Ardbeg 10: should I do it?

Megawatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have some birthday money with which I would like to buy an exceptional bottle of whisky. I finally got to try Ardbeg 10 last week and was very impressed, so I am tempted to blow my stash on a bottle.

Here is the thing: the price recently went from $77 to $99 per 750ml in Ontario, making it probably the most expensive 10-year-old around. Would I be insane to buy this?

I am also looking at The Glenlivet Nadurra ($81), and Longmorn 16 ($98). Really my budget should be around $80, but of course I can stretch it a little.

Happy Birthday, Mega. Skip the Ardbeg, and spend your cash on a nice bottle of bourbon. Tons of great recommendations for you, up in the bourbon section. Heck, you'll be able to afford 2 or 3 superior bottles, for what you're willing to part with for the Ardbeg.

Happy Birthday, Mega. Skip the Ardbeg, and spend your cash on a nice bottle of bourbon. Tons of great recommendations for you, up in the bourbon section. Heck, you'll be able to afford 2 or 3 superior bottles, for what you're willing to part with for the Ardbeg.

Here are the bourbons available to me: Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Corner Creek (all $45), Bulleit ($35)...I think that's about it.

Don't fear, you're still way ahead of the Ardbeg with those options, limited as they may be. You still can get 2 superior bottles from that group. If it were me, I'd go Woodford and Bulliet, and grab a couple of beers with the leftover change. However, I'm tempted to suggest Corner Creek, as I have a particular fondness for it's minty goodness. In the end, you won't go wrong by getting any two of them.

Don't fear, you're still way ahead of the Ardbeg with those options, limited as they may be. You still can get 2 superior bottles from that group. If it were me, I'd go Woodford and Bulliet, and grab a couple of beers with the leftover change. However, I'm tempted to suggest Corner Creek, as I have a particular fondness for it's minty goodness. In the end, you won't go wrong by getting any two of them.

Not an Islay fan, I take it? I like Knob Creek and Bulleit is not bad either, but they don't exactly qualify as special occasion sippers, if you know what I mean.

If you are a fan of the Islay style, then nothing else will do, and I've been impressed with Ardbeg, as their attitude across the board seems to be "go big or go home."

No, not at all. I like Islays, well enough. I just think that all of the bourbon choices you listed trump the Ardbeg for any occasion.

I am also looking at The Glenlivet Nadurra ($81), and Longmorn 16 ($98). Really my budget should be around $80, but of course I can stretch it a little.

My advice is to pass on the Longmorn 16 @ $98. No-one I know has anything good to say about the value of this product although comparisons to the 15yr @ $55 probably predispose people to a negative comparion. I tried it and was unimpressed.

I consider the Nadurra to be one of the best values at the LCBO - this coming from an Ardbeg fan. The 10yr is worth the coin IMHO, but the Nadurra is better value.

I have some birthday money with which I would like to buy an exceptional bottle of whisky. I finally got to try Ardbeg 10 last week and was very impressed, so I am tempted to blow my stash on a bottle.

Here is the thing: the price recently went from $77 to $99 per 750ml in Ontario, making it probably the most expensive 10-year-old around. Would I be insane to buy this?

C'mon Man, it is your Birthday money.

I can get you a Laphroaig 30yo here in MI for $599.00 plus 6% sales tax plus shipping.:grin:

Actually I had Longmorn 16 last week and thought it was fantastic. Whether it was as good or better than the 15, hard to say without directly comparing them, but I agree that the 16 is awful pricey.

In the end, the decision was made for me: Ardbeg is all sold out around here, and I found a bottle of The Glenlivet Nadurra at $16 off! On my first glass of it now. I'd be hard-pressed to say whether this is Scotch or bourbon if I didn't already know. In fact I'd probably say bourbon. Crazy.

Shoot, I have a Ardbeg Uigeadail I have been waiting to open. PM me your address and I'l put a sticky on the bottle to send you a sample when I open it.

I've had Ardbeg Uigeadail and no one could mistake that for bourbon. I could taste the peat for three days. In whiskey competitions, the Islay malts are always judged last because that peat taste is so persistent.

But the Highland malts do resemble bourbon. I was surprised when Richard Paterson (The Dalmore) told me they use first refill bourbon casks. Most other malt distilleries prefer second refill bourbon casks, which they obtain from the grain whiskey distilleries that use them first. They want the "bourboness" out of them, while they Highland distilleries use bourbon casks the same way they use sherry casks, presumably because they're starting with a spirit that doesn't have a great deal of flavor on its own.

I've had Ardbeg Uigeadail and no one could mistake that for bourbon. I could taste the peat for three days. In whiskey competitions, the Islay malts are always judged last because that peat taste is so persistent.

