Favorite Distilery

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What's Your Favorite Distillery?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Distillery?

• Barton
    • Buffalo Trace
    • Brown-Forman
    • Jim Beam
    • A. Smith Bowman
    • Four Roses
    • Heaven Hill
    • Wild Turkey
    • Willett's (Evan Kulsven)
    • Maker's Mark
    • George Dickle

I voted for Wild Turkey. It was a toss-up between it and Buffalo Trace. While BT has the Stagg as well as many other fine premium and single-barrel bourbons, they also have a couple of bottom shelf brands (i.e. Ancient Age). Wild Turkey on the other hand makes no bourbon that should ever be only 6 inches from the floor. Even the 80 proof expression has merit. It goes without saying how good their premium bottling are. Just my 2 cent tongue.gif

I voted for Buffalo Trace, and it was a toss up with Wild Turkey. My vote was probably influenced by today's arrival of The Stagg! There's no disputing the quality of Wild Turkey products: I love Wild Turkey's Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve, but I'm happy with the trend at Buffalo Trace to heed to our interests and desire to try things like The Stagg. Also involved in my vote is BT's relationship with Van Winkle's products which I've begun to enjoy very much over the last couple of months.

Bob

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Solid reasoning gentlemen, and it shows in the vote tally. Wild Turkey leads by comfortable margin while Buffalo Trace is firmly in second place. All of the rest of the distilleries are tied for either third or last place. Very interesting indeed. Anyone else care to comment?

Just to throw a wrench in the works it seems, I chose Heaven Hill. All the other choices (Wild Turkey especially, and to a lesser extent, Buffalo Trace) are great, but I really enjoy the HH mashbill. Plus I like the idea that (as far as I know) it is not owned by some huge beverage conglom. While its tough to choose, that is what put it over the top for me.

Tom (loves the Little Guy) C

I think thats enough said! grin.gif I was torn between those two, and Brown-Forman would be my distinct third. See ya, H'wood cool.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Also involved in my vote is BT's relationship with Van Winkle's products which I've begun to enjoy very much

I thought about that, but for some reason I can't equate the two. I still tend to think of the Van Winkle whiskeys as a product of the Vanwinkles, not BT. But I guess that says something about BT, to know enough about who to associate with smile.gif

Tom,

You were the one person to vote negative on the Stagg poll and now this mad.gif Go with the flow man, come on...everybody's doing it ooo.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Actually Tom If voteing for the little guy matter's then A. Smith Bowman should have gotten your vote or the smallest player in the bourbon market - Charles Wathen Medley. As much as I love Wathen's I just can't believe I left Charlie's distillery off the survey. Dumb. As to family owned distilleries goes the Goldring's own Buffalo Trace and the Brown's are in full control of Brown-Forman. I voted for Buffalo Trace as they are deffinately leading the way into the future of bourbon bringing out new and exciting brands at fairly reasonable prices considering the ultra-high quality of the products. The very fact that Julian would associate himself and the Van Winkle name with Buffalo Trace is not just a bottom line what's in it for me business deal. It speaks volumes to the great strides that have been made at this distillery. cool.gif

While BT is my favorite, HH holds a favored spot in my heart. Like you, I do like their mashbill and I love EWSB both for the flavor and the value.

Then there are the sentimental reasons. First, my grandfather always had a bottle of HH on the kitchen counter. He had a shot every night after dinner. Second, BettyeJo! Her participation here is priceless. She lets us peek into the history of the industry. She gives us a great perspective and personalizes it. We see that this is not just some yellowed history text book and old photos, but a rich, warm, family history provided by a member of the family. Fantastic.

Here's a peek into my reasoning. I voted for Jim Beam, because it is the one I see everyday. I'm getting close to home when it comes in view. The question was pick a favorite distillery, If I were to choose the best and favorite products BT would be way out front. Brown Forman is another good one. I think Heaven Hill has a great future .

I remember reading where Booker said they'd been making Whiskey the same way for 200 years and they didn't want to mess with that. I think it's good to pay homage to the past. When I look at Jim Beam at Clermont I always think they could make the finest whiskey in the world there. They have a great physical plant, they have good water, everything is present. It just isn't happening there. They make a few good ones. Most of what they make is 4 year old , who cares if you drink it with Coke Bourbon. They have yet to create a stir like Stagg. I'd gladly eat these words the day they do something like that. I can't help but think it's already on that hill somewhere, They just need to follow those loose bungs! I've got one or 2 of each of the small batch, I'll probably never own the Distillers Masterpiece. BT will get money from me , BF will on Sept 2, HH will eventually get more especially when their new ones come on. Can't have too much Wathens. grin.gif

or the smallest player in the bourbon market - Charles Wathen Medley. As much as I love Wathen's I just can't believe I left Charlie's distillery off the survey. Dumb.

Nope, sorry I am a bit of a loaner.

