Buffalo Trace "New Offerings" taste today 8/14

sysrick
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

John Hansell (Malt Advocate) just twitted:

Buffalo Trace "New Offerings" #whiskey tasting at the distillery this afternoon at 2:30 EST. Don't miss it. Follow me on Twitter.

John's other Tweets from BT:

http://twitter.com/JohnHansell

Mark Brown: details on Buffalo Trace new "Taylor" #whiskeys: a straight rye, single barrel, small batch, and various proof offerings

Mark Brown: new Taylor bottlings will be like Antique Collection bottlings but year-round.

Mark Brown: will ne releasing new A Smith Bowman line in a few months. Will be BT's new "microdistillery".

Mark brown: still learning about Tom Moore distillery, but they made wheat whiskey there too! He says warehouses are invaluable.

Mark Brown; picked up 5 new recipes with Tom Moore distillery acquisition.

-----------

Sounds good to me!

follow up tweets -- wish I could have gotten there!

JohnHansell Just tasted the entire new line of Buffalo trace Antique Collection #whiskeys, plus 2 new experimental whiskeys. Informal reviews to follow.

JohnHansell William Larue Weller. A CS wheated #bourbon #whiskey. My favorite of the new lot. They beefed it up with some older whiskeys. Stunning!

JohnHansell George T. Stagg. A CS ryed #bourbon #whiskey. My #2 of the lot! They beefed this baby up too! Incredible balance! Another "must buy"!

JohnHansell Thomas H. Handy Rye. Sweet, lush, vibrant, and spicy. Perhaps my third favorite. The Rye equivalent to Cask Strength Laphroaig 10 yr old.

JohnHansell Sazerac Rye 18 yr. rye #whiskey. The 2001-2005 vintages were the best. Aged in Stainless since 2006. Still nice, but losing some pizazz.

JohnHansell Eagle Rare 17 yr. Sort of got lost in the mix with these other bullies. Need a separate time to review it fairly. Last two years were great.

JohnHansell Two Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection #whiskey reviews to follow. Due out Sept./Oct. Double Barrel Aged in new charred oak barrels.

JohnHansell 1997 Vintage Double Barrel BT Experimental Collection. Aged 8 yrs. then again in in virgin charred oak barrels. Very woody, but drinkable.

JohnHansell 1993 Vintage Double Barrel BT Experimental Collection. Aged 8 yrs. then again in in virgin charred oak barrels. Over the line in oak. Avoid!

John's other Tweets from BT:

http://twitter.com/JohnHansell

Mark Brown: details on Buffalo Trace new "Taylor" #whiskeys: a straight rye, single barrel, small batch, and various proof offerings

Mark Brown: new Taylor bottlings will be like Antique Collection bottlings but year-round.

Mark Brown: will ne releasing new A Smith Bowman line in a few months. Will be BT's new "microdistillery".

Mark brown: still learning about Tom Moore distillery, but they made wheat whiskey there too! He says warehouses are invaluable.

Mark Brown; picked up 5 new recipes with Tom Moore distillery acquisition.

-----------

Sounds good to me!

WOW!

This is going to be great!!

follow up tweets -- wish I could have gotten there!

JohnHansell Just tasted the entire new line of Buffalo trace Antique Collection #whiskeys, plus 2 new experimental whiskeys. Informal reviews to follow.

JohnHansell William Larue Weller. A CS wheated #bourbon #whiskey. My favorite of the new lot. They beefed it up with some older whiskeys. Stunning!

JohnHansell George T. Stagg. A CS ryed #bourbon #whiskey. My #2 of the lot! They beefed this baby up too! Incredible balance! Another "must buy"!

JohnHansell Thomas H. Handy Rye. Sweet, lush, vibrant, and spicy. Perhaps my third favorite. The Rye equivalent to Cask Strength Laphroaig 10 yr old.

JohnHansell Sazerac Rye 18 yr. rye #whiskey. The 2001-2005 vintages were the best. Aged in Stainless since 2006. Still nice, but losing some pizazz.

JohnHansell Eagle Rare 17 yr. Sort of got lost in the mix with these other bullies. Need a separate time to review it fairly. Last two years were great.

JohnHansell Two Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection #whiskey reviews to follow. Due out Sept./Oct. Double Barrel Aged in new charred oak barrels.

JohnHansell 1997 Vintage Double Barrel BT Experimental Collection. Aged 8 yrs. then again in in virgin charred oak barrels. Very woody, but drinkable.

JohnHansell 1993 Vintage Double Barrel BT Experimental Collection. Aged 8 yrs. then again in in virgin charred oak barrels. Over the line in oak. Avoid!

