Old Forester 2009 B-Day Bourbon

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What I like about the Birthday Bourbon series can also be its problem, which is that they are all so different. It shows you how different one recipe can taste under different aging conditions. I only tasted the '09 briefly and agreed with the assessment of Chris Morris that it is much softer than many previous iterations. That's what he was going for in the selection, but I can see where it might fall flat for some people.

What I like about the Birthday Bourbon series can also be its problem, which is that they are all so different. It shows you how different one recipe can taste under different aging conditions. I only tasted the '09 briefly and agreed with the assessment of Chris Morris that it is much softer than many previous iteration. That's what he was going for in the selection, but I can see where it might fall flat for some people.

Chuck,

I was hoping that my harsh review would have been flogged and it was really just a bad sample.

I have been a pseudo fan of the B-Days to date. The 05 and 07 were my favs of the bunch, but I have had all of them.

I liked some more than others and the 0X was not to my tastes. It was almost like the Handy, I could tell it was a good product, just not my wheel house.

There are subtle flavors in the 09, but the harsh chemical flavors surprised me dramatically. I am thinking of taking the remainder of the sample I have and trying it in a rocks glass to see if I can mute the harsh notes.

In a glass Glenclairn, the sample I have is undrickable...

I liked some more than others and the 0X was not to my tastes.

Well, I'm not a huge fan of *yours* either. ;-)

What I like about the Birthday Bourbon series can also be its problem, which is that they are all so different. It shows you how different one recipe can taste under different aging conditions. I only tasted the '09 briefly and agreed with the assessment of Chris Morris that it is much softer than many previous iterations. That's what he was going for in the selection, but I can see where it might fall flat for some people.

Chuck, I know I have read that many times previously and my palate is by no means in your class; however every one of them have strong similarities to me. They all are clearly, to me at least, OF profile bourbons and I just don't see THAT much difference in them. I guess that why we say YMMV.

Here's my review of bb09. I had a small taste, in a bar, after several cocktails, and I didn't have any problem with it. If that's damned-by-faint-praise, so be it. Don't take that as a big up arrow. It's actually <------> i.e., neutral, or, at best, a qualified not negative. But I have enjoyed every bb I have tasted in depth, so I'm waiting until I've had a bit more of 09 to render a real verdict.

And, yeah, I've never had one that didn't taste like Old Forester. That's the starting point.

Well my 2 bottles came in and I have to say it is fantastic stuff. Everything I expected from this annual release. Nothing but bourbon heaven in my bottle.

I immediatly thought WtKS when the nose hit me and the rest is just tons of flavor. I highly recommend picking up 2 or 3, if you can get that many. My store said they were only able to get 30 bottles.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know who to curse more, the NFL, Oscar or Virus of Life!

Completely tastes like the disposable diaper smell.

Oscar cursed me with a sample, and I took it to the Browns game where I found out that in the club seats, in all of the NFL, you cannot order a straight shot, it must be cut with 75% wash. So no Knob Creek for me....... or anyone. In all 50 states in a bar I can get a shot, just not in a NFL stadium.

Swigging the OFBB 2009 off a mini in the first quarter...... umm hideous. But I was forewarned, only tolerable because it was the only straight hooch I had access to. The 2009 product is nasty and I'm sorry in advance to anyone who purchased it.

Completely tastes like the disposable diaper smell.

Oscar cursed me with a sample, and I took it to the Browns game where I found out that in the club seats, in all of the NFL, you cannot order a straight shot, it must be cut with 75% wash. So no Knob Creek for me....... or anyone. In all 50 states in a bar I can get a shot, just not in a NFL stadium.

Swigging the OFBB 2009 off a mini in the first quarter...... umm hideous. But I was forewarned, only tolerable because it was the only straight hooch I had access to. The 2009 product is nasty and I'm sorry in advance to anyone who purchased it.

OK, I'm starting to get a little concerned with you guys and your apparent familiarity with the smell and taste of of a disposable diaper.

