Evan Williams SB

Dutchie66
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

John Hansell reviewed Barrel #1, as silverfish noted, which Hansell rated at 95. My bottle is #204, which I like a lot, but no way I'd give it a 95.

It would be very interesting to put #s 1, 204 & 246 side-by-side in a tasting.

I didn't pick up that #246. I was hoping for barrel #1 but I'm guessing now that the odds are slim of finding one. I'm also guessing that there is a good amount of variation between barrels. My next bourbon purchase will be EWSB 2000 at any rate.

I picked up a EWSB 2000 hand selected by Binny's bottling yesterday, which is Barrel No. 214. I choose this one, over another Barrel No. they also had, just based on three extra months of barrel age. On my limited tasting I'm impressed and agree at least on description with everything that Mr. Hansell said about Barrel No. 1. Refined, elegant, understated and totally balanced all apply. I could see where many would find this the best bourbon they ever tasted. For me, I might think I climbed up that hill to heaven, if this were available at barrel strength or even 50% abv.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped at the Virginia ABC store on the way home, and they had a surprisingly large selection of different barrels. I may have this wrong as I'm going off of memory, but I think they had #91, 106, 108, 246, and 257.

I bought the 108 for no particular reason, but I'm glad I did. I need to do a blind tasting with the #204 I already own, but I think I like barrel #108 better than #204. First impression is that it's richer, fuller bodied and rounded, with more caramel.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a 2000 yesterday - barrel #428. I had a Tequila and some popcorn tonight before I decided I didn't want to wait any longer to try this so I my tasting may be affected by that. Despite that, I smelled at first cherries then like honey and there is a flavor there that is hard to identify but it is cereal-ish to me and very good. I have a very good overall impression of this Bourbon.

I picked up a 2000 yesterday - barrel #428. I had a Tequila and some popcorn tonight before I decided I didn't want to wait any longer to try this so I my tasting may be affected by that. Despite that, I smelled at first cherries then like honey and there is a flavor there that is hard to identify but it is cereal-ish to me and very good. I have a very good overall impression of this Bourbon.

I really botched things yesterday. My tasting usually is sharpest when I first open a bottle and have a taste during the weekend. I tasted this today and I didn't get that brief hint of cherries right off and I can't easily identify any of the smells or tastes. BUT, the smoothness (the lack of harshness) and the excellent taste is plain as day. I haven't been drinking much Bourbon lately. It's been more beer, Scotch and Tequila but this bottle could change that.

I found a store that has some bottles from barrel #18. I grabbed a bottle to bunker. I currently have bottles from #108 and #204 open.

Most of what I'm seeing on the shelves now is 376 and the 400s.

• 2 months later...

I picked up two bottles of 1998 today. I know the '98 didn't get

high marks from everyone but there were four on the shelf and I

didn't have any from that year so I grabbed a couple.

That makes four years in the collection and I only started buying 'em in '99!

• 3 weeks later...

I opened a 1999 today. This is my first EWSB so I don't have any older brothers to compare this bottle to.

I would agree with the majority that it is very well balanced and very smooth. I get the caramel, the fruit, and a bit of a rich leather taste. My only complaint would be that the finish isn't long enough for my taste, but still an excellent value.

It was bottled on April Fool's Day 2009, so I wasn't sure if I was being set up. :confused:

A very decent pour at a value price... $18-20 in our area. It always makes a nice gift.....

$24 here, but still a good value IMO.

I received an invitation to a special unveiling of the EWSB 2001

vintage on October 16th. Does that mean we'll see it in stores

in the near future?

in the near future?

in the near future?

I received the invitation yesterday. I don't think the date will work for me regardless, but does anyone have experience with the event to tell if it is worthwhile to attend?

I received the invitation yesterday. I don't think the date will work for me regardless, but does anyone have experience with the event to tell if it is worthwhile to attend?

I'm looking forward to tasting the 2001 because this is the 'no excuses' year, after they had made the modifications to Bernheim and gotten everything working their way.

Interesting, can you elaborate on this?

After reading the Evan Williams In The Wilderness post, I'm really glad I scooped up some prior years (1996-99), along with a 2000, at a local store. I saw the 2000 up front, but behind it were a 99, 98, 97, and a 96. It definitely pays to check the back of the shelf.

Talk about dumb luck. I had no idea at the time, but the 5 bottles I picked up contained juice from 4 different distilleries. Looks like I'll have to open them all at once. When I do, I'll post up some notes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.