Eagle Rare 17 - Why?

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Okay, I know we've gone over this before, but I have to ask again - what's the draw of the ER17?

Maybe it's flavor profiling that makes the difference (and I liked last year just fine -- black tea & cream was my assessment), but shouldn't the Eagle Rare 17 & the Stagg be almost exactly the same thing? Same mashbill & with the Stagg at 16yr 7 mos. they are virtually the same age (not to mention the Stagg is non-chill filtered -- or rather, not filtered) . . . it's true, BT could dump some much older barrels in the ER17 since 17yrs is the minimum, but I don't get it.

Many think that the ER17 was the best last year (my buddy, Dr. Entropy for one) when they were all taken down to 90 proof, but so what? I only went barrel proof this year because I like 'em better and I just don't see the point of paying the same price for 36% less of (what I imagine must be) virtually the same whiskey.

Believe me, I'm not getting down on the Eagle Rare or those who love it, but help me understand the attraction here.

My impression is that Eagle Rare 17 is whiskey that doesn't quite meet up to the quality of Stagg. If the whiskey at this age doesn't make the cut for Stagg it gets mixed and watered down. Still great whiskey obviously but just not good enough to be bottled as Stagg.

I might have discussed this with someone of authority but I cannot remember for sure so just take it simply as my opinion.

My impression is that Eagle Rare 17 is whiskey that doesn't quite meet up to the quality of Stagg. If the whiskey at this age doesn't make the cut for Stagg it gets mixed and watered down. Still great whiskey obviously but just not good enough to be bottled as Stagg.

I might have discussed this with someone of authority but I cannot remember for sure so just take it simply as my opinion.

I wouldn't doubt that, but I'm still curious as to why whiskey "not as good as Stagg" would be watered down and sold for the same price. Your theory makes it seem even more outlandish to me.

When I first started drinking bourbon ER17 was my BTAC of choice as I really liked the ER 10/90 and wanted something a little "smoother" then the standard edition. The thought of drinking something at "140+" proof was insane to me...I still haven't opened any of my barrel proof bourbons but I will...eventually! I didn't know that you could "cut" a bourbon down to get it to your desired proof and flavor...now that I know that I wouldn't be purchasing anything other then GTS or WLW from the BTAC collection. I have a Saz 18 in the bunker but I haven't tried that either so I don't know if Rye whiskeys are for me. In short, I'm in your camp now but I can see the other camp as well.

Remember ER17 is a carry over from the original BTAC, when all three offerings were actually old (17,18,19yo) and were all at 90 proof. There were no 6yo whiskies being sold as "antique". Of all the BTAC, ER17 is the most balanced, graceful whiskey to be had; however, it is not one that is going to kick you in the face with tons of proof and a "unique" flavor (or is that an off note?)

ER17 will get lost in a crowd of over proof, over oaked, over whatever whiskies, but when the dust settles, it will never fail to provide a very satisfying bourbon experience. If cost was the only thing that mattered, we'd all be drinking Calvert Extra.

Hey Hectic, did you know that ER 10/101 is not the same whiskey as ER17 and/or ERSB?

While tasting some ER 10/101 I concluded that it is now being used in GTStagg and the 2 new ER's are different whiskeys.

I voiced my opinion about this to a BT Rep and he just smiled and said that I have a good palate.

While tasting some ER 10/101 I concluded that it is now being used in GTStagg and the 2 new ER's are different whiskeys.

I voiced my opinion about this to a BT Rep and he just smiled and said that I have a good palate.

Wow. That is very interesting to know. I love ER 10/101 but haven't opened my GTStagg from last year, so guess what I'll be drinking tonight?

Wow. That is very interesting to know. I love ER 10/101 but haven't opened my GTStagg from last year, so guess what I'll be drinking tonight?
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Post with the results, let us know what you think.

Hey Hectic, did you know that ER 10/101 is not the same whiskey as ER17 and/or ERSB?

I did know that...fishbowljoe told me that a couple months ago...he said that if I couldn't find ER 101 that I could just cut my GTS to 101 proof and I would essentually have ER 101 as it's the same mash bill. I'm trying to work my way through some of the open bottles on my bar before I open anymore. Has anyone compared the 2008 GTS to the 2009 GTS?