What exactly are you guys doing when you are not logged on here?:shithappens:

Whoa, where do I get in on the blame game here??

^ whoops! Sorry VOL, I should be cursing Spun. He was dead on with the smell, I just didnt do a good job of checking my sources.

Well...having just learned about the OF BB's, i was at a new shop I was passing by to see if they had anything I hadnt yet tried...

having not seen reviews for 2009, when i saw the OFBB bottle on the shelf, I immediately grabbed for it...quite dusty I thought, and the two behind it were just the same...hmm, this is supposed to be a new release? then I noticed..."2007"...

after reading this thread, I am glad I came home with what I did, rather than what I could have...I look forward to opening and enjoying, and tomorrow I head back to buy out their other two remaining dust covered bottles of '07 for gifts (for dad and a friend)...the shop-keep had no idea what he had on hand...

fenway68

Well...having just learned about the OF BB's, i was at a new shop I was passing by to see if they had anything I hadnt yet tried...

having not seen reviews for 2009, when i saw the OFBB bottle on the shelf, I immediately grabbed for it...quite dusty I thought, and the two behind it were just the same...hmm, this is supposed to be a new release? then I noticed..."2007"...

after reading this thread, I am glad I came home with what I did, rather than what I could have...I look forward to opening and enjoying, and tomorrow I head back to buy out their other two remaining dust covered bottles of '07 for gifts (for dad and a friend)...the shop-keep had no idea what he had on hand...

fenway68

After reading this thread you should not be able to make a proper decision about the 2009 B-Day bourbon. Only 2 people on here have actual bought a bottle for themselves and found nothing wrong with it.

The people you have heard bad mouthing it have been passing around samples of an obviously tainted bottle and has not been doing anyone, any good. Hell, that said sample was even reviewed on another prominent site.

I'm just saying you all are experienced enough to know bad bottles do exist, yet this one bad bottle is making everyone right off this entire year's stock. GO GET YOUR OWN BOTTLE AND MAKE YOUR OWN DIAGNOSES, Please!:rolleyes:

After reading this thread you should not be able to make a proper decision about the 2009 B-Day bourbon. Only 2 people on here have actual bought a bottle for themselves and found nothing wrong with it.

The people you have heard bad mouthing it have been passing around samples of an obviously tainted bottle and has not been doing anyone, any good. Hell, that said sample was even reviewed on another prominent site.

I'm just saying you all are experienced enough to know bad bottles do exist, yet this one bad bottle is making everyone right off this entire year's stock. GO GET YOUR OWN BOTTLE AND MAKE YOUR OWN DIAGNOSES, Please!:rolleyes:

I have to (somewhat) disagree. I gave it a ho-hum review here. And I referenced the off entry note I noticed here. And this was based on a bottle I purchased myself.

IMO, the 2009 is just not very good.

Yes John, I believe the consensus is, that bottling is not very good.

Don, it sounds like there will be plenty of bottles on the shelves for you, since it appears you enjoy the Plastic Diaper aroma in your drinks !!!!:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

Well I do have a new baby, so maybe I am just so used to the smell I can't detect it. If anyone wants a sample of mine to compare I can arrange that.

Well I do have a new baby, so maybe I am just so used to the smell I can't detect it. If anyone wants a sample of mine to compare I can arrange that.

Don,

I would. It would be good to compair the two.

• 3 weeks later...
PM on it's way......

Thanks to Dan I was able to compair his and Scott's. No question that Dan's is better (had the wife's help so I would not be bias... more bias :D).

If you like sour apple and some of the bitter type candies on the market today (skittles, now-n-laters, gummy worms, etc) this may be the juice for you.

Here are my head to head notes:

Scott’s

Nose – very young. Lots of off notes. As it opens some of the earth from Dan’s is there, but not near as much. There is a lot of corn with some wet plant smell (like house plants).

Dan’s

Nose - Not as young with a lot more depth. The young corn is covered nicely with some oak and earth. I get some touches of the chocolate that has been mentioned on this as it opens. There is some rye and some other spices.

