, they were the first BTAC bottles I had ever seen in a store here in Connecticut.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time until they get posted here but I'll ask anyway, has anyone seen the fact sheets or know the details on this years release? Care to share?

I asked for them at two storees and they said they were tossed away... I guess they don't have the "disease" that has infected the rest of us.:cool:

The Stagg is 141.4 proof, aged on the 1st and 3rd floor of warehouse K, 49.8% evaporation out of 109 barrels, 16 years 7 months old. Toffee , molases, vanilla and coffee tasting comments. Barrel proof entry 125 proof.

The WLW 134.8 proof, aged on the 5th floor of warehouses N & O. 57.2% evaporation out of 41 barrels. 11 years old. Caramel, toffee and a bit of cinnamon. Barrel proof entry: 114 proof.

I've missed out on the BTAC here in NH the last few years, but this year I'm on it. Not sure when it will arrive, but I'm definitely down for the Handy.

I'll probably get one more from the collection (I'm not a collector but I'd love to have something special bunkered for my special occasions).

What would you guys recommend? Another Handy? :cool:

Looking forward to hearing your reviews of this year's BTAC. I am humbled by so much expertise here.

Cheers!

but I'm definitely down for the Handy.

What would you guys recommend? Another Handy? :cool:

I'm passing on the THHandy this year. I got one last year and I loved it at first but as I got better acquainted with it the youngness came thru and I lost interest.

Last year's was a 6yo and this year it is 7.

If they continue with the same whiskey next year and it is an 8yo then I'll get another.

BTW, anyone know what the age of the '07 was?

The Stagg is 141.4 proof, aged on the 1st and 3rd floor of warehouse K, 49.8% evaporation out of 109 barrels, 16 years 7 months old. Toffee , molases, vanilla and coffee tasting comments. Barrel proof entry 125 proof.

The WLW 134.8 proof, aged on the 5th floor of warehouses N & O. 57.2% evaporation out of 41 barrels. 11 years old. Caramel, toffee and a bit of cinnamon. Barrel proof entry: 114 proof.

Eleven year old Weller and seven year old Handy... if this is antique, then I'm possitively ancient.

more moneys plz

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

Yeah, I heard that, but Stagg and Larue are better than money.

Whiskey is always better than money, all the more so now that the dollar is falling.

I have to disagree with Gothbat on the age of Handy. I really dig it at seven years. OK maybe I'd like the option of trying it at eight years but to be honest I don't think I'd like it as much if it was much older than that. I'm basing my opinion on the fact that I like Handy better than Saz 18. Whether that's fair or not, I don't know

I like Stagg a lot even though it falls outside the age range I most prefer.

And, to be honest, for the money, I haven't found most releases of WLW to be worth it. Good old ORVW 10, 107 satisfies the same itch for less money.

My money always goes to Stagg and Handy

For others down in SoCal, I was told at my local that they are expecting their allocation in some time next week - looking forward to picking up some Stagg and Handy (as Baby Saz is my "everyday" pour of choice) though like many of us I can't afford to snap up as many as I'd like...

The '08 WLW was fantastic as well, though it (along with the Eagle Rare) seemed to stay on the shelf for a lot longer in comparison to the other BTAC releases...

For others down in SoCal, I was told at my local that they are expecting their allocation in some time next week - looking forward to picking up some Stagg and Handy (as Baby Saz is my "everyday" pour of choice) though like many of us I can't afford to snap up as many as I'd like...

That is WAY EARLY! Years past it barely made it there before Thanksgiving.

I just was able to pick up a bottle of the Stagg for $80. They had several bottles of it as well as the Larue at my local booze stop. I'm looking forward to trying it soon enough.

That is WAY EARLY! Years past it barely made it there before Thanksgiving.

A few of the bigger allocations for SoCal seem to arrive significantly earlier than elsewhere on the West coast - though I'm not 100% confident in the veracity of any statements my bourbon merchant of choice makes after proffering BTAC's April 1st "Animal Collection" spoof as fact, and claiming High West and Templeton are brewing their own whiskey...

Anyhoo, I'll update when I have bottles in hand...

• 4 weeks later...

BTAC has landed in SoCal - but my local is charging $75 (most were $65 last year) for all of them and limiting customers to one bottle of each...

Whiskey is always better than money.

Right on, man!

I'm passing on the THHandy this year. I got one last year and I loved it at first but as I got better acquainted with it the youngness came thru and I lost interest.

Last year's was a 6yo and this year it is 7.

If they continue with the same whiskey next year and it is an 8yo then I'll get another.

Big Brother, I'm surprised to hear you say that since you were so hot on the Handy last year . . .

I loved last year's Handy, but gobbled it down by the end of Feb, so my memory of it may not be exactly accurate and I've come a long way in my whiskley conciousness since then. Still the predominate notes I recall (and wrote down) for the '08 were "green apples and clove" and the '09 would definitely be "cocoa and oak". I don't know whether it's barrel selection, that extra year or both, but this whiskey tastes older and much more mellow to me.

That being said, I agree with Brad, that rye is good young -- I think the barrel proof is also helpful as the Saz Jr. is starting to taste kind of watered down to me lately compared. I wasn't a huge fan of the Saz18 either (although it is nice), but really love the VWFRR which tastes great at 13yr (which is right in my sweet spot for age anyway). It's my hunch (or impression) that the Saz18 & VWFRR are from the same stock -- Saz18 tastes like a weaker, oakier version of the Van Winkle to me -- of course, I have no proof or evidence, just what my taste buds tell me.

Big Brother, I'm surprised to hear you say that since you were so hot on the Handy last year . . .

That was the first half of the bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.