Remember ER17 is a carry over from the original BTAC, when all three offerings were actually old (17,18,19yo) and were all at 90 proof. There were no 6yo whiskies being sold as "antique". Of all the BTAC, ER17 is the most balanced, graceful whiskey to be had; however, it is not one that is going to kick you in the face with tons of proof and a "unique" flavor (or is that an off note?)

ER17 will get lost in a crowd of over proof, over oaked, over whatever whiskies, but when the dust settles, it will never fail to provide a very satisfying bourbon experience. If cost was the only thing that mattered, we'd all be drinking Calvert Extra.

But the Stagg is almost 17 years old and from the same mashbill, right? Shouldn't they be pretty much the same if you water the Stagg down to 90?

I did know that...fishbowljoe told me that a couple months ago...he said that if I couldn't find ER 101 that I could just cut my GTS to 101 proof and I would essentually have ER 101 as it's the same mash bill. I'm trying to work my way through some of the open bottles on my bar before I open anymore. Has anyone compared the 2008 GTS to the 2009 GTS?

Yep. Oscar's the one that told me that. Enjoy, I know I did one night. :grin: Joe

But the Stagg is almost 17 years old and from the same mashbill, right? Shouldn't they be pretty much the same if you water the Stagg down to 90?

Barrel selection, barrel selection, barrel selection!!!

If you look at last year's (2008) data sheets for GTS and ER17, you'll see that the barrels came from different floors of some of the same warehouses. 2005, 2006 and 2007 completely different warehouses. What warehouse and what floor makes a huge difference in the final flavour profile of the spirit. Anywhere from 60-80% of the flavor of aged spirits come from the barrel and the aging, a percentage that gets higher as they get older.

Oscar, I had some ER101 the other day and kept in mind about it being similar to GTS. I'm going to agree with you, and they are very similar. I do think though the GTS feels more "fresh" with the ER101 having a bit more musty/earthy/etc (in a very good way) taste to it. This could also be due to the date/location of the ER101.

A 101 proof GTS from 08 could pass as a new version of ER101 though... I would have to have more ER101 to tell. Side by side I could pick out which was which without a problem, but if you bottled 101 GTS as new ER101 it could pass. It's sure a hell of a lot more similar then things like old old fitz and new old fitz.

Okay. So what is the best way to bring my Stagg down to 101 proof? Not the whole bottle obviously, just a bit of it.

I personally see a need for it. I absolutely ADORE my higher proof bourbons, but if I just want an easy drinking, but still mildly contemplative spirit -- I grab my Eagle Rare 17. It has great balance and shouts quality despite it's low proof - something I don't find easy to find in other brands/releases. I will always opt to spend on the better year releases of this stuff because I know I will drink it on certain nights when I'm just not in the mood for the 'big stuff'.

IIRC, at one time early in the BTAC, the whiskies used for both GTS and ER17 were identical mashbills and both were originally made for the "Cream Of Kentucky" brand. The difference ... barrels not in the same warehouse...

Isn't that BT's philosophy?

After reading some of the reviews here, I was going to pass on this years bottling. However, after taking some BTAC samples to bowling tonight, it looks like I'm gonna have to get an 09 ER 17 too. There's just something about ER 17 that just hit's me the right way. (Might have something to do with my love of all bourbons Eagle and Weller) The combination of the nose and taste is wonderful IMHO. The GTS and WLW take the cake when it comes to the high proof, in your face, full flavored, special occasion bourbons. But, if you want something more laid back, yet still full of flavor and richness, I think the ER 17 is the way to go. It's like Kate mentioned. Sometimes a person isn't in the mood for the "big stuff". I think the ER 17 falls in the ""tweener" category. That nice little niche between everyday pours, and extra special occasion pours. Not everyday, not super special, but still special in a different sort of way. Joe

I have always described the ER17 as the most balanced bourbon I have tasted. You could give it to a 5 yr old and they would enjoy it.

I have always described the ER17 as the most balanced bourbon I have tasted. You could give it to a 5 yr old and they would enjoy it.

My birthday is coming up next week; I'll be 5! Please send ER 17.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.