Best bourbon for the money?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's really reasonable! Personally, I would grab a bottle. Later you can open that 12 year old. My 18 yr. old has been sitting around fer awhile.

Bj

Time for me to go shopping! I've been spending so much time chasing the stuff out of state. It's time I settled back home and had some good old EWSB and some Knob Creek.

Having finally gotten my hands on some Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel, and since it (unbelievably) only cost $18.49 per bottle, I think I have to cast my vote in it's favor. If I could choose more than one, the runner-up would be EC 12YO at about $13.69.

Well it's sort of interesting that the first bottle I picked up was $41.99. Me and Dave sucked down about 3/4 of it while reading some reviews here on the forum. I was a bit upset that I had paid almost double what others on the forum had paid. This was odd, because the liquor store I do most of my shopping at has generally superb prices. The cost of living is very high here in the Bay Area, but we seem to have some of the best bourbon prices in the nation. I'm not worried about that though, the minute the yuppies take an interest in bourbon, the joy ride is over frown.gif

I went back to the store and spoke to the manager about the inordinate markup (there was only one bottle on the shelf). The following week, an entire case was on the shelf at $18.49.

I bought four.

Actually I only made the comment because it was you who stated that Yankee fans have issues without justification. I personally dont like baseball but I think that Yankee fans do not have "issues". I do not think that a fan of any team has issues when they hype their team or challenge fans of others... they just have a love for their team and the game. ooo.gif

I have yet to try old Elmer, but I will agree with EC12. I wish I could get that price. I might add the ETL to my Christmas list.

Dave,

I have noticed after reading many of your posts that you seem to order lots of boutbon and then never open the packages when they arive. How do you do it? Are they just replacement bottles for bourbons and ryes that you already own? Man when I get a new bourbon, the second I step foot in the house, that bottle is OPEN grin.gif. Do you just have this massive stockpile in the basement? Are you putting some away in case of war and the Iraqies bomb all the distilleries? Just curious wink.gif

Jeff,

I don't have a corner liqour store with a good selection and reasonable prices; most of my purchases involve an interstate order or an inconveniet road trip of a couple of hours or more.

Consequently, I tend to buy anywhere from three to six bottles (not exclusively bourbon) at a time. Until recently, nearly all my purchases were of bottlings I had never tried before. Needless to say, opening all of them the same day I bring them home (or receive them from UPS) would lead to excessive drinking and probably very hazy recollections of what I had drunk. If the first one I open appeals to me very strongly, then I may spend a few days getting to know it, causing me to put off opening the others. Because of my limited amount of convenient storage space, those others may be placed out of sight, sometimes leading to out-of-mind.

As to a "massive stockpile", that's an overstatement. Without counting, I would guess that I have, at most, 20 bourbons, four ryes, four to six s----- blends, a similar number of single malts, a couple of rums, and, oh yeah, five Tennessee whiskies.

IIRC, there are no unopened bourbons, save for replacement bottles, one unopened rye, and three or four unopened s-----es.

You remind me that I have a tendency to enjoy acquiring as much as consuming/using. Before I started seriously drinking bourbon a few months ago, I had been adding to my compact disc collection at an unsustainable rate. I can only estimate how many I have and how many of them I haven't bothered to listen to, even once. (Sometimes my genre of interest suddenly changes, and my backlog of that genre goes into a closet.) I'd guess it's in the vicinity of 3000/500.

The only "putting away" is the four bottles (now three and a fraction bottles) of VWFR 13 year rye that I ordered from Sam's. I may add to that stash over time rather than replace some of my less favored bottles.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

When I make it to the ABC store, I'm likely to snag more than one bottle at a time, and (like recently) between OGD BIB, russell's reserve, old forester 100 and EC12, I can only give attention to one bottle at a time, and I prefer to spend a day or two with each. Currently the OGD is on hold (spicier than I prefer) and the Russell's reserve is in testing.

