Ardbeg 10: should I do it?

Megawatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Correction on the price... NH now has the Ardberg 10 at $36.99 .... I already have one open and one bunkered and I'm light on cash or I'd stock up. Anyone near the NH border should snap up a few...

Correction on the price... NH now has the Ardberg 10 at $36.99 .... I already have one open and one bunkered and I'm light on cash or I'd stock up. Anyone near the NH border should snap up a few...

$36.99!! Man, here in Illinois the Ardbeg 10 routinely sells for $70, though I have found it now and then for much cheaper. (The cheapest I've seen it was $40.)

I also love Ardbeg 10. Amazing complexity for a 10 yr. whiskey. I would only purchase it again for special occasions. It's out of my price range for regular sipping. It's about $62.00 in Dallas.

Excuse my scotch ignorance but is the Ardbeg 10 a different bottle from the Ardbeg Corryvreckan?

Yes sir, it is different than the 10. The Cory is a new release that will replace "the beast". Think 10 but much more complex and bigger. There is a review of the cory up at maltadvocate.com in the blog section.

Yes sir, it is different than the 10. The Cory is a new release that will replace "the beast". Think 10 but much more complex and bigger. There is a review of the cory up at maltadvocate.com in the blog section.

I read the review of the Ardbeg Corryvreckan in the current issue of M.A.

Here are some of the tasting notes,...

coal tar

damp kiln

anise

smoked seaweed

bacon fat

kalamata olive

It sounds so hideous that I think I will have to get a bottle.

I'm guessing the price will be "bigger" too. I'm actually looking forward to trying the new expression, as I find the Ardbeg 10 very one dimensional and thin. The flavor and aroma are definitely there, but this is one whisky that would benefit from additional malt to beef up the body. I know, others will disagree with my assessment, but I'm calling it as I see it.

I'm guessing the price will be "bigger" too. I'm actually looking forward to trying the new expression, as I find the Ardbeg 10 very one dimensional and thin. The flavor and aroma are definitely there, but this is one whisky that would benefit from additional malt to beef up the body. I know, others will disagree with my assessment, but I'm calling it as I see it.

Not terrible. Suppose to be around $85. Cheaper than the last release , "Supernova". Gotta get me some tarry rope to sip on. :cool:

Not terrible. Suppose to be around $85. Cheaper than the last release , "Supernova". Gotta get me some tarry rope to sip on. :cool:

But first you have to cover yourself in bacon fat and coal tar and sit in a damp kiln. :lol:

But first you have to cover yourself in bacon fat and coal tar and sit in a damp kiln. :lol:

Yum. :slappin:Yum.:slappin: Yum.:slappin:

Ardbeg 10yr recently went from $69.95/bottle to $55 /bottle. Yes a price drop of -$15 so I picked up a bottle and enjoyed a couple of drams. Heavy on the oily peat and wet char smoke with some sweetness at the beginning and near the end. If peat and smoke not your thing I would stay away from this stuff.

Why the price drop - no clue? This from a State that rarely if ever, drops the price of booze.

TJ

• 4 months later...

Update: price dropped to $49.95 so I picked up two more bottles, one for when I finish the latest bottle and one for the bunker. Next on the hit list is Corryveckan. Heard nothing but good things about this bottle.

TJ

Update: price dropped to $49.95 so I picked up two more bottles, one for when I finish the latest bottle and one for the bunker. Next on the hit list is Corryveckan. Heard nothing but good things about this bottle.

TJ

Got to love them price drops! Let us know what you think of the Corryveckan if you score one soon.

Now I'm convinced I must try some Ardberg. The tasting notes were an excellent nudge.

Cheers!

I read the review of the Ardbeg Corryvreckan in the current issue of M.A.

Here are some of the tasting notes,...

coal tar

damp kiln

anise

smoked seaweed

bacon fat

kalamata olive

It sounds so hideous that I think I will have to get a bottle.

For something a little more available than the Corryvreckan go for the Uigeadail. It is their barrel proof version and most excellent if you ask me.

Ardbeg has been one of my favorite Scotch whisky. Here is a picture of Ardbeg Mhor which is 4.5 liters and its small cousin the 10 sitting on my bar.

?action=view&current=DSCN1324.jpg

(Is there a way to post a picture instead of a link?)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.