Overall Nose:

Here is what is odd. If you let the two sit in the glass a while, Dan’s has more depth. Fruits (apples and pears are there), Scott’s is very one dimensional, but you do get some vanilla with the plastic diaper. If you swirl them and then smell… they are very very close.

Day’s is better, but you have to let it sit a min and then go at it…

Scott’s

Taste: - Sour apple to start with. Almost like those damn everlasting chewy candies… lots of tart, bitter apple. Dan’s is sour, this is bitter.

Dan’s

Taste – Good at first sip, then as it sits on the pallet there is a lot of sour apple. There is some earth here I do not get in Scott’s. It is definitely better, but not a juice I look forward to.

Overall Taste:

Because I was concerned about a potential bias, I let me why as these. I did not tell her they were the same of juice I did not care for. She helped nail the Sour verses bitter.

Scott’s

Finish -

Much like the taste with a touch of earth before the youth hits ya…

Dan’s

Finish – Bite and then sour and then some wet earth that lingers for a while before a medicinal alcohol flavor runs the others into the ground.

Overall – Overall

This bourbon is thin and one dimensional to me. I really have to let it sit in the glass to collect anything to get my teeth into and then the good parts last so shortly that you can miss them with the strong sour/bitter notes. The medicinal alcohol flavors are there in both and you never know which sip is going to kick you in the head with it. I would call this a full range bourbon with mystery at every turn, but it never floats into good or great flavors… really just OK to pour to not good at all and it lives in the other two areas for me.

Wow - you guys are a rough crowd. This might not be the best bourbon I've had, but I don't think it's anywhere as bad as you're making it out to be. Baby diapers? Apparently baby s**t is different than it was when my kids were babies twentysome years ago :) Yes, it's different, but I'm not going to mind finishing this bottle. If anyone wants to send me their leftovers, I'll take them (just don't pee in bottle!)

Wow - you guys are a rough crowd. This might not be the best bourbon I've had, but I don't think it's anywhere as bad as you're making it out to be. Baby diapers? Apparently baby s**t is different than it was when my kids were babies twentysome years ago :) Yes, it's different, but I'm not going to mind finishing this bottle. If anyone wants to send me their leftovers, I'll take them (just don't pee in bottle!)

I think the reason that there was a really harsh critique is because someone somehow managed to pick up an off bottle. spun_cookie later compared two different bottles, and determined that the one he initially tasted was, for whatever reason, contaminated with disposable diaper. Perhaps someone has a sense of humor that puts fishnbowljoe and BBQ+Bourbon to shame, I'm not sure.

On another site Mike Veach gave 6 different bottles he's had a thumbs up and recommends the current OF B-Day bottling. He stated that it is far from "one dimensional" as someone put it and has good complexity. Don't let one bad bottle sway your decision on buying this expression. It is still a bourbon bargain at the $32 a bottle I got it for.

I finally had a chance to give the 09 a good tasting. I can see what some people might not like about it. There is very little of the candy notes that many bourbons, and even typical Old Forester, exhibit. It's slightly bitter with what I characterize as a dry wood note. It is 12-years-old and in some ways tastes older. It definitely leans toward the herbal side of the bourbon taste wheel.

One thing I like about the Birthday Bourbon series is that it's always different, sometimes very different. That's not what producers usually do. Even something like Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage strives for some continuity from year to year. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon doesn't. What Chris Morris is going for, I think, is more of a "that's interesting" reaction.

I'm not saying the people who dislike it are wrong, it's not for everyone, but I would hate for someone to be scared away from it because it got so many negative reviews here.

It's too bad. I loved the 2007 and was really hoping to jump on another good bottle of whiskey this go around. Guess I'll just put more coin down on the BTACs.

...It is still a bourbon bargain at the $32 a bottle I got it for.

If it were $32 here, I'd go ahead and sample, and probably still may even though I'm not an Old Forester fan. It's $42 in my neck o' the wood, Virginia.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.