As for regular pours, probably Maker's and Woodford are my two regular pours. (I'm hoping the OF100 will closely approximate Woodford).

There are probably 8 or so bottles of whisky that I either don't care for or haven't found a reason to care for yet, space isn't an issue (They all live in the pantry) so they sit until I feel like trying them again.

I have been away from the forum for a while and have read this thread during my lunch. I apologize for the confusion of Ancient Age, Ancient Ancient Age, and Ancient Age 10 Star. The Ancient Ancient Age (AAA 10 year) is 10 years old and is only sold in Kentucky and Virginia. The reason it is not sold elsewhere is because we simply do not have enough. The Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star is very confusing. We we decided to pull the 10 year product from the market, several of our distributors were not happy. As a compromise between regular Ancient Age and AAA 10 year, we offered AAA 10 Star. This bourbon is actually 6-7 years old. I think naming it 10 Star was a poor marketing decision and led to the confusion. Just to cloud the issue further, there is also an Ancient Age Preferred (a blended whiskey, not a bourbon at all). This product can be found in several states, however, Texas is perhaps the largest.

Just so you know (watch out, here comes that damned marketing influence!), Jim Murray named AAA 10 year as one of the 5 best whiskies in the world. Of course I haven't seen Jim in a while and he might have changed his mind by now!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

The Ancient Ancient Age (AAA 10 year) is 10 years old and is only sold in Kentucky and Virginia.

I said whiskies, but most are bourbon.

A bottle of gentleman jack, gifted to me a year ago, and rekindled my several years dead love of whisky. I've sampled it a few times since the bourbon rush, and it still tastes too much like JD for me.

A bottle of Jacob's Well, my old favourite. Back in '99 and 2000, this could be had for a song at most ABC stores, and I really enjoyed it. I was still scraping through school at the time and bartending nights while working my pre-dot-bomb small local tech job, so money was tight, I never even glanced at anything with a price tag over $18. I liked it then, and it isn't bad now, but not much more than slightly smoother JB black.

Henry McKenna single barrel, 10 years old. My first bottle of Heaven Hill bourbon. Not bad, but the most recent time i tried it it tasted very menthol-like, and couldn't hold a candle to Woodford's.

EC18. I wish i knew why my father's bottle tastes so good, and mine so smoky and sharp.

Old Grand Dad BIB - too spicy for me, will require more getting used to.

Eagle Rare, 10 year. - see OGD BIB frown.gif

Russels Reserve - it tastes like.... WT101? More refined yes, but I never really cared for WT101. I'd take it over JB white and any scotch in the world, but if the bar has Dickel....

Knob Creek - funny. I enjoy it when i go out, but sometimes it can taste very menthol-like, especially after woodford reserve.

Booker's - Not exactly on the don't care for list, but on the not-gonna-drink-on-a-weekday list, for sure. Mine is still unopen.

My favourites at the moment are Makers (Which i found way too harsh back in 99, now it tastes sweetish to me, go figure), Georgre Dickel no 12, and Woodford reserve. I also like EWSB, but i bought it for a friend who quickly finished it, and I have no bottle at the moment.

Unopened are OF100, EC12, and a bottle of blanton's which i've enjoyed at friend's houses, but haven't opened it yet. I have a bottle of JB rye which i really liked back in 99, I've cracked the seal to get a whiff, but haven't had any yet. (i sure wish there were more than 2 ryes in NC, JB and WT)

I'm looking forwards to the OF100 and EC12 (especially since the EC12 was $11 here). I've been meaning to track down some Ezra Brooks too.

On another note, does anyone know of a piece of furniture that closely approximates a liquor cabinet, that won't cost me $500? I've been looking for a way to move the whisky to the living room and out of the pantry...

Old Grand Dad BIB - too spicy for me, will require more getting used to.

Eagle Rare, 10 year. - see OGD BIB

Wow, so there really are people who don't care for the bird. Interesting....

It looks like we've got a project! Make Phork love WT grin.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.