Early Times 150th Anniversary

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

John Hansell's review here.

Advanced Malt Advocate magazine rating: 76

Ouch! I guess I picked a real winner to use as potential swap bait. Oh well, it'll get finshed off, one way or another...

Ouch! I guess I picked a real winner to use as potential swap bait. Oh well, it'll get finshed off, one way or another...

Well, I wouldn't say that Hansell's track record for picking winners is any better. He raved loudest of anyone about some new releases that have been considered really big stinkers on this forum.

Trust your judgment, not the "expert's" numbers.

Roger

Well, I wouldn't say that Hansell's track record for picking winners is any better. He raved loudest of anyone about some new releases that have been considered really big stinkers on this forum.

Trust your judgment, not the "expert's" numbers.

Roger

Are you speaking of the Jefferson's Reserve Presidential Select?

Part of the problem with the ET 150th is that I don't have any judgment yet. I bought blind and more then I wanted for myself, because I knew that distribution was limited and many states wouldn't get any at all. Figured I'd be able to trade some for stuff that wasn't available here.

Not sure if that's really viable now.

Nope.

The Woodford Reserve Four Grain had a huge disconnect between Hansell's recommendation and the tastes of virtually all sb.com members who voiced an opinion - to the point that when Hansell named the second batch "American Whiskey of the Year' that, err... well, read the thread.

In the end, Hansell seemed to really be awarding it "Most Innovative," which made a lot of sense.

Roger

Nope.

The Woodford Reserve Four Grain had a huge disconnect between Hansell's recommendation and the tastes of virtually all sb.com members who voiced an opinion - to the point that when Hansell named the second batch "American Whiskey of the Year' that, err... well, read the thread.

In the end, Hansell seemed to really be awarding it "Most Innovative," which made a lot of sense.

Roger

Roger, I'm curious. Besides the WR FG (second batch), which was a very polarizing whiskey (Jim Murray later gave it a 96 or something like that in his Whisky Bible), which other new releases did I rave about that SB.COMers considered big stinkers? From my experiences, we are pretty much in synch.

I also want to mention that our "Whiskey of the Year Awards" are not necessarily our highest rated whiskeys. Innovation, and other factors are considered, and we make that clear in the awards write-up explanation.

BTW, I enjoy SB.com very much and try to participate when I can.

...which other new releases did I rave about that SB.COMers considered big stinkers? From my experiences, we are pretty much in synch...

Well, my point was that our members should trust themselves - not go from excited to totally disappointed about their whiskey upon reading someone else's review. What makes it less clear cut is that boubon-noob was depending on it's "value" in other people's eyes. If I could have controlled the context it would have been solely about not letting other people determine whether one enjoys one's whiskey.

But yeah, that Four Grain episode will probably be remembered for some time. If I went from memory, you may have favored some BT experimentals more than most, and I personally felt that Forester Repeal was the best bourbon in a Brown Forman bottling in this decade, but that one was all over the board in people's responses to it.

I enjoy reading your blog and I also value your opinion - but not as much as what my own tastebuds tell me. I'm sure you'd advocate for that. :toast:

Roger

Figured I'd be able to trade some for stuff that wasn't available here.

Not sure if that's really viable now.

I'll give you some Magic Beans for one. But just a couple.

Well, my point was that our members should trust themselves - not go from excited to totally disappointed about their whiskey upon reading someone else's review. What makes it less clear cut is that boubon-noob was depending on it's "value" in other people's eyes. If I could have controlled the context it would have been solely about not letting other people determine whether one enjoys one's whiskey.

I think I may have not represented myself properly. I will either like it or not based on my own reactions. Haven't tried any and not sure when I will. It's not on the near-term fast track.

My angle was that I picked up some extras, with the hopes of using them to acquire some bottlings not available in my market. I don't have much trade bait so the chance at something only distributed in 20 states seemed like a reasonable way to get some.

But you have to have someone who wants it and I think some favorable reviews might have helped. Not a huge deal if I end up with standing pat, but it would have been nice to get some new stuff to try.

In my case I have found that when tasters like Msrs. Hansell and Veach post their impressions on Whiskey I usually learn something about the juice and can learn to appreciate it in ways I might have overlooked.

When there is a disconnect between reviews on Bourbons and what I find in my bottle I give it some time and a few more pours. Very often my juice (or my tasternater) becomes more similar than dissimilar.

If it stays significantly different I begin to wonder if the whiskey that was provided to testers is the same as what is bottled for consumers in the provinces. Not accusing because I have no way of knowing - just wondering if certain honey barrels don't find their way to tasters in hopes of good reviews.

In my case I have found that when tasters like Msrs. Hansell and Veach post their impressions on Whiskey I usually learn something about the juice and can learn to appreciate it in ways I might have overlooked.

When there is a disconnect between reviews on Bourbons and what I find in my bottle I give it some time and a few more pours. Very often my juice (or my tasternater) becomes more similar than dissimilar.

If it stays significantly different I begin to wonder if the whiskey that was provided to testers is the same as what is bottled for consumers in the provinces. Not accusing because I have no way of knowing - just wondering if certain honey barrels don't find their way to tasters in hopes of good reviews.

I would think Honey goes to the Boys with clout.:grin:

I see the grin, but in reality this allegation supposes that the producers know with certainty what people will like, that their honey detectors are flawless. If that were the case, they would never strike out, which they do all the time.

I enjoy reading your blog and I also value your opinion - but not as much as what my own tastebuds tell me. I'm sure you'd advocate for that. :toast:

Roger

You got that right! I am a mere (and less significant) substitute for those who don't get the chance to taste and decide themselves what they like. Well said.

I see the grin, but in reality this allegation supposes that the producers know with certainty what people will like, that their honey detectors are flawless. If that were the case, they would never strike out, which they do all the time.

Good point, Chuck!

• 3 weeks later...

This is available in select ABC stores in Alabama. I could not find it on the price list, but my stepson (damn, I'm old) brought me a bottle that he picked up in West Mobile.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.