What are you drinking Spring 2010?

hectic1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last two weeks at home it's been:

Wild Turkey 101 rye

Weller 12 yo

Went to Eastern Standard last weekend and had VWFRR, Baby Saz (ES single barrel), and William Larue Weller over oysters and charcuterie. Awesome night.

I was finishing up my 4 yr Willett. I like this bottle, but I always wished it had a bit more barrel influence. I mixed my last 3 ounces with an ounce of IW harper 15/90 BHC. It was awesome !!!!

Now I wish I had another bottle of the 4 yr !!!!!:skep:

Started with BMH orange bottle NAS and now OGD114. What a fantastic pour OGD is for $20 a bottle !!!

I had Dickel 12 and bs before outdoor grilling yesterday. The barrel select tasted superior this time. After dinner I had Saz junior and Handy 2009.

Leif

In a tall collins glass with lots of cracked ice and full of Wild Turkey 101.

Hot and humid in the Mitten today and this is the perfect drink.

I had Dickel 12 and bs before outdoor grilling yesterday. The barrel select tasted superior this time. After dinner I had Saz junior and Handy 2009.

Leif

In a tall collins glass with lots of cracked ice and full of Wild Turkey 101.

Hot and humid in the Mitten today and this is the perfect drink.

I'm enjoying some Binny's select baby Saz myself tonight, watching the summer thunderstorms roll by.

Ahh it was OWA Nas on the porch after lots of hydrating.

I waited till I was done with Jarts, gotta keep on my game.

Tonight. While I was helping the wife cook supper, I had some HH 86 proof. After dinner I had a couple of pours of WTRB and currently finishing off the evening with some Bookers.

Tomorrow will ride the KY Dinner Train with a Buffalo Trace Tasting.

:grin:

I had Dickel bs before diner again yesterday and Forester BIB 1984, WT 8 export and OGD 114 after. Must say that the Tennessee whiskey did hit the spot best that evening. I hardly dare to think of how good it would be at a higher proof.

Leif

I've been trying different vattings, generally because the taste of the bourbons I'm buying recently do not appeal 100%. Exceptions: a rich almost custardy Knob Creek, and the Old Gran-dad 86 proof I got at Randy's recently, which has that indefinable orange marmalade taste I liked in the ND versions. These will stay as they are.

And so to vatting.

While initially I liked on its own VSOF 12 years old, as it sat in the bottle either it changed or I noticed things that IMO could be improved. The taste is good but the body was thinnish and the finish a little lacking. I did 3:1 this bourbon to Woodford Reserve. Generally, you add older bourbon to a larger amount of younger; here I did the reverse because it worked. The woody sappy oily WR filled out the VSOF 12, lengthened the finish and deepened the taste while retaining the malty and cherry-like notes of the latter. It's got the best of both and the oily accents of the WR, deriving I believe from its pot still element, are brought down a notch or two.

And then I took that very smooth, sweet but a little corny Corner's Creek (current release, not the 8 year old version of years past), and added it to Maker's Mark, 3:1 Maker's to the other. What happens is the Makers gets deeper in taste, fuller and with a more integrated finish. It may sound odd that this can happen by adding a whiskey that may well be younger, but it can. I'd estimate the Corner Creek at 4 years old, maybe less, the label does not state it is straight bourbon.

And so, I get the flavor that appeals to me.

Gary

It's been a great weekend so far. Last night I opened a Binny's Weller 12 from the bunker. Dangerous stuff, it goes down too easy.

Tonight my wife and I went out for dinner and I had a generously poured Knob Creek with my steak. Nice combination. Returning home, she wanted to have some of her Disaronno amaretto, so I decided it was time to bring out the JPS. I swear, each pour is better than the last with this one.

What to have for Father's Day? A dilemma I look forward to.

Blistering hot & humid today... staying indoors and enjoying some Wathens on the rocks.

I worked all day yesterday and most of the morning today which caused me to miss the shindig in Detroit and/or seeing the reigning 2x BTOTY at the Grand Am race at Mid Ohio.

Luckily work quieted down as Fathers Day progressed and I'm catching up on the race with a nice pour of Binny's Weller 12.

For Fathers day I did some of the cooking but that's only because I wanted to smoke a couple chickens and have some ribs on the barbie. It was all good and enjoyed some afternoon drams with my dad and family. On the bar:

Bushmills Millennium

Balvenie 15 yr Singularity

1978 Old Forester BIB

2009 OWA fm Julios

FRSB 40th

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!