Favorite Gin?

RamblinWreck007
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Still no more love for Miller's. I'm telling you, folks, buy a bottle, make yourself a dry martini and thank me later. http://www.martinmillersgin.com/

I am not affiliated with these guys in anayway. I just love this gin.

Okay, Josh...you have me interested. Why is it so good? And do I want the regular or the Westbourne?

Josh, me too. Next time I buy gin, I'll get some Millers and give it a try. holiday market?

Okay, Josh...you have me interested. Why is it so good? And do I want the regular or the Westbourne?

Hmmmm. I don't know, I think the Westbourne. I got the one in the black faux-leather box. It's not listed as a botanical, but I get a lot of caraway out of this. It's just hard to pin down, but I love Martin Miller Martinis. If you buy it and don't like it, I'll drink the rest for you.:grin:

the only time I get sick, and easily, is when I drink gin. specifically, I had a friend who loves gin and tonics.

Perhaps I should have Josh throw me up a dry martini sometime...

Josh, me too. Next time I buy gin, I'll get some Millers and give it a try. holiday market?
the only time I get sick, and easily, is when I drink gin. specifically, I had a friend who loves gin and tonics.

Perhaps I should have Josh throw me up a dry martini sometime...

I've never thrown up a gin martini, but I'll give it a try for you, Erik. :lol:

Yup, it's sold at Holiday all right. Pick some up and bring the bottle to church on Wednesday Amy. :slappin:

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago, for a while it was one of my functions to make gin for the department staff. Someone had a receipt for gin and as an Organic Chemistry research lab we had almost unlimited access to Gold Shield (200 proof) alcohol it was a favorite drink of the department and at 21 I didn't much care.

Why the hell I didn't keep the receipt I'll never know.

Why the hell I didn't keep the receipt I'll never know.

That's a very valid question Will! I'm thinking I wish you still had it myself!

Tony

• 1 month later...

Bombay reg. on the rocks, but substitute Trader Joe's garlic mushrooms for the olives. Sometimes in a wild mood I use both. Makes a complete meal.:cool:

Plymouth for cocktails (e.g. a "true" martini with original Noilly Prat and Fee Bros. Orange Bitters.)

Just picked up a bottle of Knockabout Gin from Gloucester, MA. Fairly light and with a nice mix of botanicals -- I'm drinking it neat for now(!)

Nothing fancy. My wife is English and her entire family drinks Boodles British Gin (reportedly a favorite of Winston Churchill, I'm told). Although we occasionally buy Tanqueray Rangpur, Boodles is generally what's on offer in our home and it's great all summer long!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been totally diggin' on a bottle of Corsair Gin that a buddy brought back from BG, KY for me. On the rocks with a squeeze of lemon is terrific. GnT's are delicious, as well. There is a very dry element to this gin. Like the pages from an old book. Not, the spritzy juniper hit of most. I can't ID what it is, but it is very different, and I quite enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Well,

• It's grain was brought off the still at very high proof
  • It has less than 9.09% non-grain alcohol additives after distillation
  • It's aged in charred white oak barrels (not necessarily unused)
  • It states "distilled by Joseph E. Seagram & Sons"

Sounding pretty much like a Canadian Whisky?

Nope. It's.....

Seagram's Extra Dry Gin of Lawrenceburg, Indiana

Rughi, Seagram's is the gin I pick, too, when I am not buying British gin.

Tim

Rughi, Seagram's is the gin I pick, too, when I am not buying British gin.

Tim

I'm not sure it's so great, but the barrel aging (3 whole months!) is at least comforting to a whiskey drinker trying to find familiar ground in a field of fancy, herbed-up GNS.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Rughi put me on notice that I'd better quit fooling around with more cheap or pricey bottles and get Gilbeys, like she likes. It's not about about cost or variety it's about the junipers!

Roger

Seagram's was ok for a G & T. That was over 40 yrs ago...do they still make it? Back then I always wondered why it was yellow-green. Probably made from excess GNS from the blended days.

Beefeater was always my favorite..distinct taste. Regular Bombay is also good.

Beefeater was always my favorite..distinct taste. Regular Bombay is also good.

Those are exactly my two favorites.

Tim

Nice! The possibilities for mixed drinks expands quickly:
  • Bump in the road

• Bump on a log

• Bumpy ride

• Bumpy landing

• Bumpy night

• Bump of direction (for while you closet D&Ders roll a d20)

• Colbert Bump (for imbibing with the faux news)

• Speed Bump

• Bump & Grind

• Bump on the head

Okay, I'll start:

Bump on the Head

A drink that harkens to low doorways, uneven pavement, and that party you should have left an hour earlier.

• 1 jigger "Bumpy" (Seagram's Extra Dry Gin)
  • 1/2 small tomato
  • 1 sprig of Basil
  • 7 peppercorns
  • Splash of tomato juice
  • Ice

Build in an old fashioned glass:

• Layer basil over tomato in glass, sprinkle peppercorns on top
  • Muddle vigorously, cracking peppercorns
  • Add Bumpy and ice
  • Splash with tomato juice
  • Garnish with basil

We used to play Fri. Sat. night and then Sun afternoon and I used to kick butt. I was a Fighter / Cleric with awesome powers. I could just touch you and kill you. Also owned my own Kingdom.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.