Evan Williams SB

Dutchie66
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In what year started Evan Williams selling their Single Barrel.

And did they bring out a new bottling every year or did they skip some years.

If I'm not mistaken, the first year was the 1986, which they released in 1995. They have not missed a year, as far as I know.

Shoppers Vineyard has the 2000 (Malt Advocate Rating: 95pts)

on sale for $23.00. They recently redesigned their website so

existing or new customers have to create a new account but as

a thank you they give a coupon code, vc5 for 5% off your next

order.

A few years ago, when Heaven Hill wanted to do a vertical tasting, even they couldn't find a 1986 and the only 1987 they could find was on display in someone's office.

A few years ago, when Heaven Hill wanted to do a vertical tasting, even they couldn't find a 1986 and the only 1987 they could find was on display in someone's office.

Wow.....you would think they would have kept a number of each issue..??? I have wondered this in the past.....is it normal for a distillery/company to retain samples/bottles of unique or series bottles such as EWSB? I guess in terms of HH, they could have lost some of the early ones in the fire.

Not a very hopeful message, Chuck.

Just remembered this video.

http://vimeo.com/7318754

I was not sure if the '86 was the first bottle or just the earliest they could find. Thanks for clearing that out.

I'm gonna order the '88.

The fire didn't affect any offices or anywhere finished goods samples would have been. If I remember correctly, the lab is in the office building, it wasn't in the distillery building, so it wasn't harmed either.

All distilleries regularly pull reference samples. I've seen what look like libraries but instead of books, the shelves are lined with bottles. Typically it's 500 ml flask-type bottles with a simple printed label. That's what they keep and not a collection of off-the-bottling-line finished production bottles.

They do this so they have references to ensure consistency for future batches, which really doesn't apply to a single barrel bottling.

When the first EWSB was released, it was just something they were trying. They didn't know if it would catch on. They didn't even know if they would do it again the next year, let alone for the next 15. They kind of kicked themselves for not keeping more of them, but you're in the business to sell the stuff, not sock it away.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

Wow.....you would think they would have kept a number of each issue..??? I have wondered this in the past.....is it normal for a distillery/company to retain samples/bottles of unique or series bottles such as EWSB?...

I don't know about distilleries, but one must realize these guys consider it a biz to sell, and keeping things for posterity isn't always good for biz. They move it out, it's a product. Members here are more concerned with collections and taste comparisons, the biz guys are concerned with producing quality product and moving it. Sure, flavor consistency from one year to the next for brand recognition is important for some labels, but that's for one year to the next year or three, not necessarily for decades down the road.

• 1 month later...

Btw, I have an open 1988 bottling, still about 3/4 full. Actually I can't remember when I opened it but it must have been a couple of years ago.

Anyway.

Tonight I decided to have a dram. Surprisingly this was probably the mildest bourbon I ever drank. Very malty and sweet, almost liqueur-ish. Very tasty though. Quite charming. This would be a nice appetizer.

Is this a typical Evan Williams SB or has the whiskey simply lost some alcohol over the years?

Best from Germany

Ekki

• 4 weeks later...

I received an e-mail the EWSB is offering custom labels:

A preference for Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage Bourbon

has always made a special statement about your appreciation

of fine American whiskey, but now your bottle can say something

more specific—whether you’re giving it or pouring it yourself.

Like “Happy Father’s Day, Dad!â€, “Pour yourself a Happy Birthday,

Joe!â€, “Distilled especially for Marilyn Jones!†Maybe even, “Ask

you doctor if Bourbon is right for you.†(Well, maybe not that one.)

For a limited time, we’ll send you a custom-printed, die-cut,

stick-on label that features your personal message. It will fit

precisely over the existing label so the bottle will look like it

just rolled off the bottling line. Not only will you be able to

share one of America’s truly great Single Barrel Bourbons,

but you—and your friends—can enjoy a smile as you celebrate

the moment.

link - may have to sign in.

I like that. "Ask your doctor if your heart is strong enough for bourbon. If you have continuous bourbon for more than four hours, seek immediate medical help to avoid long-term injury.

"In rare instances, men drinking bourbon have reported a sudden decrease or loss of vision or hearing. It is not possible to determine whether these events are related directly to bourbon or to other factors. If you experience sudden decrease or loss of vision or hearing, stop drinking and call a doctor right away."

Ekki, There's a fair amount of variation from one year to the next in the flavor, which is not surprising given EWSB is just that, a single barrel. I have not tried different barrels from the same year back-to-back to see how much difference there exists within a given year's release, but it would be interesting. What you describe about the '88 does not sound typical to me.

I've had a lot of the different EWSBs, and enjoyed them all. Right now I have a bottle of the current release, the 2000, open, and a bottle of the 1994. While both are excellent, I prefer the '94. The 2000 has mint, wild honey, some licorice and orange candy, although it's not too sweet overall; the finish is somewhat dry to me. No harsh notes. The '94 is meatier, with more body and a longer finish. Raisins and spice complement the HH minty-ness. I get coconut in there too. Very complex and well-rounded. It seems to me it has more rye than some vintages.

I read an article in one of the whisk(e)y magazines that did a year-by-year comparison of all the EWSB releases, but I can't remember where. I think I still have it and I'll post the reference if I find it, but again, they described a lot of variation across vintages.

I read an article in one of the whisk(e)y magazines that did a year-by-year comparison of all the EWSB releases, but I can't remember where. I think I still have it and I'll post the reference if I find it, but again, they described a lot of variation across vintages.

Malt Advocate has reviews of the last 10 years (no 1991) if you'd like to

check there for some notes.

Also, the EW website has a bit of info regarding awards and reviews for

the same span.

I'm a little curious about the variation between barrels for the same year for the EWSB.

I'm a little curious about the variation between barrels for the same year for the EWSB.

That might be interesting. Many of the MA reviews are

from "barrel # 1" so the note they supply may differ from

what you might sample.

I was surprised to see barrel #246 or so on the shelf last weekend. It would be interesting read and give reviews for specific barrels of the EWSB 2000.

I really like the EWSB and have tried, as I can find them, to pick up as many different years as possible. Maybe later I can/will do a comparison of them together, who knows.

As a side note I found several 94 vintage EWSB at a store this weekend. They has several, so if anyone is interested in these, let me know. I can give directions or make other arrangements for you.

Jim

I too have a collection of various years of EWSB. I'm just waiting for the right tasting opportunity to compare them. Not this weekend, though!

Shopping at a local store today I was surprised to see

a bottle of EWSB 1995 on the shelf. It was priced the

same as the few 1998s and 2000s that were beside it

so I grabbed it up. Bonus was that it was Bottled

Especially for the Premier Group so I guess I got real

lucky with this one!

Before you ask, I already had a few other items in the

cart so I didn't bother to ask if they had any more hiding

in the back. Good enough reason for a return trip!

John Hansell reviewed Barrel #1, as silverfish noted, which Hansell rated at 95. My bottle is #204, which I like a lot, but no way I'd give it a 95.

It would be very interesting to put #s 1, 204 & 246 side-by-side in a tasting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.