But the Highland malts do resemble bourbon. I was surprised when Richard Paterson (The Dalmore) told me they use first refill bourbon casks. Most other malt distilleries prefer second refill bourbon casks, which they obtain from the grain whiskey distilleries that use them first. They want the "bourboness" out of them, while they Highland distilleries use bourbon casks the same way they use sherry casks, presumably because they're starting with a spirit that doesn't have a great deal of flavor on its own.

I notice that Nadurra uses first-fill American oak for the whole 16 years, which lends credence to my theory that Scotch acquires the most bourbon taste when aged in new oak. Others have argued this with me, but I find that most of the Scotches I've had that uses new oak for even part of the maturation have the biggest bourbon notes.

If you are a fan of the Islay style, then nothing else will do, and I've been impressed with Ardbeg, as their attitude across the board seems to be "go big or go home."

Here, here! Go with the Ardberg. It's about $55 here in MA and $42 in NH. I love it. Gives Lagavulin 16 a run for its' money peatwise with a bit more kick in the finish.

Here, here! Go with the Ardberg. It's about $55 here in MA and $42 in NH. I love it. Gives Lagavulin 16 a run for its' money peatwise with a bit more kick in the finish.

I guess the question is, if it cost $99 instead of $55, would you still go for it?

The best think about Ardbeg 10, and most Ardbegs, is the complexity of them, once you get used to the peat. There is a wonderful malty sweetness that balances out the tary/rope like peat. Chocolate notes at several points, its just a world class dram.

I guess the question is, if it cost $99 instead of $55, would you still go for it?

Not here in the U.S. when I can get the Uigedail for about that price (which I have and love). But since you are in Canada, I don't know what your opportunity costs necessarily are. $99 may be a good deal up there.....or at least a reasonable one.... don't you hate socialized alcohol?

I love Ardbeg 10, however, $99 is way way to much INHO

I love Ardbeg 10, however, $99 is way way to much INHO

Its in canadian dollars which is about $90 US. Still high but you need to taste Ardbeg 10. Ardbeg is one of my favorite single malt.

Just saw the Ardberg 10yr at 42.99 in NH. I have one open and 1 bunkered so I passed but still a great price for a great Scotch.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go for the Nadurra, personally.

Ardbeg 10 is very good, but I think it's over hyped. If Ardbeg released a bubble bath people would still be rushing to say it was brilliant. They can't lose.

I think nearly all Scottish distilleries use first fill bourbon casks. The bourbon producers can't use them once they've been used once, so the Socts buy them then. The only place a Scottish distillery could get a second fill bourbon cask, really, is from another Scottish distillery or refill one they have used already.

There's one or two Scottish distilleries using virgin oak, as does the Midleton Disitllery in Ireland. These don't qualify as bourbon barrels as they've never held bourbon, but they give off very strong bourbon flavours.

I'd go for the Nadurra, personally.

There's one or two Scottish distilleries using virgin oak, as does the Midleton Disitllery in Ireland. These don't qualify as bourbon barrels as they've never held bourbon, but they give off very strong bourbon flavours.

All of the Scotches I've tasted that have spent time in new oak have had strong bourbon overtones: The Glenlivet Nadurra, Glenfiddich Solera Reserve, and The Glendronach Original. The Nadurra has especially strong bourbon flavour.

Ardbeg 10 is very good, but I think it's over hyped. If Ardbeg released a bubble bath people would still be rushing to say it was brilliant. They can't lose.

I really think there's some truth to this statement. Although I've warmed up considerably to Ardbeg 10 after four consecutive nights of drinking it, I still feel it is too one dimensional and over-hyped/overrated. Check out this parallel thread for more info.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9339&page=65

I really love the Ardbeg 10. It's not my favourite malt or anything. It's a great distillery, but its support has reached a kind of critical mass. It drags everything in. They no longer have to produce the great malts they have produced in the past to be aclaimed masterful, complex... all sorts of superlatives. Although they do still produce whisky in this category.

All of the Scotches I've tasted that have spent time in new oak have had strong bourbon overtones: The Glenlivet Nadurra, Glenfiddich Solera Reserve, and The Glendronach Original. The Nadurra has especially strong bourbon flavour.

If you're set on either the Nadurra or the Ardbeg-

I'm not as much of a scotch fan as a bourbon/rye guy, but my mom and dad are die hard when it comes to scotch. I've tried both the Nadurra and the Ardbeg, and liked them both. the Ardbeg was so completely in my face with the peat, and I was so unused to it, that I actually ended up likiing it. the Nadurra is more similar to a bourbon, and I didn't like it quite as much.

ultimately, it's your decision. do you want a cask-strength malt, or a swamp BBQ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.