Old Forester 2009 B-Day Bourbon

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finally had a chance to give the 09 a good tasting. I can see what some people might not like about it. There is very little of the candy notes that many bourbons, and even typical Old Forester, exhibit. It's slightly bitter with what I characterize as a dry wood note. It is 12-years-old and in some ways tastes older. It definitely leans toward the herbal side of the bourbon taste wheel.
Does this year's OFBB have a maroon ribbon & label? If so, Dr. Entropy brought some over for me to taste & I liked it very much. I don't typically like Old Forester & "herbal" is probably my least favorite quality in a whiskey, but this was a very good, but not particularly remarkable, whiskey. It is definitely the best B-F product I've had and if it's truly $32 or so, I'll probably buy some if I see it.

Does this year's OFBB have a maroon ribbon & label? If so, Dr. Entropy brought some over for me to taste & I liked it very much. I don't typically like Old Forester & "herbal" is probably my least favorite quality in a whiskey, but this was a very good, but not particularly remarkable, whiskey. It is definitely the best B-F product I've had and if it's truly $32 or so, I'll probably buy some if I see it.

Yeah, kinda maroonyish. Sorta the color of the booze inside. I think the big ID'er of the 2009 is that small oval label you see above the main label. There on the middle-partish, slopey, "shoulder",...t'aint...part of the bottle. I don't recall seeing a label there in previous years.

Two folks on the site sent me samples of 2009 OFBB... and wow their bottles are different to me.... however.... :rolleyes:

Here is the side by side (round one, initial thoughts)

Bottle 1 - Watery, lacking flavohis is the infamous "baby diaper" bottle. I get the baby diaper taste in the finish, but it's light. Just enough to be slightly off. Either way, not impressive bourbon to me. I would be bummed if I paid $20 for the bottle.

Bottle 2 - Thin, no real bourbon frs, then boom a short, hot finish with light plastic taste lingering behind. Tlavor at first, then wham a hit of cherry. Not good cherry, but cherry that made me think of cough syrup. Before I could see where it was going, it got very hot and sharp, then overwhelming plastic. Enough it made me have a weird face... more "baby diaper" then the other sample.

I'm going to wait an hour or so, then see where it's at for another small taste. I'm not trying to be a jerk if anyone likes it... it just doesn't hit what I'm looking for in bourbon, and that weird plastic taste on the back in creeps me out a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing around with this again, this evening. I continue to not find any "off" flavor to it. I still get the nose and initial flavor of dried flowers...maybe violets?...The big alcohol hit I reported in an earlier post is much lessened. A good airing out has benefitted, no doubt...A little mediciney...Along with the flowery aroma, maybe, this is where some get a baby diaper thing?.... Dunno...This certainly is a dry bourbon...With, definitely an Old Forester backbone...The more I go to this, the more I like it. It is distinct. And, maybe it's just that distinctness that doesn't work for some. That's cool. But, there's nothing "off" or "bad" to this bourbon, notwithstanding the possibility of a tainted bottle out there. All in all, where I originally didn't think this was one of OF's best offerings in the series, now that I've worked it, it is climbing up my favorite ladder. This is not a bourbon for quick impressions. This is not your typical expression of our favorite spirit. Not all sweet, and corn, and thick. If you're on the fence on this, and you don't mind going outside the mainstream in Bourbonia, I suggest you give it a try.

Dare I say that this is my fave after the 2002? Though, they are two Totally different beasts.

I've been playing around with this again...

Dammit Joe I opened my bottle last night and was going to writing something like that! But you wrote it much better than I could have anyway.:grin:

I've never had the 2002, but the favorites of the ones I've had are the 2007 & 2008. The 2009 is so different I don't think it really compares to those two at all. I did get a soft sweet floral scent in the nose that could be interpreted as a plastic smell, but it faded pretty quickly for me. Nice wood on the finish too.

Anyway, I likes it.

I've never had the 2002, but the favorites of the ones I've had are the 2007 & 2008. The 2009 is so different I don't think it really compares to those two at all. I did get a soft sweet floral scent in the nose that could be interpreted as a plastic smell, but it faded pretty quickly for me. Nice wood on the finish too. Anyway, I likes it.

I had a similar experience but in the end preferred the 2007 and 2008 to the 2009.

Bought a bottle even after Hansell's review. The OFBB is hard to come by in these parts (MA) and have enjoyed them in the past. No off notes detected in my bottle. Really full flavored, dry and woody but not as in a bad way. Quite bold flovors on the palate, yrmv. Certainly not my favorite of the OFBB, but variety is the spice of life.

variety is the spice of life.

Well Said!

I went back and forth on the first of 3 bottles of '09 OFBB. First not liking it, then liking it, and I think back and forth a good half dozen times. I can only hope I can ponder the same over the next 2 bottles. I do have an '08 to compare with the last '09 though. It'll be a while for a review though.

I've always valued the OFBBs because they have such unique character. Not necessarily the best bourbon out there, but always unique.

I wonder how the '09 will change as it oxidizes. I remember hating the '04 when I first opened it but after a few months it lost its unpleasant notes (lots of white pepper) and I loved it.

Anyone have a similar experience with the '09, i.e., significant improvement by sitting open for an extended period?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.