Eagle Rare 17 - Why?

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There's just something about ER 17 that just hit's me the right way. The combination of the nose and taste is wonderful IMHO. The GTS and WLW take the cake when it comes to the high proof, in your face, full flavored, special occasion bourbons. But, if you want something more laid back, yet still full of flavor and richness, I think the ER 17 is the way to go. Sometimes a person isn't in the mood for the "big stuff". I think the ER 17 falls in the ""tweener" category. That nice little niche between everyday pours, and extra special occasion pours. Not everyday, not super special, but still special in a different sort of way. Joe

Well said, Big Joe. I couldn't have put it better myself. A mood for every bourbon and a bourbon for every mood.:grin:

I agree with Joe's post now that he has shed the shades for me! Thanks Joe as I now once again cherish the ER17's that I have in the bunker...I was about to give them to you! :D

All good points, dudes, thanks. I lost insight for a few moments there, but I know where y'all are coming from.

I figured, of course, it would come down to barrel selection and that many probably regard the ER17 & Stagg as having different flavor profiles. I think there is quite a bit of variation in that particular mashbill from BT: I'm not much of fan of the ERSB 10/90, but really like the BT Flagship & the Stagg and think they all taste quite a bit different. My favorite home for ER17 last year, though, was vatted in a glass of ERSB 10/90 -- that was a nice combination.

A 101 proof GTS from 08 could pass as a new version of ER101 though....

Yeah, that '08 Stagg was great, I think I still have one more, you peaked my interest.

Okay. So what is the best way to bring my Stagg down to 101 proof? Not the whole bottle obviously, just a bit of it.

The proof calculator works great, but this '09 Stagg is real good around 125 proof and that would be about 8 to 1.

I have always described the ER17 as the most balanced bourbon I have tasted. You could give it to a 5 yr old and they would enjoy it.

Wade answered the one above with the one below.

My birthday is coming up next week; I'll be 5! Please send ER 17.

:slappin: Good one Wade! :slappin:

Wade abswered the one above with the one below.

abswered? Sounds like you've got a cold. A Stagg Hot Toddy should fix you right up.:lol:

answered? Sounds like you've got a cold. A Stagg Hot Toddy should fix you right up.:lol:

Don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.:rolleyes:

Those Stagg Hot Toddy's work quick!:slappin:

must be because it's so over proofed, over oaked, over whatevered . . .

:slappin:

I've generally enjoyed the ER17s... with the exception of one (2005 or 2006?, I can't remember) which was horribly over-oaked.

I've generally enjoyed the ER17s... with the exception of one (2005 or 2006?, I can't remember) which was horribly over-oaked.

wouldn't have been 05, I found that year pretty enjoyable...

• 3 weeks later...

I've enjoyed the ER17, I find it smooth and quite pleasant but just too watered down for my tastes. It would be outstanding at 100+ proof. At 90, I won't be buying too much of it, I still have 2 from last year's collection.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.