BOTM 2/10: Ezra Brooks-Ezra B 12 Year Old Single Barrel

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's getting a bit harder to come up with ideas for a BOTM. What few suggestions I've received were for bourbons that have already been BOTM. I was having a tough time picking one for this month till I received a package in the mail yesterday. I was gifted a couple of bottles of Ezra B 12 Year Old Single Barrel by a fellow SBer. Since this hasn't been BOTM before, the BOTM for this month is Ezra B 12 Year Old Single Barrel.

Putting my own two cents in here, :rolleyes: I like this bourbon. It's pretty darn tasty. Nosing this bourbon, I get some smoke. There's some smoke in the taste too, along with a bit of a medicinal alcohol/cloves flavor, and a slight cinnamon flavor that reminds me of Dentyne gum. The finish is not overpowering, but it's no pushover either. No burn, just a very satisfying warming that lingers a while, as does the taste. For me this 99 proofer hits a nice spot.

So, let's hear your opinions. Let us know what you think. Cheers, and happy posting. :grin:

I've never tried it.

It's always been my understanding that, at least since it became a David Sherman/Luxco brand, it's juice purchased from Heaven Hill. I suspect HH keeps the better 12yo stuff for themselves (putting it into EC 12), and that the Ezra wouldn't be as good as HH's own label.

Oregon prices are:

EC 12: $23.45

EB 12: $25.95

From my perspective, $26 will get me a better bourbon (EC 12) plus two Snickers bars.

I've had a few bottles, but not for a few years. It's what got me started buying the other 2 Ezra Brooks labels. I really like the OE101, as you may have noticed.

I was searching around on numerous online stores, and as usual, none that carry it, will ship to Maryland. I'm not quite sure why I can get the other 2 locally and not the SB. I've asked plenty of places.

I like this bourbon pretty well. I'll buy it occaisionally. But it's not nearly as interesting as its predecessor the 15 year old.

Craig

For the money, this is one of the best bourbons usually available at the PALCB. It probably won't be long before they close this one out. :hot:

Joe :usflag:

I really enjoy the Ezra B 12 SB, it has a very unique flavor. And no it doesn't taste anything like EC12 which I hate. So give this one a try.

So, let's hear your opinions. Let us know what you think. Cheers, and happy posting. :grin:

Honestly, I'm very surprised this one hasn't been a BotM before-- For the Money (key phrase), I have a hard time finding something I like better. Used to be 1792, before that went up in price here in PA (now about $30).

Anyway, I just bought a new bottle of this stuff. I remember doing a review a few years ago, and that the most prominent note in the nose was Butterscotch-- not just a generic caramel, but a distinctive note of Butterscotch.

In terms of texture, I believe it is quite refined. It may not have the depth and complexity of Blanton's or most of the other premium products from Frankfort, but most of them are significantly more expensive, anyway.

Seeing has how my income is down this year, thus limiting the number of BTAC and Blanton's bottles I can purchase, I think this, and Rebel Reserve (owned by Luxco, whom also owns the Ezra Brooks label), will be more frequently-renewed in my collection.

I'd echo the comments from Joe and others about Ezra B 12 Year Old Single Barrel. Wonderfully rich and complex.

Well, heck. Joe, if you "re-gift" one of those bottles to me, I'm sure I'll find something good to say about it. :lol:

The only bottling of this I have tasted is an '05. Absolutely no one in my area stocks it and the one I have is a lucky find so I doubt I will see another. This one is very good. A surprising complexity that invites another sip and a lingering finish. It's tasty, interesting and doesn't do anything wrong plus it's a great value at the $25 I paid. I'm going to miss it when it's gone and wish I could find another to replace it.

Isn't EB a bottler of other peoples juice? If so does anyone know if the '05 is from the same source as current EB12's?

The only bottling of this I have tasted is an '05. Absolutely no one in my area stocks it and the one I have is a lucky find so I doubt I will see another. This one is very good. A surprising complexity that invites another sip and a lingering finish. It's tasty, interesting and doesn't do anything wrong plus it's a great value at the $25 I paid. I'm going to miss it when it's gone and wish I could find another to replace it.