All I can say is WOW!

Stagg, Larue and all the rest, I can't wait!

Just when you think things are about to settle down they throw more at 'ya.

I love it.

People can pick on Twitter and shrug their shoulders asking "what good is it?" but I think John live tweeting the tastings and Elmer T. Lee's birthday shindig was darn cool.

Here's the other side of John's tweets. I worry that if we get competitive and all start seeing who can get their tweets out fastest, those get-togethers won't be as much fun. We were kidding him a lot. "Now I'm walking down the steps of the Elmer T. Lee Club House." It takes tremendous discipline to keep the tweet stream going at something like that and also keep participating in the physical space. He has what it takes. It's a brave, new world. Lew Bryson was actively blogging. He blogged a picture from a boat in the Kentucky River (they were showing the the river side view of the distillery). I'm so bad, I forgot to bring my transfer cable for my primitive non-phone camera. Clearly, I'm the neanderthal of the group.

The Wm. LaRue was outstanding but my second fave was the Handy. Though the most conversation was about the two double-wood experimentals.

The two new experimentals are both double wood. The first was distilled in 1993, aged for 8 years in a new barrel, transferred to another new barrel and aged for 8 more years. The second was distilled in 1997, also aged for 8 years in a new barrel, then transferred to another new barrel for four more years. The one with the lesser time in the second barrel was better, good even. The 16-year-old was too much. Hansell thought so too. Jim Murray disagreed.

The original double-barrel was also distilled in 1993, but it was the BT2 (high rye) recipe. The new one is BT1 (low rye). That earlier one, like the new '97, was 8 years in one, 4 in the other.

Actually Chuck, the main purpose of my tweeting on Friday at Buffalo Trace, for those who were following me, had nothing to do with "getting competitive [with the other writers attending] and seeing who can get their tweets out the fastest". Here's why I did it:

We were among the fortunate few who have access to things like one-on-one conversations with Mark Brown, tasting new whiskeys at Buffalo Trace's lab, and attending Elmer T. Lee's 90th Birthday Party. For the rest of the bourbon enthusiasts, out there, what I was offering them was the next best thing. Judging by the feedback I got from those folling me on Twitter (and Callmeox's comment above), they were very grateful for my efforts.

Believe me, it would have been a lot easier (and more fun for me) if I hadn't done it. But it was my way of sharing my good fortune, in what little way that I could, with fellow bourbon enthusiasts.

Looking back, I did very little tweeting in public. Maybe 8 tweets the whole day, during Mark Brown's talk at lunch and Elmer's BD party. (Probably took the same amount time that any of us spent peeing on Friday.) All my BTAC and BTEC tweets were done immediately after the tasting back in my hotel room.

BTW, it was great seeing you Chuck, and hanging with you and Lew Bryson.

John

thanks very much for sharing an experience that otherwise would have just been for a select few. It's greatly appreciated.

I was following your tweets like they were a baseball game on the radio - and they were more exciting to me as well.

Roger

Very exciting stuff John. Rughi's baseball analogy is spot on. It felt like a few home runs were hit by the home team that day.

I wasn't calling you out, John, although I can't resist a little needle. I said I admired your discipline because I could tell you had set a difficult task for yourself. Better you than me. On the other hand, I've been in meetings that are, seemingly, all thumbs. I'd hate to see it come to that. Obviously, the folks here appreciated your tweets very much.

I hear ya Chuck. If we all end up tweeting or blogging at events, it wouldn't be a good thing, just like if we were all photographers. Fortunately, in the whiskey world, it hasn't gotten to that. Yet.

Cask Strength

(is a phrase of insufficient length to please the board rules)

D'oh! I should have been able to figure that out but I thought they age bourbon in barrels, not casks. Looks more like a sc*&%(tch reference to me.

Is it really worth quibbling over? If that's the term he wants to use, whats the big deal? You know what he is trying to convey.

Buffalo Trace Distillery as seen from the Kentucky River. Another one of BT's big plans is to enhance the river front and make it more available for recreational use. The locks on the Kentucky are non-functional, so it's not navigable. It's a series of pools to which boats are driven.

post-5-14489815818456_thumb.jpg

post-5-14489815818456_thumb.jpg

Bags or organic rye flour and organic corn flour, stacked in the Buffalo Trace micro-distillery room.

post-5-14489815819469_thumb.jpg

Is it really worth quibbling over? If that's the term he wants to use, whats the big deal? You know what he is trying to convey.

Not seriously quibbling. Just giving the Scotchmen a poke :stickpoke:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.