BTW: I WANT a bottle of Stagg quite a bit, I just dunno if it is worth the effort, and cost (the price of the bottle plus a trip to KY to get it) it would take to enjoy it. I take solace in the face that it is being enjoyed by other mindful bourbonic enthusiasts such as yourself.

cool.gif TomC cool.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself Linn, and it is for the same reasons Buffalo Trace got my vote. I appreciate that they come out with new exceptional products, even if in very limited quantities, for us enthusiasts to enjoy. And they do this, just as Linn said, without raping people pricewise such as some other brands on new and limited releases. Also persuading me was the joint venture that Julian has set forth with Buffalo Trace. I have personally been happy with every product offered by BT and urge them to keep up the great work and especially future releases for enthusiasts such as ourselves.

I remember reading where Booker said they'd been making Whiskey the same way for 200 years and they didn't want to mess with that.

I agree with that, Bobby. When I started out, maybe about 1969, Wild Turkey (what we call 101, now, I think it was 8-yr old, then) was the super premium. There may have been a couple of others. Old Forester was reasonably premium. Old Grand Dad, Rebel Yell, and Old Crow were considered to be "good" bourbons (they may have been, for all I know) and they had premium ads in slick magazines.

Even in those days, Early Times was considered to be cheap, but at least it was Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, then.

I do remember some bottom shelf brands from those days, such as Old Hickory. Very cheap, but drinkable.

Damn, I'm old. smirk.gif

Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Dennis's site is down right now, but I've been there and was gererally unimpressed. As I am the undisputed master of the incomplete thought, I should have named this thread "Who is your favorite Distiller". I expect Bourbonians to know that Brown-Forman is; Jack Daniels, Early Times, Old Forester, L&G's Woodford Reserve, and Southern Comfort. Likewise I expect Bourbonians to know that Heaven Hill has a ton of labels, and is D/B/A (Doing Business As) Evan Williams; Elija Craig, Henry McKenna, Old Whistle Stop, ect, ect. Sure I could have listed five thousand non-exisistant ditilleries, but the results would have come out the same. Wild Turkey is #1 and Buffalo Trace is #2. I think Maker's Mark has taken the #3 spot. Everyone else is either tied for #4 or last place. Take your pick. Pick your nits as you will - this thread stands tall on it's own merits (whatever they may be). wink.gif

In the mid 60s Old Crow outsold Jim Beam, not by much but still was on top. I don't see many people crying for it to return to its' glory days. In my travels to flea markets and Heartland Decanters , I see all kinds of things, Old Crow. They had at one point an entire set of Chess pieces , all 750ml or 4/5 quart, I didn't check them that good. So if you wanted the whole set you better like your Old Crow. They put out some nice things over the years and I think one could get them at depressed prices. Who wants this stuff now? Old Crow now is just a Dog and Cat label at JimBeam. It says on the back label," Aged for a full 3 years in new , charred White Oak Barrels"! I suppose that if it continues its' fall from grace , we might expect to see, " Grain neutral Spirits with Color and Flavor added"!

I remember in the 70s when I first stated my travels in the liquor stores. Wild Turkey was number 1 and Maker's Mark was number 2 on the top shelf and in price. For a brief time George Dickel was in the number 1 spot, not for long , but it was there.

Linn-My favorite distillery (I think) since I only get one vote is Heaven Hill. Not because it is all that great and only a few of it's bourbons is to my liking, but I do indeed like Parker Beam and the owner. They have always replied to all my questions, but the main reason it is still privately owned and I like that.

To all-a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and may all the bourbon you drink be great.

Cheers,

Marvin

Since you already know my favorite distillery, I should mention that I am a big fan of Jimmy Russell. I should also mention that Buffalo Trace is owned by a sole individual. I have been trying, unsuccessfully thus far, to find out if he has a daughter!

Ken

Holy Cow! I had no idea that Buffalo Trace was owned by one individual. Let me re-phrase my statement. No question about it, Buffalo Trace, One Owner? Unbelievable! By the way, you have to look pretty hard to find bourbon as good as George T. Stagg, which is what I am drinking right now, neat of course.

Cheers,

Marvin

>In reply to: "By the way, you have to look pretty hard to find bourbon as good as George T. Stagg"

All I can say is DITTO! Keep them coming Ken!

Tonight I went into Long's Drugs to buy some beer, and as usual, I cruised down the liquor aisle just to see if there were any decent sales going on.

The hard liquor department had been mauled ... it was almost humorous. But what had happened to the whiskey section was a bit different than the results of this poll. I think it gives you some idea of how different from the general bourbon sucking public we are.

The JD had been wiped out, followed by Beam products (but the small batch line appeared to be fully stocked.) After that, the Makers Mark spot had 3 bottles left. The HH and WT products hadnt really been touched.

The good news? Their entire scotch stash appeared to be intact!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.