Isn't EB a bottler of other peoples juice? If so does anyone know if the '05 is from the same source as current EB12's?

I agree with the comment and I wish I could answer the question.

EB is a Luxco (David Sherman) brand, supplied and bottled by HH IIRC.

As usual, I can't "play" this game because of lack of availability. However, the last time I was in KY I got a bottle of Old Ezra #7. I thought it was great for the money. I'm sure I'd like the 12 yo even more. Maybe someday AR will repeal prohibition and I'll be able to get BOTM.

I like this bourbon pretty well. I'll buy it occaisionally. But it's not nearly as interesting as its predecessor the 15 year old.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, not much action for the current BOTM. I'll play then, ... just picked up a bottle so haven't had the chance to try it yet. Any others gonna give this a try? There really isn't a lot of information on this bourbon on this site so I hope we can all give it a good thorough testing.

I think this is one of the best value for money bourbons out there today and I recommend it highly.

No one has mentioned it but I get a light citrus thing in this one as well.

Wow, not much action for the current BOTM. I'll play then, ... just picked up a bottle so haven't had the chance to try it yet. Any others gonna give this a try? There really isn't a lot of information on this bourbon on this site so I hope we can all give it a good thorough testing.

I'm still waiting on Joe to re-gift his second bottle to me.

Well I had never bought a bottle of this before but I was able to find a bottle at state minimum today and picked one up. I enjoy the EB line quite a bit, and they all tend to be great value bourbons, especially the Old Ezra 7/101.

The Ezra B SB (mine is barrel 328, bottled Feb of 08) has the intensity of the Old Ezra but quite a bit more wood in the nose and a slightly nutty aroma, like what I get out of the Willet Pot Still bottle. Nice slow, broad legs.

On the palate is doesn't disappoint either. It's a bit hotter than expected, but has some nice caramel to go along with the wood and burn. The nutty flavor is still there, but much better balanced than in the Willet Pot Still.

Glad I picked this one up!

Yeah, I have to agree with Josh,

this ones a good un. Lots of flavor and and sweet, nutty caramel taste.

A bit of untamed raw rye burn, but nice at the same time. I put it right there with ET Lee, but sweeter, and a bit hotter and bolder. A great bourbon for the money...

Not sure I've ever seen this in the Knoxville area. If any in the area have, point me in the right direction and I'll certainly give it a try!

• 3 months later...

I liked this bourbon the minute it hit my tongue. I feel it is one of the better if not best of the rye flavor mid shelf bourbons available today. I can only speak of the 08-05 bottling that I have and find them (Have four) very enjoyable. Just a great mouth feel. almost creamy. Very respectful finish. Just plain good. Can't even think of a close competitor to it that has the same "specks" . I also have one 15yr and am looking for a back up or an occasion to crack it open. That's how fond I am of the 12yr from 2005.

Knew were there was a 09 version and went to pick it up today. My bottle is from barrel 351 on 01-09. Not even close to the 05 I had. First it was decidedly lighter in color. Upon opening the sweetness stands out. Not much wood here. Lots of Carmel like sweetness in the nose and reminded me instantly of Old Ezra 101 7y. I detect a little OF 100, like some have described as a "medicinal" taste. Not near the finish probably due to the absence of the fine oak finish the other had. I can only assume that by looking at the 05 next to my 00 15y that their taste profiles will be closer.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a bottle today at the state store. I had just eaten dinner so I'm sure that had some effect on the flavor. I just poured off a shot and started sipping. Right away the deepness of the flavor impressed me. The higher proof also appeals to me and seems to keep more of the flavor intact. I was trying to find that "Heaven Hill flavor" in it but couldn't. To me it tasted totally unique and had an excellent mouth feel and finish. I'll have to give this a few more tastings to make up my mind about it, but at this point I'm happy with it. I'm assuming this is Heaven Hill Bernheim bourbon???

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!