It's Never Too Early. . .

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Time to start thinking about BourbonFest 2003!! They have released the dates at least although there is no info about events at the Kentucky Bourbon Festival Website yet. The festival Runs from SEPTEMBER 17-21, 2003!! And from what I have been told reservations are ALREADY pouring in. We are going again this year and my parents will be joining us this time. BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Folks interested in making reservations to go to this years event should check out the Bardstown Tourism/Accomodations Site , and let me suggest staying at the Best Western General Nelson, if there is room still available. Anyway they will be updating the festival website often, so you might wanna check back!

BLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEE!

Tom (Festival-Head) C

Yep, had my reservations made since last October! The festival always runs the 3rd week of Sept from what it seems... Can't hardly wait! cool.gif

My reservation is in. No kings left. Only doubles at the General Nelson. Word is that rooms are going like hotcakes.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

But you could be too late! Don't hesitate! Make that date! I'm in like Flinn. All set and good to go! I've got the best bar and resturant in Bardstown right underneath my feet. Stone cold comfort to be sure. So who's going to surrey on down to the stone soul picnic? Marvin are you hip? How about you Bobby? Are you slidin' in on the down lo? And what about my favorite damn Yankees? Hip to the hoop shot ain't ya? Fo' Sheezey! grin.gif

Hey Linn, my Dad cant wait to meet you.(or Bobby, or boone, or Beej ect etc for that matter) laugh.giflaugh.gif . I am trying to get him to join the forum in the meanwhile. Might have to get you to smuggle in some of "the Fox" come festival time. . .

Rock On

TomC

I hope I can make it. It is so far from Clermont to Bardstown.Maybe we can find a place to have a cookout! Will it be raining this year? grin.gifcool.gifsmile.giflaugh.gifwink.giftongue.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Tom I brought three bottles of 'The Fox' last year and gave them away as presents. Nobody opened one! I'm just going to bring a damn case of the stuff as trade goods. grin.gif

I dunno what I have to offer as a trade, but I will have to try to pry one (two??) away from you somehow!!!

TomC

Linn,

I don't know if I'm one of your "favorite damn Yankees" or not, but I'm happy to say that the wife and I WILL be there this year! I'll be looking forward to meeting all of the Straight Bourbonites there! cool.gif

Bob

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Oh!, but of course you are Bob! grin.gif Start training NOW! Drink a little more each day so you be ready to handle the heavy volume and extreme diversity of bourbons available in the gazebo. We tend to drink savere. Indeed we do. Not an Olympic sport yet but an extreme sport just the same. We're looking into ESPN2 coverage. grin.gif

I'd better be one of those "favorite damn Yankees" Linn, cause I'm comin' anyway!

LOL

Tom (after Drinking with Linn, I KNOW I need training!) C

We just made our reservations at the General Nelson for the 18-21st. Snagged a King Bed room laugh.gif Tried for a couple of days to get a B&B, but to no avail. Can't wait to get there and meet everyone.

I'm hip and raring to go-staying at the Jailer's Inn again right across the alley from Linn-going to be bringing several bottles of bourbon for everyone to try while setting on the front porch, just like last year-minus the cigar. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Come on September!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes Linn I'm bringing your request. It is going to make your evening! I'm even going to bring some very good tasting glasses- see you in Bardstown.

Cheers,

Marvin

Hey Marvin,

I have it on good authority you have a very special bottle of Barton. One of a kind. If you break the seal, Pleease bring it to Kentucky.

Best,

Omar

I've set aside a (2002) OF Birthday bottle to bring to the Festival. Hopefully, we'll find the 2003, then, to compare!

That is a comparison I am itching to make, we will have to make sure to have one of our Kentucky Insiders hunt one out. . . .Bobby(??)

TomC

The general neslon is where the party's is JEFF. GAZZBO time means we have to go nowhere, everyone will be coming to US!!

ITs great!

TomC

Tom,

Based upon your recommendation, I too made reservations at the General Nelson. I didn't know that the Gazebo Party is held there tho. COOL!!!! grin.gifsmile.gif I'm looking forward to all the events, and meeting everyone. Right now, it seems like a long time before the Festival, but I gotta think..September will be here before we know it!

Bob

Tom you can bet something valuable to you that come September 2nd...................... grin.gif

But it can be too late! The Gen. Nelson is now booked solid throughout the festival.

Old Kentucky Home, across the street from the Nelson, does have a room, however. Should I stay there or would you recommend another location? Please let me know asap--lots of places are already sold out.

Many thanks.

WOW, it was just last night that I made reservations on their sight and got a King size bed. There were also about a dozen rooms available at the time. Glad I made reservations when I did. Sorry about the availability Cliff, but at this point I suggest getting a room wherever you can. You can always cancel if you find something better.

I took your advice, Jeff, and booked the 18th, 19th, and 20th at the Old Kentucky Home Motel across the street from the Gen. Nelson. I had a pleasant chat with one of the owners, Troy Beam, who's on the board of the Festival. He offerred me a peek at the still on the property! When I mentioned that many of the Forum gang were staying across the street at the Gen. Nelson, he said: "we all make mistakes!" I like the attitude. Very nice fellow and, if his tone and good cheer are any indication, we're all in for a good time enjoying the local hospitality. Looks like the 2002 Birthday Bourbon is still heading to Bardstown. Now I have to see what other packable treats are in the bunker!

I'm glad. Even tohught the accomadations are right outta the 70's ( wasnt it Bobby that said in the event of armaggeddon, you should move to KY, its 30 years behind. . . .), it is quite affordabel (read: more money for bourbon). and very convenient. The gazzbo is a great place for a party, and with all the forum memebers already staying there, a party is practically inevitable. Just mosey on over to the gazzbo any time during the festival and you are bound to find one of us there!

TomC

This is for festival newbies. The key to selecting accommodations is walking distance from Spalding Hall, which is festival central. That basically means the Talbot Tavern, the Jailer's Inn, the General Nelson and the place across the street from the General Nelson, I guess that's "My Old Kentucky Home" motel. The famous gazebo is at the General Nelson. Everyplace else requires driving, and everything that implies. If and when Bardstown becomes completely booked, the next best choice is Elizabethtown, which is a quick 15 minute drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Attn: Festival Goers!!

The Best Western Gen. Nelson has rooms available for the Festival. Even though the BW website shows it sold out and some of the Gen. Nelson reservations crew is new and unaware, there are rooms available to kind souls who call and speak directly to property manager Barbara. She apologized to me today for the misinformation provided by her staff earlier.

She has squirreled away all remaining rooms for the 18th, 19th, and 20th of September for true bourbon fans who want rooms badly enough to call her directly. She has smoking and non-smoking 2 queen bed rooms available at $75 pre tax per night. Her number is 800-225-3977 or 502-348-3977, and she is there from 8 to 3 Eastern. She tells me that Jim Beam distillery and StraightBourbon.com forum members account for most of the reservations!

Needless to say, I moved my reservation from across the street to the Nelson today. The thought of crossing against traffic by foot after a tough night of gazebo taste bud exercising was just too much to bear. Onward ho!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.